The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Suggestion] Pledge of Mara - Before V-Day! a fix for happier players and better sales

jediodyn_ESO
jediodyn_ESO
✭✭✭✭
As of this posting It's early Jan. The best promotional time for this product is Valentines Day (mid Feb) if you get this going now, you can make it on time for the usual V-Day event when sales would be the highest all year.

The Pledge of Mara is a bad buy. It's also a misleading purchase since it is marketed to benefit lower level, inexperienced players who will not understand how giving up a set bonus piece will really be something most players want to avoid right about when this purchase will become most valuable. Yes, it has roleplay value, but that's about it, making it less than what it can (easilly?)
and should be.

Problem:
The majority of the "exp grind" happens once your hit the lower to mid CP levels and at that point yes, having two people in the group not getting a 5 piece bonus from one of their sets is very much a hindrance. If a player is leveling up then they are already usually disadvantaged with skills/dps and this just makes it worse.

Suggested Solution:
Get rid of the actual ring. Turn it into a 'Ceremony of Mara" and make the ring an effect, like Werewolf or Vampire that gives you a permanent status. it would only work for the two players who get that specific buff. Players would actually value it, AND ZoS could even sell "Divorces" that would allow players to remove the effect (and thereby purchase another "ring/ceremony") with someone else! Include the ring as a housing item or token inventory item if you like. Make the pledge and divorce character specific (like WW/Vamp) not account, so that each character needs a marriage. Players will, complain a little, but the overall population will almost certainly be OK with that.

For the players who already purchased this, give them a free pledge (one character) or do nothing. The people who care will get over it and the people who don't will buy the new pledge anyway.

This solution would not only 1) increase sales; 2) make the product being sold actually have fair value; 3) create an additional incentive to attract new players and; 4) create an additional source of revenue as players marry and remarry other players.

I relinquish any rights or claim to these ideas or names if ZoS actually wants to implement them. My motivation in to contribute to make this game better. Which includes making it more profitable whenever that profit also rights a wrong and benefits the players.

P.S. Make the divorce more expensive than the wedding, just for added realism.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What do you have against polygamy? I was able to satisfy two at once... with more xp lol

Just make it part of the ever burgeoning outfit system. I say a ring for each finger! Up to %100 xp boost for all ten digits.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be fair you could actually use Willpower/Agility/Endurance with a full 5 piece set, a monster set, and two Rings of Mara. It’s not the worst deal
  • jediodyn_ESO
    jediodyn_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »
    To be fair you could actually use Willpower/Agility/Endurance with a full 5 piece set, a monster set, and two Rings of Mara. It’s not the worst deal

Ring of Mars has zero stats. For you AND you partner. Even disregarding the denial of set bonus this is terrible. If you think this is worth 10% exp in any sort of content learning situation, you would be in the minority.

The idea is to sell an item that a) people actually would want to use; and b) will actually help new players out (not just because of the exp bonus but because it encourages mentoring).

Not sure why you would argue against making this item better. Overall consensus is that it needs an update and this would be the right tine to do it.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is OP grinding for XP that is a hinderance with 5/2/4 sets?

When I did my CP grinding awhile back I used gear two levels lower with training traits. I had no issues.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »

Ring of Mars has zero stats. For you AND you partner. Even disregarding the denial of set bonus this is terrible. If you think this is worth 10% exp in any sort of content learning situation, you would be in the minority.

The idea is to sell an item that a) people actually would want to use; and b) will actually help new players out (not just because of the exp bonus but because it encourages mentoring).

Not sure why you would argue against making this item better. Overall consensus is that it needs an update and this would be the right tine to do it.

I’m not arguing against it being made more useful, I’ve got one sitting in my main’s inventory that I pretty much never equip.

But even in its current state, you can still create setups with 3 full sets. I know people knock on the 3-piece sets but they are useful for the newer players who are the target audience for the rings of Mara, so I feel like the scorn for it is slightly unjustified

Plus, as someone asked. If you’re just going for levels cp10-cp160, the majority of which will actually be reached by doing questing, what need will you have for another full 5 piece over a 3 piece set. It’s much the same as front barring a Master/Maelstrom weapon, will less detriment due to the type of content being played. If you opt out of getting a monster set until cp160 then you could still have two full 5 piece sets and then an extra spot for anything else
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might actually use mine if such a thing existed. Anyone want to marry Tasear come such a day? ;)