The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Suggestion for Emperor Restrictions

disintegr8
disintegr8
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I'll start by saying I am never anywhere near becoming Emperor, so this is not directly for my benefit. I'll also say that I know the PVP lifers will have a field day putting this suggestion down, so am wearing heavy armour in readiness.

I think ZOS should look at placing restrictions on how often and/or how frequently the same character (not player) can become Emperor in the same campaign. I don't mean only once per 7/30 day campaign, I am talking about a restriction over something like a 6 month time span.

Say you are current Emp in Vivec on PC NA, once you are either deposed or the campaign finishes, that character is unable to be crowned Emperor in Vivec on PC NA for another 6 months. You can bring another character in, or run that character in another campaign, or even keep running that character in that campaign. If you stay on that character and your alliance takes all the Emp keeps, the next character in line becomes Emp, even if you are on top of your alliance leader board.

Never spending enough time in Cyrodiil to even get near Emp, I am not sure but do not see any lasting benefit in repeatedly being crowned Emperor. I believe you get perks while you are Emp which help you and your group in fights (and may also stroke your ego) but once you are deposed, it makes no difference if you have been Emp once of fifty times.

I just think that it would help keep the interest up if more people had the chance of becoming Emp without having to sacrifice their life in favor of zerging in Cyrodiil.

I'm ready for the backlash now, so bring it on.
Australian on PS4 NA server.
Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not in favor of the idea that games shouldn't have exclusive, difficult to obtain rewards that are only available to a minority.

If you look at the PVE side of the game, most achievements have been watered down to the point no one cares about them. There are very few exclusive items outside of the Crown store. Almost everything has been trivialized to be widely accessible -- which also removed most of the value.

If anything, I think it should be more difficult to obtain emp so that deposing is not part of the regular AvA routine like it's been lately.
    Edited by zyk on December 10, 2018 12:45AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never been emp myself, helped emp plenty of guildies on PC/NA Vivec and Shor.

If you want to be Emp without sacrificing your life on the altar of AP farming, don't do it on PC/NA Vivec. Try Shor instead - and even then you'd best prepare for a serious AP push against other players often going for their first Emperorship.

Part of being Emperor isn't just getting the achievement. Its being the best warrior for your faction - which the people who top the leaderboard for AP have generally shown the ability to be at important fights consistently - along with the ability to coordinate with your faction, again, something most emperors do at some level. Not all Emps are great warriors or zone generals, but many are pretty decent at the role.

In short, if your only interest in being emperor is ticking a box and getting the achievement, try it on an easier server with lower population. That's not to say that Emps on Shor arent valid! I've helped with several emp pushes that were very hard fought and very fun, and being Emp on Shor is pretty awesome.

If you want to step up, gaining AP with other dedicated players as you fight for and with your faction over 30 days, then, try for Vivec and be prepared to put the time and effort in to hang with the players who spend hours fighting for their faction.
    Edited by VaranisArano on December 10, 2018 12:50AM
  • Crown
    Crown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    Say you are current Emp in Vivec on PC NA, once you are either deposed or the campaign finishes, that character is unable to be crowned Emperor in Vivec on PC NA for another 6 months. You can bring another character in, or run that character in another campaign, or even keep running that character in that campaign. If you stay on that character and your alliance takes all the Emp keeps, the next character in line becomes Emp, even if you are on top of your alliance leader board.

There has been a thread like this every month or two for the past five years. The arguments have all been made before.
    Never spending enough time in Cyrodiil to even get near Emp, I am not sure but do not see any lasting benefit in repeatedly being crowned Emperor. I believe you get perks while you are Emp which help you and your group in fights (and may also stroke your ego) but once you are deposed, it makes no difference if you have been Emp once of fifty times.

Details of what you get as emperor: https://darkelves.com/emperor/

Having been emperor a few hundred times, what I remember most if the overpowered feeling of being able to take on a zerg, and win. That whole 1vX thing that people think they do now.. Back then an emperor could 1v50 and often win. These days an emperor's destro hits a bit harder, but it's nothing like what it was back in the pre 1Tamriel days
    I just think that it would help keep the interest up if more people had the chance of becoming Emp without having to sacrifice their life in favor of zerging in Cyrodiil.

You don't make the most AP while zerging. Here's the math: https://goo.gl/iQ3AwS, and here's a guide I wrote on making AP: https://darkelves.com/making-ap/

If you want to be emperor, this might help: https://darkelves.com/achieving-emperor/. During the double AP events when they open up more campaigns, there is usually at least one that has emperor flipping continuously. Follow the guide, and you'll get it easily enough.
    Crown | AD NB | First AD/NA Grand Overlord (2015/12/26)
    PvP Guides @ DarkElves.com
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree because Emperor essentially comes to those who invest the most productive time into Cyrodiil. We should not cheapen something because we want more people to get an achievement even though they cannot or choose to not put enough time and effort into something.

We might as well just abandon it all together instead of devaluing it.
  • OFFL1MIT
    OFFL1MIT
    ✭✭✭
    Good idea actualy. Im tired of IC flag grinders too, they get emperor but they never online when they get it, probably because it plays for another faction with different alt (there is one person doing like that). Emperor should be playing with people and people should choose the right emperor, not some traitor or grinding nolifer So why not making from top 10 list for people to vote for right person, this would be difficult system to make , but alot better than current. People playing campaign would re-elect when last emperor looses it's crown. That way every person who wants to become emperor, would have to be a loved by the people.

The problem with restriction is that still the person who gets emp will not give a f.... anyway.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I never help emp pushes these days. The HP boost doesn't do much for me and its usually a lagfest. I also don't care about it because that achievement, its benefits, and glory, aren't mine and never will be. Most of the people I don't even see in Cyrodil, and I won't fight for someone I feel is undeserving of it.

Then there are people that push on off hours with severe # differences. If I see that, I gotta switch faction to the lower pop faction and challenge that push. I'm not sorry about it, no matter who it angers :D
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll start by saying I am never anywhere near becoming Emperor, so this is not directly for my benefit. I'll also say that I know the PVP lifers will have a field day putting this suggestion down, so am wearing heavy armour in readiness.

I think ZOS should look at placing restrictions on how often and/or how frequently the same character (not player) can become Emperor in the same campaign. I don't mean only once per 7/30 day campaign, I am talking about a restriction over something like a 6 month time span.

I'm ready for the backlash now, so bring it on.

I don't get it. I don't get what problem you are trying to fix.

Too many suggestions for watering down the challenge of getting emp seem based around letting more people tick off the achievement and me me, that's on of the worst reasons someone could have for getting Emperor. And changes to the system to enable more box ticking just isn't healthy.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Sacredx
    Sacredx
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the current emp system could do with an upgrade. What about having a 'council' of top 10 on the leader-board who get a small bonus, say 25% of emp bonus when there is an emp. Those who are 2 to 10 deserve something for their effort. Honestly we need a more generous system that shares the rewards, not some despotism system that exists right now.

This way people like the OP or those that can't invest the time can still get some benefit.
    PC NA PvP Oceanic
    The Kelly Gang [TKG]
    Highest kill streak: https://i.imgur.com/V6jJhoy.png
    KB sample: https://i.imgur.com/n7TFyZr.png
    TKG raid sample: https://youtube.com/watch?v=RkrsHg3T7pc
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never been emp myself, helped emp plenty of guildies on PC/NA Vivec and Shor.

If you want to be Emp without sacrificing your life on the altar of AP farming, don't do it on PC/NA Vivec. Try Shor instead - and even then you'd best prepare for a serious AP push against other players often going for their first Emperorship.

Part of being Emperor isn't just getting the achievement. Its being the best warrior for your faction - which the people who top the leaderboard for AP have generally shown the ability to be at important fights consistently - along with the ability to coordinate with your faction, again, something most emperors do at some level. Not all Emps are great warriors or zone generals, but many are pretty decent at the role.

In short, if your only interest in being emperor is ticking a box and getting the achievement, try it on an easier server with lower population. That's not to say that Emps on Shor arent valid! I've helped with several emp pushes that were very hard fought and very fun, and being Emp on Shor is pretty awesome.

If you want to step up, gaining AP with other dedicated players as you fight for and with your faction over 30 days, then, try for Vivec and be prepared to put the time and effort in to hang with the players who spend hours fighting for their faction.

Emp literally has nothing to do with anything aside from who is able to stay home all day and play lol.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You want term limits, basically :trollface:

This idea just turns it into a queue of the top AP scores on the leaderboard. That only changes the problem, doesn't eliminate it.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Stratforge
    Stratforge
    ✭✭✭✭
    #AbolishEmp imo
    PC NA
    Xbox One NA (retired)
  •  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I disagree because Emperor essentially comes to those who invest the most productive time into Cyrodiil zerg hardest.

FIFY
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

IGN- @Juies || Youtube || Twitch
    EP - Julianos . Jules . Family Jules . Jules of Misrule. Joy
    DC - Julsie . Jules . Jukes . Jojuji . Juliet . Jaded
    AD - Juice . Jubaited . Joules . Julmanji . Julogy . Jubroni . Ju Jitsu

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never had it either. Choosing between sleep and gaming, sleep always wins, and I'm fine with that. What I've never understood was how holding a political position grants tremendous physical/magical strength and makes a person siege better.
  • montiferus
    montiferus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Emps on xbox (Vivec) are consistently some of the worst players out there. They just play longer and zerg harder. That is it. Nothing more. Some of them are so bad they are beatable in a 1v1.
  • Iskras
    Iskras
    ✭✭✭
    I always end up in the top 10 campaigns in my faction. I could conquer the EMP easily. Then I remember that being an Emperor means being online at 'lagfest', defending EMP (and this is horrible given the performance of the game) ... so always ending up with this idea.

:#
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You want term limits, basically :trollface:

This idea just turns it into a queue of the top AP scores on the leaderboard. That only changes the problem, doesn't eliminate it.
    Call it '"term limits" if you will, but in my mind, anything that gives more people a chance at becoming Emp is a good thing.

Most people know that getting Emp is not about skill. With the few campaigns we have it's simply about who can play the most and/or who can best manipulate that play time (i.e. zerg, play in the 'current' strongest alliance, take the most advantage of bonuses, get on when other players or alliances are offline, etc).

This could simply be called politics and has nothing to do with actual skill at the game.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imho the biggest emperor problem is that once some one becomes emperor (because of insane bonuses) one player can make AP significantly faster than others, thus making it close to impossible for other players from the same faction getting emp title (maybe slightly toning down those bonuses would help a bit ? idk).

Worst case scenario is when some one who already had emp becomes emp again making the achievement "blocked" pretty much the rest of players from the same faction.

OP suggestions about some additional "restrictions" are kinda a good idea. Some time ago I was even thinking how this could be improved and I was also thinking about something like you can become emperor only once per 7 day campaign and like 3 times per 1 month campaign or like once per week etc.

On the other hand what if some one literally plays 24/7 ? Such player could feel that such restrictions are simply unfair. So there is really no good solution here.

But I think emp problem is the least important problem cyro has right now. Lags, faction swapping, reloging, scroll deliveries, population exploits, scroring, night / morning capping... those are far worse.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on December 17, 2018 9:33PM
  • Sacredx
    Sacredx
    ✭✭✭
    Imho the biggest emperor problem is that once some one becomes emperor (because of insane bonuses) one player can make AP significantly faster than others, thus making it close to impossible for other players from the same faction getting emp title (maybe slightly toning down those bonuses would help a bit ? idk).

The main reason (by a long shot) a player gets into an emp position (1st) is because they invest time into the game to earn AP. That is it. AP earned while being emp or the AP buff are all minor advantages and are not the primary cause.

I have been emp and I have watched others get emp. All of which including myself got emp because they had the time to play the game to get 1st place. You could be the best AP earning player in the game but if you can't put in the hours you will not get emp. This is how the game works. It is really as simple as this.
    PC NA PvP Oceanic
    The Kelly Gang [TKG]
    Highest kill streak: https://i.imgur.com/V6jJhoy.png
    KB sample: https://i.imgur.com/n7TFyZr.png
    TKG raid sample: https://youtube.com/watch?v=RkrsHg3T7pc
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I think should change with emperor is once the campaign is over the emperor status should not carry into the next one.