The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Trying to understand how builds work in ESO?

sgy0003b14_ESO
sgy0003b14_ESO
Soul Shriven
Hi guys, just bought this game, and I am trying to figure out how builds work in ESO. More specifically, DPS Dragonknight build which I am trying to follow here:
http://deltiasgaming.com/eso-stamina-dragonknight-dps-build/#burning

Now, there are a few things I am not getting from this build;
1. So this guide doesn't talk about where I should be investing attribute points to between Magika, Health, and stamina. I am aware this has been standard in Elder Scrolls games, but I am trying to be more careful here since I can't do jack-of-all-trade builds like in Skyrim. I currently have 1 Magika and 2 for Health and Stamina each. Am I doing anything wrong here?

2. The guide lists abilities, both active and passive that would be best for the build. However, at my current level I can't put points into the recommended skills and abilities. Do I save up my points until I reach the appropriate level, or use it to unlock the ones that are readily available?

3. Do races matter in this game? I always played Imperial in the past game, but I decided to go with Breton since they have been marketed to "excel in spellcraft and swordplay" I am doing Dual wield DK, and wondering if Breton is made out be what the marketing says

4. Speaking of race, should I invest a couple of points in racial abilities?

5. Same question as #2, but with weapons; Invest points until reaching the appropriate level, or put it into a ability or passive that are available?

I don't really play MMOs, and the only other MMO I played recently was SWTOR. I can see that ESO is bit more complex than SWTOR when it comes to builds
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you going to be Stamina or Magicka? Tank, Healer or Damage Dealer? Racer matter here.

At lvl 1 just try to unlock every skill you can, and level everything. Test every skill until you are 160cp, which is when you can start thinking about building correctly. Right now is just learning skills and mechanics.
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before i begin.... im not encouraging you to use that build. This is general advice.

1) generally if you are dps you should stack all your attributes into either magicka or stamina depending on the build you are running. This is due to them providing the correct resource for casting the damage skills you will be using and also making those skills hit harder the higher the resource pool is. Stamina dragon knight using abilities that cost stamina amd physical weapon abilities you should stack all points into stamina.

2) take whatever passives you can afford once you have got your skills unlocked. If you arr low level then the build doesnt really matter anyway. Wait till you have everything unlocked and are at high level to take all your passives. Initially focus on class and race passives and any weapon line passives that reduce the cost of the weapon abilities from the weapon you are using.

3) Race matters a lot. Disclaimer. Racial balance changes are coming. Not sure how drastic. But the passives currently make q huge difference on your ability to sustain yourself over a dights duration and perform damage. currently for stam dk i would recommend redgaurd.

4) yes. Racial passives are very powerful. Redguard for example will increase your stamina, your stamina regen and will return stamina to you from doing attacks. This is why it is a top choice for stamina dps. You can imagine a high elf for example that boosts magicka pool, magicks regen amd your elemental damage would be next to useless if you are conducting stamina based and physical weapon attacks.

5) take the skills first, then apply points intobpassives that reduce the cost of the weapon skill line abilities. Then when you have enough points... take all passives of all lines you are using.

The game is very skill point itensive. Grab those shards, complete quests that give skill points including main quest, do public dungeon group events and complete all dungeons quests (on normal is fine).

To be honest alcasthq.com has very good guides for beginners for all classes and roles. I recommend a browse if you are curious about a biuild.

Best advice is to join some active pve guilds and ask questions.

Good luck mate.
  • Thorstienn
    Thorstienn
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the game.
    You will find it a very different experience to SWTOR, I know I did Haha.
    First thing, Deltias site is pretty out of date these days (though that want effect you for now), so when it gets to more end game you will want to check out someone else (Alcast being the popular choice).
    In saying that, deltias guides are far more beginner friendly that Alcasts. All your questions are actually answered on the page you linked if you scroll up Haha.
    It has a leveling section, where it will tell you how to set up your bars as you level, under miscellaneous it mentions races, attribute points and mundus. The tabs for "priority passives" will help with that aspect.
    Other tips, try and find a fun guild, get into dungeons/battlegrounds etc whenever you can, so they dont be one a daunting experience in the future.
    Good luck. If you're NA-PC, feel free to add me in game (same name as here) if you every need a hand.
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Race matters a little bit right now hopefully far less after the racial balance fixes.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worry less about it until you get enough skill points to do the build properly. You can change everything except class at anytime for in-game gold (race requires crowns). Choose your class for your main character wisely. Just pick the skills and passives that look best and use them for now. Soon you will have hundreds of skill points to distribute. Don’t worry about gear sets until you are CP 160 minimum so that all the gear you get is max level cap (for gear).
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try playing around with this build maker to avoid confusion. https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?filter=mine