The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Good for a tank?

rptrainer
rptrainer
✭✭
Now, I know my build is not good, not guild worthy or even pvp but I would like to know if this good enough. I base my cp nodes just like on alcast. I don't know how to post a pic or link it 😞
Dragon Knight CP:473 Race: Argonian
HP: 40.6k
Physical Resistance: 31k
Spell Resistance: 35k
Gears: 5 Plague Doctor, 5 Fortified Brass, 2 Morihaus
Thanks.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of ways to tank, and I am sure that you will feel very tanky in that setup. I think the pushback you would receive is likely that all the stats you listed are probably overkill.

In PVE 40k+ health is getting into the range where your other stats might be suffering. In PVE, there is really no reason to go above 32k resists, and even that is more than most end game tanks will have. You also have a totally selfish setup that really doesnt do much for your group. Dont get me wrong, ill take this setup from a pug tank over a lot of others because you should be hard to kill, but there are certrainly better options.

In PVP, you will probably struggle to kill anything, but assuming you have decent stat regen, you will be tough to kill as well.

Also, almost anything would be better than 2 piece Morihaus. You want some combo of monster sets.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on January 14, 2019 10:05PM
  • rptrainer
    rptrainer
    ✭✭
    Ouch, i know what you mean. Damage wise, very low. Question is, what monster set though, I've never been part of any group(literally). I can only run Normal Dungeons and have very low gold budget.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For PVE, that's a fine build for normal dungeons. In fact, that's overkill on the tankiness for normal dungeons :) That's not a problem as long as you are happy with the way you play.

I like to put it this way:
    A basic tank holds boss aggro and doesnt die.
    A good tank holds boss aggro, crowd controls mobs, taunts priority mobs that can one shot others, debuffs the boss, buffs the group, blocks, bashes. Interrupts, follows mechanics, and doesnt die.

So if you are happy with how your build lets you do those things, awesome!

If not, here's some ideas.
    Ebon Armory - obtained from Crypt of Hearts, this is very close to Plague Doctor for you, plus gives an extra 1k health to the group. (Not as important in 4 man dungeons, but needed in most trial groups)

Torug's Pact - crafted set used with weapons using the Crusher enchantment to further debuff the boss (a good alternative to Alkosh, which requires running trials)

For normal dungeons, I pair Ebon (I used to use Plague Doctor) with some other set that fits how I want to play. I've tried various sets like Livewire, Knightmare, etc, and as long as I have enough magicka and regen (I'm a MagDK) to fuel my crowd control, I'm happy. For reference, on a pure tanking fight, I typically do around 4-6k DPS.

Monster Sets
    Monster sets are obtained from Vet Dungeons, the Undaunted Chests or bought for gold or AP from the Golden Vendor in Cyrodiil on weekends.

Since you are experienced with running normals, I'll tailor my suggestions accordingly.

Kragh's - vet Fungal Grotto 1 is really easy to run and should be a breeze with your current set-up, so if you want to dip your tanking toes into vet dungeons, this isnt a terrible starter monster set. It will give you some extra penetration and a little AOE damage.

Grothdarr - vet Vaults of Madness is long, but not hard as long as you follow mechanics. Grothdarr gives you fire damage in a ring around you, which works well if you cluster up the adds via crowd control and then wade in.

Those two are easy to acquire and should help you towards getting some of the others you might want.
    I like:
    Bloodspawn - good ultimate generation
    Lord Warden - buffed resistances in a ring
    Mighty Chudan/Pirate - for when you really want resistances
    Swarm Mother - if you like range taunting and holding block all the time, this set does good crowd control

But really, go with whatever you like for your playstyle. I wear Grothdarr for Normals and Lord Warden for Vets.

For PVP,
    It depends on what you are trying to do as a tank.
    If you are learning to PVP, I do like to get more tanky than you would for PVP. I learned to PVP heal by wearing Plague Doctor because the extra health let me live long enough to learn from my mistakes before I died, LOL. Now that I know what I'm doing, I can run around in light armor and feel just as tanky. I did like running Fortified Brass in medium when I was learning to play my stam warden in PVP, but again, I've since swapped to other sets that better fit how I wanted to play.

So for learning, high health and high resistances are good. So is impen trait armor.

But if you want to 1vX or tank large groups, you'll want to look at your sustain, your self-heals, and how you plan on bursting your enemies down. There, you may want to look at sets like Shacklebreaker or 7th Legion, Skoria, or Selene's.

Hope this helps!
  • rptrainer
    rptrainer
    ✭✭
    I'm currently 3 of 5 with ebon armory but since I don't have enough gold for upgrades, all of my gear quality will drop to blue. Currently the only greens are the 2 rings, 1 legendary (chest), the rest purple.

I do want to try some of the vet dungeons or even trials to get those monster sets. I don't queue up for dungeons and of course i don't have a guild. Sorry if i always say that at least I don't have to worry if anyone dies.

For pvp, I'm sorry if i say this, I saw a thread about berating PVE'rs will never set foot on cyro. True for me at least, I never have experienced pvp especially here. I'm not even doing the current event.

Anyway, thanks for the inputs.
    Edited by rptrainer on January 15, 2019 1:45AM
  • paulychan
    paulychan
    ✭✭✭✭
    No matter what you run for gear, boost your magicka regen. It's very important for heals
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not entirely sure why someone else would recommend kragh or grothdarr for tanking monster sets, doesn’t matter if they’re easy to get or not. You’d be better off just crafting or finding a 2 piece magicka recovery bonus.

In general, 2 different pieces of monster sets that give you magicka recovery is pretty much default. For certain content, you’ll eventually be able to sub in earthgore, lord warden, and maybe something else I’m forgetting- instead of the 2 different single piece bonuses.

rip decibel