The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Why do the New Life quests not stay on the quest tracker?

tanek
tanek
✭✭✭
I swear I have the New Life quest being tracked, but then at some point I look up and it has just changed to track some other random quest I had in my journal. I end up having to manually switch it back over and over. Driving me bonkers.

Any way to stop this? Is it something I am doing?

Thanks.

Best Answers

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There has been a bug since the game launched where the active quest can change when traveling via transit. For whatever reason Zos has chosen to not fix this issue even though it happens with a high frequency and is a constant reminder of their skill at managing the game.

Granted, it could be addon related but I recall this happening early in the game when I did not use addons.
    Edited by idk on December 16, 2018 3:52PM
    Answer ✓
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    this has happened to me for a long long time, way before this event, very frequently and to all of my characters...at first i thought that it might have been an addon issue, but when I started looking around on the forums and discussions with guildies, it became apparent that it was a game issue, not an addon issue. From that point, when I realized that I couldn't do anything & it wasn't something I could address by troubleshooting the addons, I just tried to ignore the problem, but that's very hard to do, of course.

is it happening more now with this event? I can't really tell...

Answer ✓
  • Neoealth
    Neoealth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tanek wrote: »
    I swear I have the New Life quest being tracked, but then at some point I look up and it has just changed to track some other random quest I had in my journal. I end up having to manually switch it back over and over. Driving me bonkers.

Any way to stop this? Is it something I am doing?

Thanks.

It's true, happens to me all the time, as soon as you load into the area you just wayshrined to, you lose the event quest on the tracker and whatever quest is in that area gets tracked instead. Quite annoying.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Whats weird is, I didn't have any trouble with this on my main, but on my alt it kept happening and it was extremely irritating x.x
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • tanek
    tanek
    ✭✭✭
    fgoron2000 wrote: »

I don't know if it is happening more with this event, but I can tell you that I don't wayshrine between zones nearly this much in normal play. If that is what triggers it, this event is probably making it much more noticeable.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if it is happening more with this event, but I can tell you that I don't wayshrine between zones nearly this much in normal play. If that is what triggers it, this event is probably making it much more noticeable.

It should not be event related. There is nothing special about the events.

However, we are traveling at least twice (there and back) for each quest except for one. That probably makes it more noticeable.

Often when we pick up a quest we are doing it right then in the same zone and do not need to travel.
  • kimaeril
    kimaeril
    ✭✭✭
    I've had this issue since launch and before I used addons. It can be quite annoying.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not just this event I have it happen on other area dailies as well. It does seem to have gotten worse recently though.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hardly game breaking, but aggravating as hell!
  • Riverlynn
    Riverlynn
    ✭✭✭✭

I notice it more when I'm using the 'travel to player' option (thank you guilds!) on alts that don't have all the locations.

Doesn't seem to happen to me when I map straight to a waypoint.
    My accountant told me to invest my money in bonds. So I bought 100 copies of Goldfinger.

Unicorns and cannonballs, palaces and piers
    Trumpets, towers and tenements, wide oceans full of tears.
    Flags, rags ferryboats, scimitars and scarves
    Every precious dream and vision, underneath the stars.
  • Monsieur
    Monsieur
    ✭✭✭
    kimaeril wrote: »
    I've had this issue since launch and before I used addons. It can be quite annoying.

It happens on console too so definitely nothing to do with addons.
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    I am having this problem for all my quests, not just New Life.

Keep losing focus on the current quest.
    I think ZOS has messed it up!
    Malborn
    PC-EU
  • tanek
    tanek
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the replies. If this is something stretching back to the start of the game (as seems to be the case), then I won't hold my breath for a fix. I'd like to see ZOS respond to the situation, though, since it does seem to affect everyone.

As someone noted, it is hardly game breaking, but it is also not a problem I have had in any other game. I mean, it is a quest tracker. Just leave it tracking the one we choose. Isn't that its purpose? :)
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tested this without addons active and the active quest did change fairly often without addons. As I stated earlier, this is just something Zos has decided is not important enough to fix.
  • Jolipinator
    Jolipinator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I felt like this big was fixed at one point. After Dragon Bones, or Summerset, but then it came back, with a vengeance.
    PS5 EU.
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This happens to me PS4NA when I travel. Both wayshrine and fast travel.
    PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This all started about a year or so ago when they made newly picked-up quests replace existing as the active quest.

It has gotten me "lost" a few times so now I check after I travel via Wayshrines or port to player.

Add-on's cannot fix this as the ability to lock the quest is not available.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • GreebosBane
    GreebosBane
    Soul Shriven
    This happens with any multiple quest giver because you are accepting the next quest too soon, the same thing happens with the Mirkmire prolog missions as well.

The solution is to turn in your finished quest then pause until the "quest completed" words start to fade from the screen before accepting the next quest.

If you do this your new mission will not be removed from the quest tracker.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Happening on console too so it's definitely not an addon issue.
  • tanek
    tanek
    ✭✭✭
    This happens with any multiple quest giver because you are accepting the next quest too soon, the same thing happens with the Mirkmire prolog missions as well.

The solution is to turn in your finished quest then pause until the "quest completed" words start to fade from the screen before accepting the next quest.

If you do this your new mission will not be removed from the quest tracker.

Interesting. I will give that a try and see what happens.
    Edited by tanek on December 17, 2018 8:22PM
  • ZettaVC
    ZettaVC
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Granted, it could be addon related but I recall this happening early in the game when I did not use addons.

I play on Xbox, so no add ons, happens very regularly. Almost everytime I travel!
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One of those annoyances.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know where the people saying this has been happening since launch are coming from. The bug of our active quest changing upon zoning crept up about a year to a year-and-a-half ago. For me, it always switches to the top quest in my log, which is inevitably some Cyrodiil quest.

The change where accepting a new quest makes that quest active is relatively recent (and was welcome, at least by me.) But as of Murkmire, the bug with the active quest changing when zoning has gotten way, way more common.

Sure, it's minor, but it's absolutely something that was working that they broke.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • KillahBrew
    I haven't had this problem before or haven't noticed it perhaps. Now it happens with every port. Seems new life festival related to me
  • Jameliel
    Jameliel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the replies. If this is something stretching back to the start of the game (as seems to be the case), then I won't hold my breath for a fix. I'd like to see ZOS respond to the situation, though, since it does seem to affect everyone.

As someone noted, it is hardly game breaking, but it is also not a problem I have had in any other game. I mean, it is a quest tracker. Just leave it tracking the one we choose. Isn't that its purpose? :)

More likely to win the lottery than to get a response from zos :D
  • Hoolielulu
    Hoolielulu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else have the issue where you're told to "Return to Breda" but you get there and you end up having to go back and finish the quest? Happens to be at least twice and never for the same quest. Today it was Lava Foot Stomp and Signal Fire Sprint, yesterday it was Snow Bear Plunge and Mud Ball Merriment. LOADING SCREENS
  • Kitty_Quietly
    Kitty_Quietly
    ✭✭✭
    ZettaVC wrote: »

I play on Xbox, so no add ons, happens very regularly. Almost everytime I travel!

Wow. I’m on xbox as well. I just commented in another thread about me messing up with map stuff during this event. Thought it was just me doing something stupid while tired. Well, yeah, I probably am still doing plenty of stupid stuff, but maybe the game is responsble for some of the map related things.

Not that huge of a problem for me, but interesting that others are also noticing it.

• Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst wandering around Mirkmire I was doing dailies and periodically the 'live quest' would cycle on to another (non-Mirkmire quest). This is very annoying if you do not notice that the quest has switched as the direction indicator is screwed up as a consequence.

Staying on 1 quest at a time is just not practical once you advance far enough in the game.

Malborn
    PC-EU
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It should not be event related. There is nothing special about the events.

However, we are traveling at least twice (there and back) for each quest except for one. That probably makes it more noticeable.

Often when we pick up a quest we are doing it right then in the same zone and do not need to travel.
    Good point most quests are done inside an zone, however this quests involves traveling to other zones and back.
    The weird part is that target marker back to Brenda sometimes don't shop up on map unless quest is selected.
    Other markes shows.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just memorize the maps and turn all that UI junk off. B)