The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Returning player, seeking build advice

SkaldWarrior
SkaldWarrior
Soul Shriven
Before I get into this I do want to say I have looked around both forums and also googling this but what I can find on the subject is dated by at least one year+ and I was hoping to get some more current info with my idea because of all the changes that have happened to the classes.

Alright so I am wanting to try to make a battle mage which encompasses the use of a melee weapon, thinking 2H with infusion from my skills on it and for a secondary a elemental staff, my magic skills and for armor I was thinking of possibly heavy armor. I have looked at the passives you can get from heavy armor and they seem to work in favor of this kind of build since they can aid with mana regeneration and such when taking damage. Obvious with weapon idea I am not looking to tank which I know sounds weird for wanting to take heavy armor for my build. I want to be DPS if I run dungeons but I might be majority of the time questing and doing the solo content as I am still trying to get used to playing ESO after having been away for quite a while, roughly since the time morrowind came out with the warden.

I would like to be able to to do melee with my build but be able to fall back on my spells and my staff for ranged fighting when needed. I realize a build like this might sound more ideal for something like oblivion or skyrim but I am hoping to attempt something like this in ESO. If it helps I am not one to PVP so this will be used for PVE only and end game content I have neevr even been able to get near from playing previously so I'm not even going to bother worrying about that right now, maybe once I get closer to end game I'll do my research for that content but for now something to start with and get my foot in the door so to say is all I am really looking for.

Thank you in advance for any and all replies! :smile:
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    For solo content and questing you can roll whatever you want, really.
    But if you intend to run group content, keep in mind that other players rely on you doing your job as a DD (which is dealing enough DPS).
    Unfortunately your idea for a build will not work very good for that purpose:

- 2H and destruction staff don't function well together (one is stamina based, the other magicka)
    - heavy armor will grant you more resistances, but you will lack of the dps passives that light or medium armor grant you

As "Battlemage" you probably have a sorcerer in mind, right?
    You could go for a petsorc to still get some of the tankiness you originally wanted.
    Either way, a destruction staff on both bars and at least 5 light armor pieces are the right choice. Being ranged doesn't mean that you can't go melee in a fight aswell.

Look for recent "magicka [pet]sorc pve" builds on YouTube or Google
    Edited by Protossyder on December 17, 2018 9:07AM
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • SkaldWarrior
    SkaldWarrior
    Soul Shriven
    Alright cool ty I will take a look at the builds and see what it looks like might be what I am looking for. So if I am guessing right melee weapons will require stam while spells are obviously magicka so there isn't reallt a way to mix those out side of buffs or morphing the skills to consume stam or magicka instead of it's normal resource for those that can be morphed that way?
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alright cool ty I will take a look at the builds and see what it looks like might be what I am looking for. So if I am guessing right melee weapons will require stam while spells are obviously magicka so there isn't reallt a way to mix those out side of buffs or morphing the skills to consume stam or magicka instead of it's normal resource for those that can be morphed that way?

Weapons:
    - Dual Wield = Stamina
    - 2H = Stamina
    - Sword and Shield = Stamina
    - Bow = Stamina
    - Destruction Staff = Magicka
    - Healing Staff = Magicka

Skills:
    - If a skill/morph costs stamina or deals physical/poison/disease dmg it scales with max stamina/weapondmg/weaponcrit/etc.
    - If it costs magicka or deals magic/fire/shock/frost dmg it scales with max magicka/spelldmg/spellcrit/etc.

Hybrid builds work for solo content (except Maelstrom Arena maybe), questing and sometimes even in PvP, but are not very efficient in PvE
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU