The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Snipe doesn’t need a nerf until

Illuvatarr
Illuvatarr
✭✭✭✭✭
The heavy armor meta is taken care of.
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    would prefer to see them both hit asap
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edited by Gilvoth on January 23, 2019 5:59PM
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it Doesn't need nerfed at all.
    stop trying to destroy Snipe
    stop trying to destroy our ranged playstyle every single day making request threads to destroy archer playstyle.
    nothing wrong with what we have, its been here since 5+ years.
    this is really childish and selfish.

if anything, it needs a faster cast time and alot more damage added to it.

You seem upset. Did you bother to review my original post?

• oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    stop trying to destroy our ranged playstyle every single day making request threads to destroy archer playstyle.

Found the snipe-spammer. Literally copy and pasted this in another thread.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edited by Gilvoth on January 23, 2019 6:00PM
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy has taken a back seat for magicka for sure.
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭

agreed 50%. the only nerf bow needs is the requirement to aim in order to hit targets and the ability to avoid arrows simply by moving out of their path.

it could be balanced around cast time and nominal damage, with crit chances being cut down to 5%ish at max range and increased slightly on stationary targets at close range.

bow is the most OP meta which needs to remain OP. there just needs to be a skill ceiling because tab targeted bow is cringe inducing.

increase projectile speed, remove tab target.
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to have Snipe nerfed please. Sincerely, a light armor user.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

my comment stands because it is relevant in all the threads that are being spammed on the same subject.

and i do not spam snipe, its too slow and does not do justice in damage, it needs a faster cast time as well as a damage increase, as an archer snipe is just 1 of alot of choices you need to use to both defend yourself and do damage.
    snipe alone does not get the fight won.

Sure, cause 12k snipe hits on 24k phys and 3k crit resist are waaaaaaay to low. Pls buff by 100% and remove cast time.
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    Gnozo wrote: »

my comment stands because it is relevant in all the threads that are being spammed on the same subject.

and i do not spam snipe, its too slow and does not do justice in damage, it needs a faster cast time as well as a damage increase, as an archer snipe is just 1 of alot of choices you need to use to both defend yourself and do damage.
    snipe alone does not get the fight won.

Sure, cause 12k snipe hits on 24k phys and 3k crit resist are waaaaaaay to low. Pls buff by 100% and remove cast time.

it's funny how tab target eliminates the penalty of distance but there is a passive that buffs damage on longer shots
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does heavy armor have to do with it?

I just think cast abilities should break cloak and sneak on activating to eliminate auto crit and bonuses they provide on already hard hitting abilities. Its not even so much 1 as the people who just keep cloaking then sniping making sure no one gets close enough to counter
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

I just think cast abilities should break cloak and sneak on activating to eliminate auto crit and bonuses they provide on already hard hitting abilities. Its not even so much 1 as the people who just keep cloaking then sniping making sure no one gets close enough to counter

Heavy armor is the problem. It has been for quite some time. All of the balancing changes that have been made with new item sets and to class abilities, are either directly or indirectly related to it being too strong. NB’s with snipe (in fact the entire NB damage delivery model) is designed, either by choice or coincidentally, to kill heavy armor users (now toons with super high resists; I run around with 35k phys and spell resist in CP in light armor with a minimal dps hit). It’s dumb. The entire balancing model is dumb and based upon myopic thinking and poor design. They have introduced dumb monster sets and item sets that are now being balanced against with more dumb item sets AND nerfs to class abilities (in some cases fundamental changes to the way classes are played that have not changed in five years). They need to reverse it and quit balancing this way.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Illuvatarr wrote: »

Heavy armor is the problem. It has been for quite some time. All of the balancing changes that have been made with new item sets and to class abilities, are either directly or indirectly related to it being too strong. NB’s with snipe (in fact the entire NB damage delivery model) is designed, either by choice or coincidentally, to kill heavy armor users (now toons with super high resists; I run around with 35k phys and spell resist in CP in light armor with a minimal dps hit). It’s dumb. The entire balancing model is dumb and based upon myopic thinking and poor design. They have introduced dumb monster sets and item sets that are now being balanced against with more dumb item sets AND nerfs to class abilities (in some cases fundamental changes to the way classes are played that have not changed in five years). They need to reverse it and quit balancing this way.

I disagree that snipe is any sort of counter to that. Bleeds and oblivion damage; I get but most good snipers I see are not going to hit heavy armor users any more than anything else. The only thing it has is fracture if you actually chose to go that way rather than the defile but I think you're better off with the defile IMO.

I do think you are right on some bad design decisions. I personally prefer medium and light armor on my builds but I have seen some tanky builds running bleeds and proc sets which bypass their need to have anything focused on damage or penetration and that is ridiculous. Again; I just dont see what sniping from cloak over and over has anything to do with it. Especially because I know that anyone thats any good at it are looking for the softer targets.
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I disagree that snipe is any sort of counter to that. Bleeds and oblivion damage; I get but most good snipers I see are not going to hit heavy armor users any more than anything else. The only thing it has is fracture if you actually chose to go that way rather than the defile but I think you're better off with the defile IMO.

I do think you are right on some bad design decisions. I personally prefer medium and light armor on my builds but I have seen some tanky builds running bleeds and proc sets which bypass their need to have anything focused on damage or penetration and that is ridiculous. Again; I just dont see what sniping from cloak over and over has anything to do with it. Especially because I know that anyone thats any good at it are looking for the softer targets.

Correct so they added high resists to light armor users and medium users to counter what you just said....thus exacerbating the problem. Heavy armor should be used for tanking and as a support set for the two dps sets. You should not be able to burst or kill anyone pretty much while wearing 5 piece heavy. Everyone is too tanky now.

• Leeched
    Leeched
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make snipe deal oblivion damage! :trollface:
    (DC) Grimsley - MagSorc || Denderan - StamPlar || Phaedon - StamBlade || Oberon - MagPlar || Leontes - StamSorc || Saroush - MagDk || Culan - StamDen || Dullahan - StamDk
    Ruvik - MagBlade || Tivil - MagDen || Juval - MagNecro || Gargrave - StamNecro
    (EP) Vicio - MagBlade || Clavigo - MagPlar || Peritas - MagDen || Fedrak - MagSorc
    (AD) Maledicto - MagBlade || Voriak - StamBlade

PC EU || Currently CP 1500+
    Azura's Star Sotha Sil
    I serve bombs ღ - retired
  • tactx
    tactx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snipe doesn't need a nerf on every other class except NB. So nerfing snipe to solve a NB issues wrecks anyone else that uses it which means it should be addressed in a different way.

But yea there are no downsides to heavy armor which is illogical. They're harder better faster stronger... with no limitations.
    “No one's happiness but my own is in my power to achieve or to destroy.” - John Galt, Atlas Shrugged
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll admit, that made me chuckle.
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's make it undodgeable while we're at it. Oh, and turn it into a homing missile cuz screw LoS :trollface:
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You realize anything effective against heavy armor tank is equally if not more effective against other types ?

So you were ok with sloads with apply and forget meta? .
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on December 21, 2018 5:21PM
  • Zelos
    Zelos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is nothing wrong with a archer playstyle what is wrong, is a arrow that goes through rocks and terrain, stuns you, defiles you, and does more damage then a ultimate ability:) All without having to be anywhere near the target. I see very little counterplay here as the skill costs 1.8k stam at the most.
    Aeonhack - AD Stamina Nightblade - 5 Star General

CP1200

Creator and user of "Questionable" addons and game mechanics.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel snipe needs to be drastically changed. I feel like heavy armor is fine for the most part. Strong in some situations and weak in others. I really don't know what you would change in heavy armor. It already doesn't have any damage passives so if players are being one shot in heavy armor the problem is something else.

Players tend to think for whatever reason that you shouldn't be able to burst a player while wearing heavy. That statement is like saying someone in light/medium shouldn't be able to survive a burst. There is nothing that can really be done to Nerf heavy armor at this point without making it useless.

As for snipe I believe the whole skill should be reworked into a spammable ability with similar damage to force pulse and have the defile removed.
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    I feel snipe needs to be drastically changed. I feel like heavy armor is fine for the most part. Strong in some situations and weak in others. I really don't know what you would change in heavy armor. It already doesn't have any damage passives so if players are being one shot in heavy armor the problem is something else.

Players tend to think for whatever reason that you shouldn't be able to burst a player while wearing heavy. That statement is like saying someone in light/medium shouldn't be able to survive a burst. There is nothing that can really be done to Nerf heavy armor at this point without making it useless.

As for snipe I believe the whole skill should be reworked into a spammable ability with similar damage to force pulse and have the defile removed.

put spell resist on par with medium armor
    metal = conductive of magic

that is the traditional counter in fantasy universe
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zelos wrote: »

There is nothing wrong with a archer playstyle what is wrong, is a arrow that goes through rocks and terrain, stuns you, defiles you, and does more damage then a ultimate ability:) All without having to be anywhere near the target. I see very little counterplay here as the skill costs 1.8k stam at the most.

I don't think snipe itself is toxic because effective snipe builds are often very squishy, BUT snipe in combination with cloak is very, veery toxic and easy playstyle. While the counterplay exists in the form of block-dodge-absorb-reflect, none of those options pose any danger for the snipe user, even reflected projectiles can be avoided by simply doing snipe+cloak , and the real danger of the snipers come from the element of suprise, not in the form of a direct thread, but when you least expect it, you get sniped for like 15k and if you're fighting someone else , you are basically doomed. This wouldn't be an issue if the snipe user also had to face risks but the nature of cloak prevents that.

High MMR battlegrounds have a lot of players that don't know how to play but they climbed up there anyways because they had a snipe build.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on December 22, 2018 2:55AM
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wait if I told you that snipe is part of the reason there is a heavy armor meta?
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NyassaV wrote: »
    Wait if I told you that snipe is part of the reason there is a heavy armor meta?

Snipe spammers:

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Faster, I can get behind, because then the damage can be dropped as it no longer needs higher damage to compensate for the asinine cast time. A damage buff, hell to the no.

A ranged spammable with a tooltip comparable to Dizzying Swing, with a 40 plus meter range, a stun from stealth, either Major Fracture or Major Defile depending on the morph, and a damage bonus when used at long ranges thanks to bow passives, simply should not exist. End of. Especially with the desync, where you can be hit with multiple Snipe's at once, dropping dead without knowing what just happened.

I don't care that you guys are squishy as all hell, the solution to that should be more defense and escape options, not insane killing power at max range.
    Edited by jcm2606 on December 22, 2018 11:29AM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That´s kinda a slippery slope going down that road.
    Obliviondmg don´t need nerf until x is taken care of aswell.
    Bleeds don´t need adjustment as long as y is in the game.

You get the picture.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »

I don't care that you guys are squishy as all hell, the solution to that should be more defense and escape options, not insane killing power at max range.

The funny thing is that snipe spammers are mostly stamblades, and therefore have amazing defense and escape options, even when specced for pure damage.

Most of them simply never learned to use their class toolkit effectively because of their one-button, low-risk playstyle.

They then melt the instant a competent player puts some pressure on them, respawn on the forums and whine about some imaginary risk v. reward tradeoff they believe they're making.
    Edited by TheYKcid on December 22, 2018 11:39AM
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • Aedrion
    Aedrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheYKcid wrote: »

The funny thing is that snipe spammers are mostly stamblades, and therefore have amazing defense and escape options, even when specced for pure damage.

Most of them simply never learned to use their class toolkit effectively because of their one-button, low-risk playstyle.

They then melt the instant a competent player puts some pressure on them, respawn on the forums and whine about some imaginary risk v. reward tradeoff they believe they're making.

This is correct. I have been killed by snipers many times when they hit me from atop a keep while I'm stunned or unable to get away. I've been killed by them when I'm duelling somebody and didn't see them in the distance. Been killed by them while trying to LoS a zerg chasing me.

But every time it was 1v1, I destroy them in 2 seconds.

The skill is overperforming whenever the sniper is allowed to freecast it because it does too much and requires nothing. Oh, and because it behaves like a mortar shell for some bizarre reason.

• ZOS_Mika
    ZOS_Mika
    admin
    We have removed some unnecessary back and forth from this thread. It is fine to disagree, however personal attacks and insults are inappropriate and not in the spirit of our community. Please keep the discussion civil and constructive.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post