The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Layered Mechanics are a Lazy and Poor Design

Stamicka
Stamicka
✭✭✭✭✭
I’m making this post because I’ve been noticing a trend in terms of the design of new content. Ever since the release of VAS, ZOS has been layering mechanics. By layering I mean that the designers take mechanics from a previous fights. and just stack them with mechanics of another fight. For example, for VAS hardmode no new mechanics are created, you just experience mechanics from 3 bosses at once. The problem with this is that one player can experience 3 different mechanics at the same time. I understand that this is supposed to be difficult content, but it shows a lack of creativity and creates a stale hardmode fight. Below are other fights that ZOS has layered:

vMoon Hunter Keep final boss HM repeats the mechanic of the previous boss while you’re experiencing other mechanics

vBlackrose stage 4 just layers the previous 3 stages over each other

vCR self explanatory

There’s probably more that just aren’t coming to mind

As you can see a lot of newer content includes this layering. Instead of learning new exciting and difficult mechanics, we just have to deal with recycled mechanics at the same time. The fights often feel more RNG based than they should. I truly hope ZOS starts putting more effort into future PVE content.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not read the post but saw vAS and vCR which I figured was the case.

You do not stand alone and I expect that the raiders that discuss things directly with Zos (not the class reps) have mentioned how this is a poor means to design a fight. It has more to do that the fights are boring rather than it being a lazy design.

I figure what we see in a few months will inform us if this is how Zos intends to continue or if this is just an unfortunate phase.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For AS and CR they have stated they didnt have enough time for a full trial so that definitely contributes to the lack of uniqueness.

Last full trial [hof] did present novel mechanics and environment damage different tjan the others.

The latest 6 dungeons all show unrepeated mechanics, i get what you are saying about mhk, but still think the final boss doggos adds uniqueness.

I think given the time they would love to give us a new trial, but we cant predict their future workload
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t usually mind the vAS and vCR combined mechanics. They rarely combine in ways that can’t be handled with practice. The 4th stage of Blackrose though, is just tedious. It’s like if Cloudrest required you to kill the 3 minis individually, then do a +3 without Z’Maja, then finally kill Z’Maja.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    Last full trial [hof] did present novel mechanics and environment damage different tjan the others.

The final boss in HoF is still very boring when compared to MoL.

Further, vHoF HM is a virtual joke. No added mechanic. Just more health and damage received. It
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    For AS and CR they have stated they didnt have enough time for a full trial so that definitely contributes to the lack of uniqueness.

The latest 6 dungeons all show unrepeated mechanics, i get what you are saying about mhk, but still think the final boss doggos adds uniqueness.

I think given the time they would love to give us a new trial, but we cant predict their future workload

Ya know what? Wtf are they even working on? Every single thing that gets released is half assed done and screams cobbled together as fast as possible. Every mount/pet is a reskin. Nobody can spare a few days to invent something new??? It all just screams corporate is demanding more product but less of it with as minimal resources put into this game as possible.

Sorry, the whole ran out of time thing set me off. What else were they working on? Half assing as much as possible like the trends been lately?!?!?!?!
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd