Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

To reduce the lag reduce the data transferred

• heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    heavier wrote: »
    Ranger209 wrote: »
    Here's as example using healing springs in an excessive amount for dramatic effect.
    Let's say you have 10 players each casting 3 layers of springs. At the most extreme point you will have 30 layers of springs on the ground, pulsing 4 times each one second apart, with the ability to heal 180 players. Each pulse of each layer of springs has to figure out which 6 players it will heal and then heal them accordingly. That's a lot going on.

This could be changed one of two ways according to OP. It could be a self only hot which doesn't have to figure out who to heal pulses every 2 seconds for twice the amount of healing each pulse, healing only the 10 players that cast it. Or it could be changed to an AoE direct heal that heals every target within its radius one time for 4 times the healing power. It does have to figure out who to heal, but it is all inclusive, or all exclusive depending on who is within the radius. Both of these ways of the spell working require orders of magnitude less calculations by the server to perform the heals.

a simpler solution would be to reduce their radius so you have to really intentionally get healed by it.
    or even make it stay on target after leaving proc circle very briefly to offset reduced efficacy

never nerf healers (^: without directly compensating
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    to elaborate :
    let the springs effect idle until it is activated by a player walking into it, thusly further reducing overhead.
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are only 2 ways to reduce the lag in game. Create a bigger pipeline or reduce what travels thru the current pipeline. Since creating a bigger pipeline probably involves overhauling the engine itself lets look at reducing the data that travels through the pipeline. Below I will list ways to do that, some which may stand alone, and some which may be built upon others. Each idea is singular at its heart and a stand alone independent idea, but could be used with others listed for greater effect.

Dots and Hots is where we start. Right now some Dots and Hots tick every 2 seconds, some tick every second, I think some tick every half second. Make all Hots and Dots tick every 2 seconds period, end of discussion. This alone will reduce the data transferred by any Dots and Hots that tick every half second by a factor of 4 and those that tick every second by a factor of 2. The ticks will need to be 2 times and 4 times stronger so that the dps or hps of these abilities in the end is the same, they just pulse much slower. This includes proctato and cheese.

Make Dots and Hots single target only. This will reduce the data transferred by a factor of however many targets that specific ability can hit, or on average does hit. Hots would be self only heals while Dots would only effect 1 single target. They may need to be increased in strength to accommodate the fact that they are only single target. Certain classes may need access to more or better Hots for self healing.

Give direct damage abilities cool downs. Spamables with a damage rating deemed appropriate for a spamable would get a 1 second cooldown. Heavier hitters could get a 2 second cooldown, or a 1 second cooldown and 1 second cast time. These would do more damage than spamables by a significant margin. Complete blasters that would do even more damage, but get a 3 second or more cool down. These can be single target or AoE but are not channeled nor over time abilities.

Heals, get rid of smart targeting. Make all AoE heals so that if you are within the radius you get the heal, if you are outside the radius you don't. All AoE heals are direct heals, no AoE Hot heals. Self heals can be HoT or a direct self heal. Again the strength of these heals may need to be adjusted and balanced.

All special effects that are part of all types of these Dots, HOts, DD, DH of the CC variety would also obey any of these above mentioned rules that were adopted. No over time CC, only single target CC or AoE off of AoE direct damage that doesn't reapply the CC after the initial hit.

Gonna stop there as I probably am already pissing too many people off, but will follow up later with light attack weaving and the effects of it on server performance. It is time to re-think the amount of data that is getting pushed through the pipeline and come up with creative ways to reduce it, while at the same time maintaining current DPS/HPS numbers by pushing fewer larger numbers through rather than more smaller numbers through.

No cooldowns pls. I stopped playing ffxiv for that reason. Cooldowns make the game slow and boring. ESO is the main mmo that lets you play as fast as God of War and Call of Duty. It must stay that way.
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is that the hideous lag we encounter in Cyrodiil is server processing lag. We see it represented in ping not because the network connections are saturated, but because the server load is so high that even responses to ping requests become lagged.

The 'server' is actually multiple machines, of course. The ESO server tech is supposed to segment battles so that a big fight at Ash doesn't lag players at BRK, but for some reason that doesn't work.

IMO, the main problem is that ZOS didn't design the server tech for how the game is played. I don't think the game was designed for us to have enough recovery to constantly spam abilities as quickly as we do.

Futhermore, I think ESO is profiled and optimized to work well in 12 player instances. This became more true as the emphasis of the game switched almost entirely to PVE and ZOS introduced 12 player PVP.

I believe the true solution to AvA lag is to separate AvA game design from the rest of the game and design gameplay around the limitations of the server. Another solution is to design better gameplay to create PVP opportunities across the map. ZOS has been very unimaginative in doing so -- probably because they don't allocate the resources necessary for it to be done well.
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    My understanding is that the hideous lag we encounter in Cyrodiil is server processing lag. We see it represented in ping not because the network connections are saturated, but because the server load is so high that even responses to ping requests become lagged.

The 'server' is actually multiple machines, of course. The ESO server tech is supposed to segment battles so that a big fight at Ash doesn't lag players at BRK, but for some reason that doesn't work.

IMO, the main problem is that ZOS didn't design the server tech for how the game is played. I don't think the game was designed for us to have enough recovery to constantly spam abilities as quickly as we do.

Futhermore, I think ESO is profiled and optimized to work well in 12 player instances. This became more true as the emphasis of the game switched almost entirely to PVE and ZOS introduced 12 player PVP.

I believe the true solution to AvA lag is to separate AvA game design from the rest of the game and design gameplay around the limitations of the server. Another solution is to design better gameplay to create PVP opportunities across the map. ZOS has been very unimaginative in doing so -- probably because they don't allocate the resources necessary for it to be done well.

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y

which is why we need computational accelerators (because if we're going to make PvP scale beyond 12 players a thread, why not pull in something more apt for transforming a massive dataset in realtime) and a revised approach to combat moderation (since people exploit and suddenly we have an excess of processing power)
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y

which is why we need computational accelerators (because if we're going to make PvP scale beyond 12 players a thread, why not pull in something more apt for transforming a massive dataset in realtime) and a revised approach to combat moderation (since people exploit and suddenly we have an excess of processing power)

Are you talking hardware or software, and is it viable at this point?
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vD0LQbh.jpg
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y

Are you talking hardware or software, and is it viable at this point?

I dunno. CPUs are stagnant and GFX/computational accelerators from NVIDIA and AMD are very potent.
    CPU is wringing the last potential out of die shrinks and now needs to function ontologically in order to make way for the imminent rise of high bandwidth memory and innovations in GPU.
    raytracing is the holy grail in graphical fidelity on clientside.

obviously some firmware is going to be invented in order to make use of all the advantages of a computational accelerator, inside a server environment.
    I see the division in worldload is fairly difficult in Cyrodiil. I believe this is because of the very traditional role the server fills in providing oversight for realtime damage negotiations.
    everything that you see on your computer in a battle of 70 people is processed at once on perhaps a single thread inside a server which is probably not optimized for single thread. server CPU tends to run at lower frequency.

as a matter of fact I ASSERT THAT IF CYRODIIL RUNS ON A SMALL NUMBER OF THREADS; HAVING A RECENTLY RELEASED, UNLOCKED PENTIUM OVERLOCKED TO THE HIGHEST FREQUENCY (for cyrodiil) WOULD SOLVE MOST OF OUR ISSUES WITH CPU BOTTLENECKING ARTIFICATS THAT WE ARE EXPERIENCING IN CYRODIIL ATM
    you would need some distributed computing framework...and that's it. temporary bandaid until there a deep rooted collaboration between serious members of the hardware manufacturers and the ambitious developers who would like to see fluid combat scale to a large playerbase.

I am not posting in caps because I am angry. I am posting in caps so that maybe someone will take note and experiment within the ZoS dev team.
    Edited by heavier on December 27, 2018 8:04PM
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Or, just do what everyone in the industry knows works well and implement both client side *and* server side prediction.

That way, you don't have to transfer *any* of the information you mentioned in real time, both the client and server predict what needs to happen next but the server never trusts data from the client (which has been ESO single largest flaw), instead the server makes the final choice and sends that to the client.

99% of the time, the client prediction will match the server choice (or be very close to it) and all is well in game land.

That's how many, many games before ESO have done it successfully. ESO should have been setup that way from the beginning but unfortunately whoever was in charge of the "netcode" had no real world experience building real time client/server systems for games.

And now they are either stuck with continuing to add band-aid patches to a flawed system or bite the bullet and redo it correctly.
    type.gif

PS: None of this is new, myself and others made ZOS aware of the shortcomings of their implementation all the way back in beta, months before PC launch.

@SirAndy This is interesting to me. So how does ESOs servers work? Are the actions sent to the server where the outcome is determined, then sent back to the client which causes lag?
    vFG1 HM
  • aeowulf
    aeowulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO uses TCP and not UDP. literally ever other online game uses UDP because it's faster and way more suited to streaming services.

So with TCP - there is this 4 step process SYN,SYN-ACK,ACK - the ESO servers are ensuring the data gets to your client, which sounds great right? wrong. Imagine if for some reason your computer didn't receive the info, the server tries to send it again, and again and again, and it will eventually get to you - but this data will be old, say a few seconds. Combined with this 4 step process with all data being sent. The overheads and trying to resend missed data will be massive. There's your lag right there, and rubber banding etc. (Remember, with TCP the server needs to keep track of EVERY connection to EVERY client, and make sure that data is recieved, and keep resending if there is a problem)

Swapping to UDP is more like send out the data to the clients and who cares if it doesn't get there. This is where ESO should be - if the data did not reach th client, actually who cares - it's old data anyway. It would massively reduce the network overheads on ZOS servers, and should increase performance. I could see a case for client->server connections being TCP, but most games these are UDP too.

I feel sorry for the network/server guys @ ZoS :( This is a software thing, it needs an overhaul but I bet they are getting the blame. Annoyingly I *think* ESO was UDP back in the day, you know when the Cyrodiil fights were epic... (300+ folks)

But none of us work for ZoS so we are all only guessing. I'm blaming network protocol choice because checking CPU/ram etc is relatively easy and the fix also easy and i'm sure ZOS will of looked at their servers performance wrt. this. However monitoring performance of TCP connections is not as easy.
    Edited by aeowulf on December 28, 2018 3:34PM
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    SugaComa wrote: »
    There are only 2 ways to reduce the lag in game. Create a bigger pipeline or reduce what travels thru the current pipeline. Since creating a bigger pipeline probably involves overhauling the engine itself lets look at reducing the data that travels through the pipeline. Below I will list ways to do that, some which may stand alone, and some which may be built upon others. Each idea is singular at its heart and a stand alone independent idea, but could be used with others listed for greater effect.

Dots and Hots is where we start. Right now some Dots and Hots tick every 2 seconds, some tick every second, I think some tick every half second. Make all Hots and Dots tick every 2 seconds period, end of discussion. This alone will reduce the data transferred by any Dots and Hots that tick every half second by a factor of 4 and those that tick every second by a factor of 2. The ticks will need to be 2 times and 4 times stronger so that the dps or hps of these abilities in the end is the same, they just pulse much slower. This includes proctato and cheese.

Make Dots and Hots single target only. This will reduce the data transferred by a factor of however many targets that specific ability can hit, or on average does hit. Hots would be self only heals while Dots would only effect 1 single target. They may need to be increased in strength to accommodate the fact that they are only single target. Certain classes may need access to more or better Hots for self healing.

Give direct damage abilities cool downs. Spamables with a damage rating deemed appropriate for a spamable would get a 1 second cooldown. Heavier hitters could get a 2 second cooldown, or a 1 second cooldown and 1 second cast time. These would do more damage than spamables by a significant margin. Complete blasters that would do even more damage, but get a 3 second or more cool down. These can be single target or AoE but are not channeled nor over time abilities.

Heals, get rid of smart targeting. Make all AoE heals so that if you are within the radius you get the heal, if you are outside the radius you don't. All AoE heals are direct heals, no AoE Hot heals. Self heals can be HoT or a direct self heal. Again the strength of these heals may need to be adjusted and balanced.

All special effects that are part of all types of these Dots, HOts, DD, DH of the CC variety would also obey any of these above mentioned rules that were adopted. No over time CC, only single target CC or AoE off of AoE direct damage that doesn't reapply the CC after the initial hit.

Gonna stop there as I probably am already pissing too many people off, but will follow up later with light attack weaving and the effects of it on server performance. It is time to re-think the amount of data that is getting pushed through the pipeline and come up with creative ways to reduce it, while at the same time maintaining current DPS/HPS numbers by pushing fewer larger numbers through rather than more smaller numbers through.

You really don't understand how this works do you

For the layman that sounds great ... Reality ... Probably wouldn't make anything different other than create a boring arse Game that no one wants to play

Simple truth is as numbers drop the number of servers used to create the mega server are also reduced to prevent unneeded overhead costs

This means calculations take longer and are creating lag

Also pings from farther reaching clients take longer to process as the send n return are longer

Influx of people using mobile data instead of fixed line internet is creating lag

All these things need to be addressed first

Merge NA and EU servers so more servers are running

Improve the net code for balancing the send n return times for different regional zones across the globe

Do what bungue did and identify mobile data connections and lock those players from the game (usually kids who's parent turn off the WiFi as punishment so they tether the condone to their phones )

I know a lot of players using mobile who aren't kids. They simply do not have a stable wired connection in very rural areas, and locking them out would be very unjustified.
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • aeowulf
    aeowulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Masel wrote: »

For the layman that sounds great ... Reality ... Probably wouldn't make anything different other than create a boring arse Game that no one wants to play

Simple truth is as numbers drop the number of servers used to create the mega server are also reduced to prevent unneeded overhead costs

Also pings from farther reaching clients take longer to process as the send n return are longer

Influx of people using mobile data instead of fixed line internet is creating lag

Improve the net code for balancing the send n return times for different regional zones across the globe

Do what bungue did and identify mobile data connections and lock those players from the game (usually kids who's parent turn off the WiFi as punishment so they tether the condone to their phones )

I know a lot of players using mobile who aren't kids. They simply do not have a stable wired connection in very rural areas, and locking them out would be very unjustified.

ditto this, blocking mobile connections is daft - there are some places in the uk where a physical line is slower than the mobile internet at that location.

This is only a problem if the client/server communication uses TCP instead of UDP. Oh, it does... so yeah, it would make a difference.

Edited by aeowulf on December 28, 2018 5:35PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "Masel wrote: »
    Not just rural areas. Circumstances in my city led me to a 4G+ wireless service and it basically beats the crap out of my previous landline with slightly better pings and hugely better bandwidth. Quite consistent as well.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aeowulf wrote: »
    Masel wrote: »

ditto this, blocking mobile connections is daft - there are some places in the uk where a physical line is slower than the mobile internet at that location.

This is only a problem if the client/server communication uses TCP instead of UDP. Oh, it does... so yeah, it would make a difference.

So how big of an endeavor is it to make a change like this? What would be the reason to use TCP instead of UDP. Are there other pros and cons of each that would lead a development team to choose TCP over UDP. Or is it a relatively new thing that didn't exist when the game was made?
  • DoonerSeraph
    DoonerSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Or, just do what everyone in the industry knows works well and implement both client side *and* server side prediction.

That way, you don't have to transfer *any* of the information you mentioned in real time, both the client and server predict what needs to happen next but the server never trusts data from the client (which has been ESO single largest flaw), instead the server makes the final choice and sends that to the client.

99% of the time, the client prediction will match the server choice (or be very close to it) and all is well in game land.

That's how many, many games before ESO have done it successfully. ESO should have been setup that way from the beginning but unfortunately whoever was in charge of the "netcode" had no real world experience building real time client/server systems for games.

And now they are either stuck with continuing to add band-aid patches to a flawed system or bite the bullet and redo it correctly.
    type.gif

PS: None of this is new, myself and others made ZOS aware of the shortcomings of their implementation all the way back in beta, months before PC launch.

Good read. That being the case, couldnt ZOS use sone market anti-cheating software like PunkBuster and make the client trustable once more? I think that would be worth it, wouldnt it?
  • khemdog
    khemdog
    ✭✭✭
    Anything that requires a check before the effect is applied is adding to the server load and thus adding lag.

Armor and Penetration.
    Scaling of DoT's/HoT's based on current stats per tick applied.
    Healing Received, Defile
    Smart Heals
    Abilities that scale damage or healing based on range, current hp, max hp or other factors.
    Passives that trigger only under certain circumstances.

Some of these like armor are required, some are just there for flavor and increased lag.

Yes its really that simple.
    Khem

• Trout1996
    Trout1996
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno If Khem's stoned mind can figure this out, why can't yins at Zo$?
    Leader of Grail Knights Solo and Small PvP Guild
    Stamplar: Karl Franz of the Empire | MagPlar: Leoncoeur the Lionhearted
    MagDk: Witch King Malekith | StamDk: Archaon
    MagSorc: G W Kush | StamSorc: Fully-Torqued Orc
    StamNb: Trout | MagBlade: The Red Duke
    StamDen: Jerome James | MagDen: Dips-the-Copenhagen
    YT https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCumzaR-HESaBhPPtBbB1gzw
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The very first thing they need to do in the next update to reduce lag is disable all live tracking of people on your Friends list, Clan, and especially the Leaderboards. One of the easiest fixes players are now learning to do when they load into Cyrodiil is to go to each of these and type in a random name that finds zero results. As a temporary fix it stops all three of those trackers from constantly checking for updates in the background while you're playing.