The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Character slots

Chaos2088
Chaos2088
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Dear Zos

Could we have more character slots please, I would like to have a character for each class for each role (4 each) 25 slots in total. Onone account/server pretty please with sugar on top!! :)
@Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your math is off.

4 Roles, 5 Classes, equals 20 Slots
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You are correct lol 😂
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • JaZ2091
    JaZ2091
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Your math is off.

Don't forget one of each race too.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JaZ2091 wrote: »
    Your math is off.

Don't forget one of each race too.

Somewhere around 200 slots? 4 roles per class and per race. Not doing the actual math but I think that is close enough.
  • Psyonico
    Psyonico
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why there is a limit TBH, if people want to keep buying them, why prevent it?
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Psyonico wrote: »
    I don't see why there is a limit TBH, if people want to keep buying them, why prevent it?
    Because they never planned out properly beyond the initial eight slots.

It's why if you nuke a character and change your mind, the likelihood of success is greatly diminished if it was not one of the original eight, you do anything with your bank in the meantime, it's a Thursday, or you hop on one foot in a counter-clockwise circle.

Allocating resources and assigning pointers accordingly should be a simple thing. Restoring (or releasing) those resources should be equally simple. With ZoS, you'll find it's anything but.

Remove those limits and bad things will ensue.

Edited by Merlin13KAGL on December 26, 2018 6:15PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • DMBCML
    DMBCML
    ✭✭✭
    What bad things? Seriously. This is a notable factor as to whether or not we pre-order the next chapter. We don't want to delete any character, nor change characters. We are a married couple who characters all have been mated to our IRL spouse's characters. Those characters all have their own back story and to change class or skills would delete that. We sometimes have to go months without playing together, and it is nice to have that story to go back to. It's like "Honey, who do you want to be tonight?" And we play those characters. We had to be offline for about two months this time. Before that we had to be offline for 3 months. And months here and there intermittently. We always like knowing that what we did have time for is still there, just as we left it, more or less.

Oh, and I love your tag line about not liking something the way it is.

Psyonico wrote: »
    Because they never planned out properly beyond the initial eight slots.

It's why if you nuke a character and change your mind, the likelihood of success is greatly diminished if it was not one of the original eight, you do anything with your bank in the meantime, it's a Thursday, or you hop on one foot in a counter-clockwise circle.

Allocating resources and assigning pointers accordingly should be a simple thing. Restoring (or releasing) those resources should be equally simple. With ZoS, you'll find it's anything but.

Remove those limits and bad things will ensue.

• dannymcgr81b14_ESO
    dannymcgr81b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    How many slots do we have now?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have 15 slots, but 8 is stock.

Not sure why there is a limit, as we are almost double the original amount and soon to add 1 or 2? more. I do know there were some issues with the original database, but they can add fields as evidenced by our ability to now move characters order around. That took adding a field to the database. More rows is not really an issue.

In fact, I think the only reason we don't have more than 15 slots is most people don't come close to using all of them. For the record, I am using all 15. I am sure that cost is the major determining factor for most people to add more slots over the stock 8.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DMBCML wrote: »
    What bad things? Seriously. This is a notable factor as to whether or not we pre-order the next chapter. We don't want to delete any character, nor change characters. We are a married couple who characters all have been mated to our IRL spouse's characters. Those characters all have their own back story and to change class or skills would delete that. We sometimes have to go months without playing together, and it is nice to have that story to go back to. It's like "Honey, who do you want to be tonight?" And we play those characters. We had to be offline for about two months this time. Before that we had to be offline for 3 months. And months here and there intermittently. We always like knowing that what we did have time for is still there, just as we left it, more or less.

@DMBCML I suspect it comes down to how storage is allocated, server side. I expect when you make an account, you are allotted a 'block of eight' because that is what the original base game came with. That space is likely reserved whether you end up using it or not, because if it wasn't, there would be some seriously upset people when they went to make a new character and got some odd error code as to why there wasn't enough space.

The other slots (even the free ones assigned with new classes) get tacked on somewhere in the ether. While it should be a reasonable thing to assign, attach, and even allow to linger (upon deletion) until the storage space was absolutely needed, the code they use to implement this isn't so straightfoward.

ZoS is nothing if not masters of the Law of Unintended Consequences. (They're duping NA characters again on PTS right now to 'test some database code.') You'll hear cool stories of banks disappearing, housing disappearing, entire guilds disappearing, among assorted other things. If they're having trouble (database) managing the existing scenario, removing all limits to that would likely amplify any underlying bugs.

I'm all for additional slots, don't get me wrong. I suspect there will be a single one provided with the introduction of Necro. I would prefer to see 2 additional ones available, so you can run the trinity with them as you like.

I am impressed at the level of dedication you and your spouse have to keep the ties in game as well as you do. I am equally impressed that neither of you are willing to compromise that. I also refuse to summarily execute a character for a handful of reasons. I'd much rather have one sit idle, but unbroken, and use the option to start fresh.

I suspect you'll get one slot at no cost. What they opt to do beyond that, and whether or not they get it right, remains to be seen. Hope that clarifies a little what I meant originally.
    Thankyou for that. It's about the most genuine thing I could come up with that applies universally. I feel it's a good reminder, often for myself right before I might embark on a rant.

Hopefully ZoS has things figured out (marketing, code, hard drive rack space) and things work out well.

Best of luck to you and yours!

Merlin

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • DMBCML
    DMBCML
    ✭✭✭
    Merlin,

I think I read that there will be a free slot and more to purchase. That was all the information I could find. Probably we will do the one free one since we don't get to play as often as we like.

Thanks for the compliment on our dedication to our marriage, both IRL and in game. The game is where we go when we want to exclude the rest of the world from our life. We've weathered some pretty bad storms, including loosing everything to Hurricane Harvey and not getting paid by insurance, unemployment, sicknesses. You know, pretty much life. When the tension gets so thick you can cut it with a knife, we hide in the game. If you see our characters, imagine him holding her hand and leading her around... He hits and I heal (most of the time).

I hope you find your alt's and give them lives. :) It's really quite fun.

Have a great day.

DMB
    DMBCML wrote: »

@DMBCML I suspect it comes down to how storage is allocated, server side. I expect when you make an account, you are allotted a 'block of eight' because that is what the original base game came with. That space is likely reserved whether you end up using it or not, because if it wasn't, there would be some seriously upset people when they went to make a new character and got some odd error code as to why there wasn't enough space.

The other slots (even the free ones assigned with new classes) get tacked on somewhere in the ether. While it should be a reasonable thing to assign, attach, and even allow to linger (upon deletion) until the storage space was absolutely needed, the code they use to implement this isn't so straightfoward.

ZoS is nothing if not masters of the Law of Unintended Consequences. (They're duping NA characters again on PTS right now to 'test some database code.') You'll hear cool stories of banks disappearing, housing disappearing, entire guilds disappearing, among assorted other things. If they're having trouble (database) managing the existing scenario, removing all limits to that would likely amplify any underlying bugs.

I'm all for additional slots, don't get me wrong. I suspect there will be a single one provided with the introduction of Necro. I would prefer to see 2 additional ones available, so you can run the trinity with them as you like.

I am impressed at the level of dedication you and your spouse have to keep the ties in game as well as you do. I am equally impressed that neither of you are willing to compromise that. I also refuse to summarily execute a character for a handful of reasons. I'd much rather have one sit idle, but unbroken, and use the option to start fresh.

I suspect you'll get one slot at no cost. What they opt to do beyond that, and whether or not they get it right, remains to be seen. Hope that clarifies a little what I meant originally.
    Thankyou for that. It's about the most genuine thing I could come up with that applies universally. I feel it's a good reminder, often for myself right before I might embark on a rant.

Hopefully ZoS has things figured out (marketing, code, hard drive rack space) and things work out well.

Best of luck to you and yours!

Merlin

• Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your math is off.

4 roles says you.

There's magicka / stamina damage, tanking, healing, and potentially hybrids thereof. I would guess that their 5th is mag / stam damage.
  • RGvolterra
    RGvolterra
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve already run out of character slot and if ESO does not offer us more slots I won’t be able to create a necromancer character :(
    Wish we could have at least 20 slots .
  • Nightowl42
    Nightowl42
    Soul Shriven
    I'm thinking 20 slots maximum too. But that is one for each race/gender combination. An alternative would be to purchase a second account just to get 8 slots. But I'd rather keep it to one account as I can only afford to keep up one ESO Plus subscription and I wouldn't have to worry about missing content packs on a second account.

With the 1650 crowns per month, slowly buy up the slots needed. I'm hoping for at least 18. With only 18 I won't be as tempted to buy the Imperial race.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    10 races, 6 classes (because Necromancer), 2 attributes, 3 roles + 1pvp = 480 character slots please :3
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Sergg007
    Sergg007
    ✭✭✭✭
    more mules please, I want collect all sets in the game
  • Most_Awesome
    Most_Awesome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6 Classes
    6 Stam
    6 Magica

3 factions

I need to more slots :)
  • Turokos_Vampires
    Turokos_Vampires
    ✭✭✭
    That is one thing I love about SWTOR, 40 character slots in that game. Wish we had that many options here...