The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Question about numbers - Lower levels

Solidus2
Solidus2
Hey everyone, I just wanted to inquire about some lower-level stuff I've found (because I imagine knowledge of these things will carry straight into endgame later).
I'm level 30 on my Magblade. I have my front and backbars set up - Front is mostly class skills, backbar is buffs and HoT's. I feel like it's a strong setup. I run 5l - 2h armor, which engages good passives. I've researched a ton of my favorite magblade gameplay online. Overall I'm loving it with the exception of one thing - Duelling/pvp.

I duelled a level 27 templar whom I hit for 3-400 per hit. His health just didn't even move with an opening Heavy attack + Concealed Weapon both critting. He slammed me with three back to back abilities for 6000-7000 and pretty much just 3 shot me and walked away. What is that all about?
All of my gear is level 27-30, stuff I've picked up questing. 1700 spellpower, 34% crit, 22k magicka. I know it's weak, but it's level 30...how did this templar hit so hard? How are his stats so unbelievably powerful at a lower level than me?

Is he running multiple full sets already? Should I? Wouldn't these just be replaced really quickly? (I'm level 30 after about 5 good days of playing, it goes FAST!)

Anyway, I'm definitely not focusing on PvP yet, and I'm definitely capable of enjoying the levelling and pve content as-is right now. I just need to know how this guy got this kind of an edge in case I would like to do the same, especially as I approach endgame later. Thank you!
  • jeedrzej
    jeedrzej
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Multiple sets of course.
    PLUS
    He can be CP810 and have access to his all Champion Points. Its huge diffrence
    Jeedrzej - Magica Dragonknight lvl 50
    Ealian Elieilijas - Magica Sorcerer lvl 50
    Enerias Kazner - Magica Templar lvl 50
    Marcelius SIlny - Stamina Dragonknight lvl 50
    Anvena Kazner - Stamina NIghtblade lvl 50
    Arcynekromantka Anastazja - Magica Nightblade lvl 50
    Threiva Krwawooka - Stamina Sorcerer lvl 50
    Anvena Karen - Stamina Templat lvl 50
    Furia Dorathis - Stamina Dragonknight lvl 50
    Verinia Dziecię Światła - Magica Templar lvl 50
    Anwen Llenariolis - Magica Warden lvl 50
    Welandil Mroźne Serce - Magicka Warden lvl 50
    Brunein Silny - Stamina Warden lvl 50
    Jilialis Szept Nocy - Magicka Sorcerer lvl 50
    Dareiva Tancerka Cieni - Stamina NIghtblade lvl 50
    Doweriusz Desson - Magicka Necromancer lvl 40

Achievement Hunter
    32560 Achievement Points
    CP1203
    3916 collected books
    305 days in-game
  • Solidus2
    Solidus2
    Oh, i was under the impression I could see CP levels next to names: *810 "Player Name."

If somebody is running a level 27, but has 810 account CP from his or her main, then there's no way to see those CP levels? It would just show 27 "Player Name"?

That makes me feel better, I think.
  • jeedrzej
    jeedrzej
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup. He can be "hiding" to feel pro while fighting against newbes. Thats why below 50 PVP campaigns and battlegrounds are nonCP
    Jeedrzej - Magica Dragonknight lvl 50
    Ealian Elieilijas - Magica Sorcerer lvl 50
    Enerias Kazner - Magica Templar lvl 50
    Marcelius SIlny - Stamina Dragonknight lvl 50
    Anvena Kazner - Stamina NIghtblade lvl 50
    Arcynekromantka Anastazja - Magica Nightblade lvl 50
    Threiva Krwawooka - Stamina Sorcerer lvl 50
    Anvena Karen - Stamina Templat lvl 50
    Furia Dorathis - Stamina Dragonknight lvl 50
    Verinia Dziecię Światła - Magica Templar lvl 50
    Anwen Llenariolis - Magica Warden lvl 50
    Welandil Mroźne Serce - Magicka Warden lvl 50
    Brunein Silny - Stamina Warden lvl 50
    Jilialis Szept Nocy - Magicka Sorcerer lvl 50
    Dareiva Tancerka Cieni - Stamina NIghtblade lvl 50
    Doweriusz Desson - Magicka Necromancer lvl 40

Achievement Hunter
    32560 Achievement Points
    CP1203
    3916 collected books
    305 days in-game
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solidus2 wrote: »
    Oh, i was under the impression I could see CP levels next to names: *810 "Player Name."

If somebody is running a level 27, but has 810 account CP from his or her main, then there's no way to see those CP levels? It would just show 27 "Player Name"?

That makes me feel better, I think.

Always be wary about dueling low level players. These are usually CP capped players with twinked out alts in gold gear designed to obliterate real low level players (and some unsuspecting lower CP players who think “sure I’ll duel this low level noob”). The reason why you were doing no damage is likely a combo of the player in question using impenetrable gear and mitigation CP.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes your right if your below level 49 it won't show how many champion points someone has it only shows there level its funny to duel people as a low level that's actually maxed out in CP why we can't see CP of lowbies or aleast have some marker on Lowbies that tells people its an alternate character and not there first character or something.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a number of possible factors.

Battleleveling/Gear - your stats and damage will scale with your gear quality. So if the templar had purple quality gear in a matched set close to their level, they'll hit harder.

Building for PVP - in PVP, you want to build for crit resistance through impenetrable trait. You'll want to have a self-heal ticking, decent resistances, and go for either burst damage or pressure through DOTs and bleeds. Chances are, this player was experienced at and built for dueling, or at least for PVP.
    Edited by VaranisArano on December 27, 2018 3:02PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just so you know, the Under 50 PvP Campaign has no Champ Points, so your just gear and skill choices.

Also, while some people focus on getting levels, others focus on getting Skill Points, so they have more to invest in Passives. It really takes 120 to 150, or more, Skill Points to have a fully realized character in that you have all the Class, Weapon, Armor and Guild Passives that contribute to your power. Granted, an L30 won't have all the passives unlocked, but most people at L30 can't invest in all the passives that they have unlocked.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Solidus2
    Solidus2

Battleleveling/Gear - your stats and damage will scale with your gear quality. So if the templar had purple quality gear in a matched set close to their level, they'll hit harder.

Building for PVP - in PVP, you want to build for crit resistance through impenetrable trait. You'll want to have a self-heal ticking, decent resistances, and go for either burst damage or pressure through DOTs and bleeds. Chances are, this player was experienced at and built for dueling, or at least for PVP.

I see this as less of the reason for what I experienced.
    1) If he were built for impen/sturdy stacking survivability, each of those traits are not damage traits. It doesn't explain him doing that kind of damage.

2) It's a duel, where you can see a player power up the buffs during the countdown. I promise, there were none. He knew he didn't even need a single buff or HoT. That was strange to me.

3) I was toying around comparing a piece of gear I could craft at blue, then upgraded to purple. It's like a 1-2% difference for the trait. Yes, it will add up, but it's not the difference between 400 and 7000 on a spammable.

I definitely see the above posts as my answer, though. This guy clearly had the edge of multiple sets, maximising his stats with those bonuses or procs, and had to have numerous CP levels. It makes sense that all of these things put together add up to this insanity. I just wish there were a way to spot this kind of diversity now. There's no way for me to know if I go up against someone decked out in golds, full sets, full CP. No nametag showing CP, no inspection feature. I guess I'll just stay away from this sort of thing until I max out my gear and hit at least CP160.
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cp and sets make a huge difference.

I had a lowbie character i'd crafter training set armour for, like always. I started duelling just for the fun of it. Even with no passives and just one bar you'll be surprised at the damage you can do just having max cp. I was level 9 with duellist title in an afternoon lol

If you're going to pvp, do it in kyne or sotha sil so cp isnt a factor. And get yourself some sets.
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • Solidus2
    Solidus2
    Cool, thanks for the info bud.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solidus2 wrote: »

I see this as less of the reason for what I experienced.
    1) If he were built for impen/sturdy stacking survivability, each of those traits are not damage traits. It doesn't explain him doing that kind of damage.

2) It's a duel, where you can see a player power up the buffs during the countdown. I promise, there were none. He knew he didn't even need a single buff or HoT. That was strange to me.

3) I was toying around comparing a piece of gear I could craft at blue, then upgraded to purple. It's like a 1-2% difference for the trait. Yes, it will add up, but it's not the difference between 400 and 7000 on a spammable.

I definitely see the above posts as my answer, though. This guy clearly had the edge of multiple sets, maximising his stats with those bonuses or procs, and had to have numerous CP levels. It makes sense that all of these things put together add up to this insanity. I just wish there were a way to spot this kind of diversity now. There's no way for me to know if I go up against someone decked out in golds, full sets, full CP. No nametag showing CP, no inspection feature. I guess I'll just stay away from this sort of thing until I max out my gear and hit at least CP160.

While you are probably correct about the reason for what you experienced, I want to point out an area I think needs further explanation.

Impen is not a damage set. It is, however, what the majority of PVPers use, because it gives crit resistance. So, I take your failure to hit hard on crits as an indication that this player was built for PVP (and I'm guessing you don't have much in the way of crit resistance yourself given questing gear). Your experience also indicates that the player is built for burst damage - very common in PVP. In short, CP or not, you were playing against someone built for this form of PVP - and quite frankly, in PVP the experienced player will almost always win regardless of extra gear and buffs.

So my point is that, speaking generally of PVP, you are going to see this again as you PVP. Regardless of how leveled you get, you will see the crit-resistant, self-healing, hard-hitting duellist again. Because that is very common in PVP, even in the no CP Battlegrounds and Kyne.

Your best bet, beyond doing the leveling and CP gain yourself, is to also practice and build for PVP. PVP has a very steep learning curve in ESO and it rewards the experienced and the prepared.
  • Solidus2
    Solidus2
    True, I suppose if I wore a full set with Impen traits, his crits wouldn't have been anywhere near that high while my damage would be improved. This would be closing the gap from both sides.