The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Should there be more Buffs or Nerfs?

HobosEverywear
Should classes, races, skills, passives and or gear be buffed to keep up with BIS builds or should BIS builds be nerfed like ZOS seems to continue to do whenever something becomes BIS. What do you think should happen?

I do think that this game would be more enjoyable if your choices had consequences and or were rewarded in situational content. If everyone can do the same content on any character using the same strategy wheres the uniqueness?
Edited by HobosEverywear on December 14, 2018 7:25PM

Should there be more Buffs or Nerfs? 45 votes

Buffs
75% 34 votes
Nerfs
24% 11 votes
  • MyKillv2.0
    MyKillv2.0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerf everything to the ground. :D:D
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    buffs
    at a place nobody knows
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MyKillv2.0 wrote: »
    Nerf everything to the ground. :D:D

ar15.gifwhack_3.gifbehead.giffighting19.gif
    blowup.gif
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They should buff everyone who plays a Khajiit Stam DK wearing Stormfist, Relequen in Julianos white with Atmoran Bronze accents, Advancing Yokeda daggers and jewelry, a Master's Bow. All else should be nerfed.

Sorry, just seeing how it feels to be a PVP-only player
  • Latios
    Latios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one is a pretty obvious answer. Buff content OR classes, but not nerf. Nothing is worse than farming a set only for it to be axed moments later.
    The Eon Pokémon.
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classes, race, skills, passives are all things that are available to anyone. Anyone can create a character with the same "benefits". It should however be balanced enough, but it's also impossible to straight out have 100% balance when different classes/races/skills/passives ought to perform certain roles better/worse than other classes/races/skills/passives in certain areas.
    If everyone has the same AoE dmg, single target dmg, mitigation, hp, healing done/recieved, and what not, then there's no point for these differences (classes, races, skills, passives) to even exist to begin with. We can all just have one standard character to chose from with nothing but cosmetic differences.

Gear should act as a motivation to progress through new content, because gear is a part of your characters progression. Personally I'd like More differences in gear, because as it is I have absolutely no incentive to do newer trials or dungeons, because it makes no difference to my character.
    But this issue won't go away for as long as ZOS thinks everyone should be able to experience everything and the threshold to progress through content is so easy (to make everyone able to experience the same content).
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • WhitePawPrints
    WhitePawPrints
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take more balancing.
  • TheStealthDude
    TheStealthDude
    ✭✭✭✭
    If 1 thing is overperforming vs 8 other things, why would you spend the time (likely 8x the time) to buff the other 8 instead of taking a fraction of the time to nerf the overperforming thing? Also, on top of just being inefficient, constant buffing without nerfing will just lead to power creep.

I think its stupid to be ONLY for buffs or ONLY for nerfs. Good balancing is going to require that both happen at some point or another.
  • HobosEverywear
    I do think that this game would be more enjoyable if your choices had consequences and or were rewarded in situational content. If everyone can do the same content on any character using the same strategy wheres the uniqueness?
    Edited by HobosEverywear on December 14, 2018 7:24PM
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerf every stacking set, every heavy armor damage set and light attack.

Buff base sustain and heavy attack damage.

Buff khajiit speed somewhere. Almost 2 years in and I'm still pissed at that snub.
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it really depends on what the situation is to be honest. I like to say buff everything so it is just matched, but then I think of my normal battlegrounds run for my daily rewards lol. I couldn't find all the damn steal thing night blades spamming one move that does so much damage it takes 50%+ of my health and then think do I really want everything doing that? LOLOL so my answer is no please don't buff everything to that level. Nerf the stealth damage and then buff classes please :)
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They keep saying they want chars to look more badass yet keep scaling them back! LOL
    And where is blinding flashes?! I'm calling bs Z, my friends.
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't even think about the game in terms of "buffs" or "nerfs," but "changes." Most of the changes the developers make to the combat mechanics of this game are minor ones that aren't really noticeable unless one is a persnickety stats-tracker or power gamer.

Any combat mechanics changes the developers make need to be give-and-take unless they feel like completely re-writing the metrics for everything else in the game. If you only reduce numerical values, suddenly you end up in a situation where players are finding content too challenging or impossible to complete. Similarly, if you only increase numerical values, suddenly you end up in a situation where players are finding content too easy and new content is developed to that higher threshold.

What I've noticed happening in this game are content balance problems created by escalations in player damage output and damage mitigation ability. One damage dealer doing twice or more the output of another is symptomatic of this, and it needs to be reigned in as those gaps seem to have gotten worse rather than better over time. There are two really simple ways the developers could fix this. One of those two things the developers have already been unable to fix, so that leaves bringing back stat caps or having harsh diminishing returns over a certain value. They did that sort of thing with CP already, so it's not that much of a stretch to do it for other aspects of the game. You all, I suppose, would call that a "nerf."
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Both?
  • AbysmalGhul
    AbysmalGhul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote nerf it to the ground. I'm content with just posing in lobbies B)
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "No"
  • Veuth
    Veuth
    ✭✭✭
    Buff the weak stuff so it can contend with the OP stuff that everyone wants nerfed and then nobody will ask for nerfs, problem solved.