Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Unable to purchase ESO plus

ZettaVC
ZettaVC
✭✭
I have been unable to purchase ESO plus now for three months. The subscription ran successfully but got cancelled for no reason at the end of August. There was sufficient funds and no issues with my bank or PayPal.

I contacted CS and they told me it was a Microsoft issue. No problem.

Now I have been trying to get somewhere with Microsoft customer support. I have tried using different cards, other people's card. I have tried changing region and using console and every available web browser to make the purchase. I always get the same error message:

Something happened at our end. Waiting a bit might help.

Anyone else experienced this? Microsoft seemed stumped after 3 months of investigation.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's entirely possible it's a problem on ZOS' end. CS usually likes to pass the buck, when they can. I'd recommend reaching out to ZOS CS again and try to get them to take a look at your game account. Maybe something is flagged there that is preventing you from subbing. Especially when it got cancelled unexpectedly. If it's not a funds problem, then it may be something is off with your game account.

I've not run into this problem and successfully switched my sub to 12-month when it renewed in November. I did this on their website. It sounds like you've tried both - going to their website directly or trying to sub in-game, which takes you to the XB store.

I don't know at what point in purchasing a sub on console that ZOS' servers are consulted to activate ESO+. Maybe it's trying to link to your game account with ZOS and something goes wrong, which is why I suggested contacting CS again. Also, XB has been notorious for periodically not sending the monthly crown allotment, so there definitely is an issue that can occur when a sub renews. But not being able to even purchase a sub? Not sure if it's related to the other issue or not.

Good luck to you. Sorry I could only provide some vague speculation.
  • ZettaVC
    ZettaVC
    ✭✭
    I will try to reach out to ZOS again. Thanks for replying I appreciate it. I haven't actually tried to purchase it through their own website. I would imagine it just redirects you to the Microsoft store? But I'll check that out. Thanks.

I will say that Microsoft do seem to acknowledge that it is their problem. The sub originally cancelled when then was a severe disruption to Microsoft services at the end of August. The issues lasted several days from what I remember. To begin with I waited until the services were all back up again because I assumed it was something related to that.

Also in some instances when I sign into my Microsoft account I can see the 'cancelled' subscription listed. E.g. on my console and occasionally the app (comes and goes on the app). Never on the browser. I have read posts that suggest this should disappear from my console and app listings because it is months old now and that until this is cleared a 'new' subscription can't be added.

This makes sense to me because if you buy 1 month you cannot then buy a one year sub until the 1 month is up. If I am correct??

Anyway, each time I try to suggest this in my emails with Microsoft support they just completely ignore it. No acknowledgement of the suggestion at all.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ah...then it does sound like an issue with Microsoft, so perhaps an email to ZOS might not help, although it might be worth it to submit a ticket and then try to explain the exact issue. Maybe there is something they can see on their end that might help.

By website, I meant Microsoft's Xbox site, where you can see all your account information, buy games, renew/cancel subs, etc.

If your account shows that ESO+ is cancelled and that status is still there, then that may indeed be the issue. When you cancel a sub, it stays active until the sub ends. However, you can change the renewal from 1-month to 12-month, which takes effect when the sub renews. But in your case, the sub is showing as cancelled, so you presumably can't go in and alter that to renew again. I don't know whether the status goes away, however, as on PC, it's always shown my ESO plus status as cancelled, even years after switching to XB, and I recently subbed again for 3 months since I've been doing the recent events and wanted the advantage of the crafting bag.

I don't recall the severe disruption in August specifically (there have been many disruptions to their services over the years) but I suppose it's because it didn't affect my accounts.

I hope you're able to get this resolved. I'm not sure why they would accept responsibility and try to find a solution and just ignore your suggestion of the possible cause. Also, you'd think it would be in ZOS' best interest to try to investigate this a little more for you, since, you know, they're missing out on a sub until this is resolved.