The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Launcher keeps prompting me to install VC... It's already installed

Preypacer
Preypacer
✭✭
So, I started getting this out of the blue. When ever I start the launcher, it brings up an installer asking if I want to install Microsoft Visual C, etc... I already have it installed.

I tried uninstalling and installing the game from scratch. Still does it.
Tried uninstalling VC+ 2010 64 and 32 bit, reboot, reinstall launcher along with both VC 2010 versions. It's still doing it.

Why is the launcher unable to recognize it's installed already?

Anyway, here's a shot of what I'm talking about..
snnjm8vgqb05.png

• RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Preypacer wrote: »
    So, I started getting this out of the blue. When ever I start the launcher, it brings up an installer asking if I want to install Microsoft Visual C, etc... I already have it installed.

Tried uninstalling VC+ 2010 64 and 32 bit, reboot, reinstall launcher along with both VC 2010 versions. It's still doing it.

snnjm8vgqb05.png

Have you searched (google) for Microsoft Visual C+ redistribution? It is not an uncommon problem that games need a special version of MS C+ redistribution to work. It can be left over in Windows registry that blocks the new version to load correctly and it needs to be in certain place to be found (path) from game executable or in this case ESO launcher.

Have you tried to start game directly from game executable without launcher? Do you have administration rights on your computer (MS security level might block installation if it is set too high)?

On MS you can download and install each MS VC+ distr. (you can have several different version on a gaming system as each game might have been build around a certain version that they need to work).

Hope it will help you to find a solution!

Merry Xmas!
  • Preypacer
    Preypacer
    ✭✭
    Hello,

Thanks for the response.

This is the redistribution that comes with the game and is installed when you are installing the game itself. I removed the previously installed versions specifically because ESO couldn't install its versions otherwise. Once I removed the previous installs, rebooted and ran the installer again, ESO installed both without a hitch. It's just not recognizing that it exists.

If the version installed isn't what ESO needs to run, then ESO itself is installing the wrong version.

Also, like I said, this happened out of the blue. I've played this game for years, and it never happened before. This is only happening in the last few weeks. I have high enough administration rights to install it, just as long as the installer doesn't detect a version already installed. That's not been an issue, either, 'til this started.

For whatever reason, the launcher isn't recognizing that it's there, even after installing it.

Interestingly, I just saw that it won't prompt me to install if I run the launcher as Admin. Only if I run it normally. Not sure why that's happening, as it was never the case before. I could just run it and it was fine. So.. again... this just started happening in the last few weeks.
    RexyCat wrote: »
    Have you searched (google) for Microsoft Visual C+ redistribution? It is not an uncommon problem that games need a special version of MS C+ redistribution to work. It can be left over in Windows registry that blocks the new version to load correctly and it needs to be in certain place to be found (path) from game executable or in this case ESO launcher.

Have you tried to start game directly from game executable without launcher? Do you have administration rights on your computer (MS security level might block installation if it is set too high)?

On MS you can download and install each MS VC+ distr. (you can have several different version on a gaming system as each game might have been build around a certain version that they need to work).

Hope it will help you to find a solution!

Merry Xmas!

Edited by Preypacer on December 16, 2018 1:48PM
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello,

Thanks for the response. (EDIT: deleted by Shadowshire)

This is the redistribution that comes with the game and is installed when you are installing the game itself. I removed the previously installed versions specifically because ESO couldn't install its versions otherwise. Once I removed the previous installs, rebooted and ran the installer again, ESO installed both without a hitch. It's just not recognizing that it exists.

Interestingly, I just saw that it won't prompt me to install if I run the launcher as Admin. Only if I run it normally. Not sure why that's happening, as it was never the case before. I could just run it and it was fine. So.. again... this just started happening in the last few weeks.
    When you run Launcher with Administrative privileges, it will have access to folders that it will not have if it is not run with Admin privileges. Evidently, that pertains to access to the Visual C Redistributable file folders.

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello,

Thanks for the response. (EDIT: deleted by Shadowshire)

When you run Launcher with Administrative privileges, it will have access to folders that it will not have if it is not run with Admin privileges. Evidently, that pertains to access to the Visual C Redistributable file folders.

I would not expect admin mode to be required. It is not stated and I am not having an issue not running it in Admin mode.
  • Atreidus
    Atreidus
    ✭✭✭
    Hi. Pleae enable updtes for other prducts at your windows update. Ths shall solve it once and for all.
    Also check windows update often.
    Do NOT play with early Windows test builds.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭

snnjm8vgqb05.png

I am not an expert.

I had the same issue a few weeks ago on a Windows 7/64 computer that had been running ESO perfectly 'fine' since I built the rig in 2016.

Anyway, I did some digging on the net, and on my hard drives.
    There are two versions of the VC file installer dated 2015 and 2017.

One of the Microsoft sites said to reinstall the 2017 version by doubleclicking on the installer.
    Another Microsoft site said I had to uninstall the 2017 version first, reinstall the 2015 version by doubleclicking, then reinstall the 2017 version.

I ended up just doubleclicking on the reinstall 2017 version, and it's worked the passed few weeks.
    My sister just developed the same problem on her similar setup with ESO, and we're miles apart but on the same Comcast fiberoptic/cable line, and I have zero clue whether Comcast is the slightest bit involved in the issue.

Anyway, do some digging on the net, and see if you find anything you trust related to the above info, and decide if you have any faith in the answers.
    I'm just trying to give you a direction to search in.

Best of luck, I hope you solve it quickly.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.