Maintenance for the week of June 3:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance June 5, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Your Laptop Specs For playing ESO

VvardeFellow
VvardeFellow
✭✭✭
I'll be moving to using a laptop a great deal of the time, from a desktop, and moving oceanic (fiber optic). I'm in the 2-4 months range of buying a 15" (don't want a 17 or 13) laptop, in the $2k USD or lower range, the thinnest and lightest for the buck. I have been doing the research, but I need to know from ESO players with laptops:
*your specs for CPU GPU, memory, 60 or 144 refresh, and what settings in game (high, medium) you get for xyz frame rate.

I'll be playing ESO 99.5% of my gaming time (except for the brownouts) so knowing what other people have and are experiencing would really help.

Thank you.
  • Hixtory
    Hixtory
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be moving to using a laptop a great deal of the time, from a desktop, and moving oceanic (fiber optic). I'm in the 2-4 months range of buying a 15" (don't want a 17 or 13) laptop, in the $2k USD or lower range, the thinnest and lightest for the buck. I have been doing the research, but I need to know from ESO players with laptops:
    *your specs for CPU GPU, memory, 60 or 144 refresh, and what settings in game (high, medium) you get for xyz frame rate.

I'll be playing ESO 99.5% of my gaming time (except for the brownouts) so knowing what other people have and are experiencing would really help.

Thank you.

I ply on laptop, Acer Helios Predator 300, is a good machine, and I usually run at 60-70 fps open world and in trials 25-40, but I beleve is more on zos.

The price is way loer than your 2k but there are more powerfull in the same line
    Options
  • VvardeFellow
    VvardeFellow
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your information.
    Options
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Asus something they don't make this model anymore it's 4 years old which I will be getting a new laptop soon.becuase my fans are going out and it is starting to slowing get problems like refusing to update and other hardware things
    And has a
    I7 Intel core
    850m GeForce
    8gb ram
    I play on high setting and only do bgs and I run 60fps for the most part some days are better than others.i don't do trails and I live in the country where high speed internet is 25megs so can't handle AvA
    Edited by lucky_Sage on December 19, 2018 6:32AM
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

Options
  • FlyingSwan
    FlyingSwan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I primarily play on my desktop but I do have a laptop for when I travel and now and then I run ESO on it:

Dell XPS15
    4k screen but I do run games at 1080, no point using 4k for gaming on a 15" screen
    It's Core i7
    16GB RAM
    M2
    GPU is GTX1050

Runs ESO at over 60fps, can't remember refresh rate.

Laptop was about £2000. It's primarily a work tool but when I travel I get bored and like to play some games on it.
    Options
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asus ROG Strix. 16gb Ram, 250 SSD (ESO is on here) 1TB HD, GeForce 1070, CPU is something like 2.8Ghz with turbo charge up to 3.5 or something like that. Performs quite well. I don’t play on ultra jsut becuse I don’t care. You can have it on high setting, shadows on medium, good view distance and particles and all special effects and still get 40-60 FPS in most situation. I think it cost like 1300 when it came out so you should be able to get something way nicer.
    Edited by Vapirko on December 19, 2018 8:13AM
    Options
  • humpalicous
    humpalicous
    ✭✭✭
    Intel i5 4th gen
    8 gb ram
    GTX 960 4 gb
    Win 10

Works perfectly on highest settings, doesn't need to be flashy ;)
    Options
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have an acer predator G5-793 16GB RAM with a Geforce GTX 1060 and play ESO on highest settings, my FPS is overland 40-60. I have a ton of addons, which I think increase the loading screens significantly. Its a huge and heavy laptop though (and you want a smaller one so this wont help you).
    Before I had a (in comparison) lighter and slimmer laptop - although I also liked the bigger screen, but well a nice metal case gives you some extra weight.. .
    I had a Lenovo y50-70 also with 16gb RAM Nvidia GTX 860. The price must be quite a bit below your range. It worked fine as well with Eso on highest settings. Biggest drawback on that one was it didnt have an internal HDD, and not a very huge SSD (and I didnt want to clutter the SSD with my ton of photoshopstuff/images etc).
    PC-EU @lientier
    Options
  • Latios
    Latios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dell inspiron gaming 7567.

GTX 1050TI
    I7 7700HQ
    16 GB RAM
    1080P @60 hz

I play with custom settings, something between high to ultra and I keep 60 fps most of the time. Only places they drop are Large scale cyro battles and trials, but never below 30.
    The Eon Pokémon.
    Options
  • smtdbplus
    smtdbplus
    ✭✭✭
    MSI 65 Stealth, 1060, 60-80 in Rawl.

Thin and excellent keyboard, no complain.

But upgrading the memory or ssd is very messy.
    Options
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sager NP9877 :
    I7-8700k @ 3.7GHz
    17" 1440 120Hz
    GTX 1080
    16 GB
    2x M.2 drives totaling 1.5 TB, 2x SSDs totaling 3 TB.

Everything maxed, no complaints. What a time to be alive :smiley:

All but one of the HDs I added, the rest is stock, and it cost around US$2800, iirc. So a bit higher than your budget, but Sager/clevo's are imo the best bang for your buck, and their lower-level models are equally as good - they are Clevos, which is the company that makes many of the top laptops for other brands (they used to make Alienware laptops). I've purchased 2 top of the line laptops from lpc-digital.com (Sager/Clevo reseller) over the past 7 years, and they both have been fantastic.
    Edited by karthrag_inak on December 19, 2018 11:20AM
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
    Options
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I played on laptop for few years before putting together my first DIY desktop.

Keep in mind ESO is a lot more demanding on CPU than other games, especially large Cyrodiil PVP battles. Even with highest end desktop in large battles you will find frame rate dropping sometimes. If you will not participate in PVP at all, you can get by with a bit weaker specs, but I suggest the following as bare minimum:
    • Make sure to get laptop with full 45W quad or hex core CPU (processor model # ending in H, HK or HQ such as i7-7920HQ, i5-8300H etc) and avoid the low voltage battery saver 15W ULV processors (model # ends in U or M or contain Y, for example i5-7Y54, i7-7500U etc). There are also some higher end AMD laptop processors these days, but I'm not familiar with the product lines
    • 8GB+ RAM (or laptop with capacity for you to upgrade the RAM yourself to at least 8GB)
    • GPU 1050Ti or better minimum for most games 1080p. You can find quite a few with 1060 well under $1k, and there are some pretty nice Asus and Clevo laptops with 1070 around $1300-1400. 1060 will deliver 60fps in PVE and empty areas of Cyrodiil, but not large battles. If your budget is 2k, you should be able to find one with 1080, or get 1070 laptop and use the rest of your budget for extras like 1TB SSD etc. Try to avoid laptops with the "Max-Q" version of 1070 or 1080. The Max-Q is throttled with performance about 10-15% below regular laptop 1070 and 1080 cards.

New Nvidia Turing RTX 20xx laptops are launching within the next few months, so if you can wait a while, you will find Pascal laptops price dropping fast.

Here are a few with 1070 (non Max-Q):

And if you shop around a bit, you can usually find deal under 2k for laptop with 1080 (non Max-Q):

EDIT: you mentioned you want thin and light form factor. Keep in mind this kind of raises the price for comparable performance, but you can definitely find some relatively thin laptops with GTX 1070 (non Max-Q) about 1" (25.4 mm) thickness form factor and under 5 lbs (2.17kg). If you want to go any thinner than that you will probably need to drop down to something with the 1070 Max Q version like Asus Zepherus which is about same weight but thinner chassis 0.62" (15.7 mm) , still under $2k
    Edited by IcyDeadPeople on December 19, 2018 2:36PM
    Options
  • UnseenCat
    UnseenCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asus Zephyrus M with a GTX 1060. Plenty fast for ESO and many other games. 1060 GPU is economical and just fine for driving the laptop's screen or a reasonable 2K monitor on ultra settings in ESO. (I have a custom, overclocked desktop with a 1080 for gaming on a much bigger screen.)
    Options
  • Ciovala
    Ciovala
    ✭✭✭
    Asus Zephyrus M. GM501GS
    1. 8750H
    2. GTX 1070
    3. 32 GB RAM
    4. 2 x 512 SSD
    5. 1080p GSync Display

Averages 60 FPS I think, all settings maxed (in Rawl’kha). Not an optimised engine. My desktop is beefier and has a 1080 and is also averaging like 60 at 3440x1440.
    Edited by Ciovala on December 19, 2018 1:10PM
    Looking for a mature and helpful social guild - play PvE, PvP, and like crafting.
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play with a desktop and Thinkpad travel keyboard on my lap, in the living room. This means both of my hands rest in a fixed position, with my left middle finger on the 'E' key, and my right one on the pointing stick, while the other fingers can stretch to other keys. A lot of other keys. I could not imagine using a trackpad and, since I like having the keyboard or laptop on my lap, an external mouse would be out too. The one and only laptop I would consider is a Thinkpad X1 Extreme, a thin and light 15" business (but arguably hybrid) machine. I have not actually bought one yet. The specs would be:

i7-8750H (hex core, 4.1GHz turbo)
    16GB RAM
    GTX 1050 Ti (MaxQ)
    FHD IPS matte screen
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    Options
  • VvardeFellow
    VvardeFellow
    ✭✭✭
    lucky_Sage wrote: »
    I have a Asus something they don't make this model anymore it's 4 years old which I will be getting a new laptop soon.becuase my fans are going out and it is starting to slowing get problems like refusing to update and other hardware things
    And has a
    I7 Intel core
    850m GeForce
    8gb ram
    I play on high setting and only do bgs and I run 60fps for the most part some days are better than others.i don't do trails and I live in the country where high speed internet is 25megs so can't handle AvA

Thanks, that helps also.
    Options
  • VvardeFellow
    VvardeFellow
    ✭✭✭
    FlyingSwan wrote: »
    I primarily play on my desktop but I do have a laptop for when I travel and now and then I run ESO on it:

Dell XPS15
    4k screen but I do run games at 1080, no point using 4k for gaming on a 15" screen
    It's Core i7
    16GB RAM
    M2
    GPU is GTX1050

Runs ESO at over 60fps, can't remember refresh rate.

Laptop was about £2000. It's primarily a work tool but when I travel I get bored and like to play some games on it.

Thank you.
    Options
  • VvardeFellow
    VvardeFellow
    ✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    Asus ROG Strix. 16gb Ram, 250 SSD (ESO is on here) 1TB HD, GeForce 1070, CPU is something like 2.8Ghz with turbo charge up to 3.5 or something like that. Performs quite well. I don’t play on ultra jsut becuse I don’t care. You can have it on high setting, shadows on medium, good view distance and particles and all special effects and still get 40-60 FPS in most situation. I think it cost like 1300 when it came out so you should be able to get something way nicer.

Thank you.
    Options
  • VvardeFellow
    VvardeFellow
    ✭✭✭
    Intel i5 4th gen
    8 gb ram
    GTX 960 4 gb
    Win 10

Works perfectly on highest settings, doesn't need to be flashy ;)

Thanks, great information. Good to see some positive on a lower end system.
    Options
  • VvardeFellow
    VvardeFellow
    ✭✭✭
    lientier wrote: »
    I have an acer predator G5-793 16GB RAM with a Geforce GTX 1060 and play ESO on highest settings, my FPS is overland 40-60. I have a ton of addons, which I think increase the loading screens significantly. Its a huge and heavy laptop though (and you want a smaller one so this wont help you).
    Before I had a (in comparison) lighter and slimmer laptop - although I also liked the bigger screen, but well a nice metal case gives you some extra weight.. .
    I had a Lenovo y50-70 also with 16gb RAM Nvidia GTX 860. The price must be quite a bit below your range. It worked fine as well with Eso on highest settings. Biggest drawback on that one was it didnt have an internal HDD, and not a very huge SSD (and I didnt want to clutter the SSD with my ton of photoshopstuff/images etc).

Thanks. I'm not stuck on a price, it's pretty much cpu, gpu, weight, size, and 144mhz if possible.
    Options
  • VvardeFellow
    VvardeFellow
    ✭✭✭
    Latios wrote: »
    Dell inspiron gaming 7567.

GTX 1050TI
    I7 7700HQ
    16 GB RAM
    1080P @60 hz

I play with custom settings, something between high to ultra and I keep 60 fps most of the time. Only places they drop are Large scale cyro battles and trials, but never below 30.

Thank you. Nice to know the fiddling helps. I was worried a 1060ti was underpowered, wrote it off.
    Options
  • VvardeFellow
    VvardeFellow
    ✭✭✭
    Sager NP9877 :
    I7-8700k @ 3.7GHz
    17" 1440 120Hz
    GTX 1080
    16 GB
    2x M.2 drives totaling 1.5 TB, 2x SSDs totaling 3 TB.

Everything maxed, no complaints. What a time to be alive :smiley:

All but one of the HDs I added, the rest is stock, and it cost around US$2800, iirc. So a bit higher than your budget, but Sager/clevo's are imo the best bang for your buck, and their lower-level models are equally as good - they are Clevos, which is the company that makes many of the top laptops for other brands (they used to make Alienware laptops). I've purchased 2 top of the line laptops from lpc-digital.com (Sager/Clevo reseller) over the past 7 years, and they both have been fantastic.

Thanks. Yeah, that would get me scalped by she who must be obeyed, but what a nice system.
    Options
  • VvardeFellow
    VvardeFellow
    ✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    I play with a desktop and Thinkpad travel keyboard on my lap, in the living room. This means both of my hands rest in a fixed position, with my left middle finger on the 'E' key, and my right one on the pointing stick, while the other fingers can stretch to other keys. A lot of other keys. I could not imagine using a trackpad and, since I like having the keyboard or laptop on my lap, an external mouse would be out too. The one and only laptop I would consider is a Thinkpad X1 Extreme, a thin and light 15" business (but arguably hybrid) machine. I have not actually bought one yet. The specs would be:

i7-8750H (hex core, 4.1GHz turbo)
    16GB RAM
    GTX 1050 Ti (MaxQ)
    FHD IPS matte screen

That's a nice system. I had missed it because searching the Lenovo site I always went to Legion line, thinking after brief perusal that thinkpads all had shared gpu. Thank you.
    Options
  • VvardeFellow
    VvardeFellow
    ✭✭✭
    I played on laptop for few years before putting together my first DIY desktop.

Keep in mind ESO is a lot more demanding on CPU than other games, especially large Cyrodiil PVP battles. Even with highest end desktop in large battles you will find frame rate dropping sometimes. If you will not participate in PVP at all, you can get by with a bit weaker specs, but I suggest the following as bare minimum:
    • Make sure to get laptop with full 45W quad or hex core CPU (processor model # ending in H, HK or HQ such as i7-7920HQ, i5-8300H etc) and avoid the low voltage battery saver 15W ULV processors (model # ends in U or M or contain Y, for example i5-7Y54, i7-7500U etc). There are also some higher end AMD laptop processors these days, but I'm not familiar with the product lines
    • 8GB+ RAM (or laptop with capacity for you to upgrade the RAM yourself to at least 8GB)
    • GPU 1050Ti or better minimum for most games 1080p. You can find quite a few with 1060 well under $1k, and there are some pretty nice Asus and Clevo laptops with 1070 around $1300-1400. 1060 will deliver 60fps in PVE and empty areas of Cyrodiil, but not large battles. If your budget is 2k, you should be able to find one with 1080, or get 1070 laptop and use the rest of your budget for extras like 1TB SSD etc. Try to avoid laptops with the "Max-Q" version of 1070 or 1080. The Max-Q is throttled with performance about 10-15% below regular laptop 1070 and 1080 cards.

New Nvidia Turing RTX 20xx laptops are launching within the next few months, so if you can wait a while, you will find Pascal laptops price dropping fast.

Here are a few with 1070 (non Max-Q):

And if you shop around a bit, you can usually find deal under 2k for laptop with 1080 (non Max-Q):

EDIT: you mentioned you want thin and light form factor. Keep in mind this kind of raises the price for comparable performance, but you can definitely find some relatively thin laptops with GTX 1070 (non Max-Q) about 1" (25.4 mm) thickness form factor and under 5 lbs (2.17kg). If you want to go any thinner than that you will probably need to drop down to something with the 1070 Max Q version like Asus Zepherus which is about same weight but thinner chassis 0.62" (15.7 mm) , still under $2k

Thanks for the links and information. I had picked up on the CPU suffixes but not all the GPU ones, so that helped. Unless I was forced to, and can't imagine how that would happen, I'm going with 16 RAM. I hadn't considered a 1050TI, I thought they were under powered. The thin and light is a top 3 criteria thing, unless, again, I'm forced not to go there. I love the systems many folks have shared, but frankly I'll sacrifice if I have to to get away from the flashy, lighted, weird angle design. For example I have an older I5 Lenovo YOGA and I love it. However, it's below even minimum specs, but I really like the Legion Y530, but even the top specs available of.
    Options
  • VvardeFellow
    VvardeFellow
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone had or have a Eluktronics laptop? I see them popping up in some review searches.
    Options
  • Bubbastic
    Bubbastic
    ✭✭✭
    MSI GT72S 6QE DOMINATOR PRO G 4K
    i7 Skylake
    32 Gb DDR4
    Geforce 980M 8 Gb DDR5
    SSD M2 512 Gb

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT72S-6QE-DOMINATOR-PRO-G/Specification
    Edited by Bubbastic on December 19, 2018 4:29PM
    。◕‿◕。
    Options
  • MinnesotaKid
    MinnesotaKid
    ✭✭✭
    Sager NP8157
    GTX 1070
    32 gig RAM
    I7-7700K

$1800

Review
    MinnesotaKid

Options
  • IdesofMarch2
    IdesofMarch2
    ✭✭
    I'm moving to a laptop too, I still have my Xbox one for ESO but can't anytime on it.
    I haven't gotten it yet but and it's not as expensive at all like these others but it's an Acer Nitro 5
    Intel Core I5 8300H 2.30GHz Quad Core 4 GeForce GTX 1050 ti GDDR5 dedicated memory 1920/1080 screen resolution
    256gb SSD. This also has the capability to add another 8gb of storage.

I'm curious because this is the only game that will be played on this laptop, will ESO run well on this?
    Its not cheap it lists at 900
    Edited by IdesofMarch2 on December 19, 2018 5:41PM
    Runs with the A.D.
    Xbox One
    PC N/A
    Magicka Sorc
    Options
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm moving to a laptop too, I still have my Xbox one for ESO but can't anytime on it.
    I haven't gotten it yet but and it's not as expensive at all like these others but it's an Acer Nitro 5
    Intel Core I5 8300H 2.30GHz Quad Core 4 GeForce GTX 1050 ti GDDR5 dedicated memory 1920/1080 screen resolution
    256gb SSD. This also has the capability to add another 8gb of storage.

I'm curious because this is the only game that will be played on this laptop, will ESO run well on this?
    Its not cheap it lists at 900

It will run but IMO $900 is a bit overpriced for 1050Ti laptop, hopefully you can find one with 1060 around this price. Especially if you can wait a couple months all pascal laptops will go on sale after next gen nvidia laptops launch.
    Has anyone had or have a Eluktronics laptop? I see them popping up in some review searches.

It's Clevo reseller. Look for Clevo with the same model number and you will find various resellers to compare prices.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople on December 19, 2018 7:44PM
    Options
  • IdesofMarch2
    IdesofMarch2
    ✭✭
    I should have said it was 799 on sale I was looking for a budget laptop that wasn’t over 1k. So it will be fine for ESO?
    Runs with the A.D.
    Xbox One
    PC N/A
    Magicka Sorc
    Options
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run the game on one of these;

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKACN715002/Acer-Aspire-A717-72G-798U-GTX1060-Deluxe-Gaming-La

Geforce 1060 6Gig graphics memory.
    16 Gigs ram

Ignore the price. Everything in New Zealand is more expensive than anywhere on Earth. I'm sure it would be much cheaper anywhere.

The game runs fine on it, FPS 80-100

Here's proof:
    B7Fwd5U.jpg

'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
    Options