The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Merchant or Banker?

Elsonso
Elsonso
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Between the Crown Merchant and the Crown Banker, if you can only purchase one of them, which is the one to get?

Edited by Elsonso on November 21, 2018 4:30PM
PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus

Merchant or Banker? 103 votes

Banker
70%
NestorlaurajfDeadlyRecluseMonkLoHanDaveMoeDeeDanikatMaythorIselinarakis99ub17_ESOfirvainidkJasonSilverSpringRematinleandro.800ub17_ESOczarAtallantaDarkhorse1975reoskitookami007HidesFromSun 73 votes
Merchant
19%
DarcyMardinSkuaCillion3117bri5RGvolterraDojohodaBlueBinAthymhormiaSchmetterfroschLordLomaxKrawchiFeanorLeechedsintetizzatoreRamberrabidmyersStormChaser3000THEMourningLilyfrostz417codestripper 20 votes
None/Other
9%
WolfpawDelgentBananaDBZVelenaEthyariongepe87Starlight_KnightNumerikuuItaciraApostateHobo 10 votes
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banker
    There are NPC merchants all over the game. There are very few bankers. And, you can bank a 100 items and sell them later. You cant sell a 100 items and then bank them later.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banker
    If I had to choose. While the merchant is extremely convenient, with the banker you can always store your extra junk and pull it out whenever you encounter a traveling merchant and sell it. Makes farming so much faster and convenient. Running dungeons? No need to go to town, pull out banker, store goodies, resume with next dungeon.

I have both. While overly expensive, wish I had bought em long ago.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm considering getting the banker myself. But man, I hate that dark elf (and I hate that they're all clones). Convenience outweighs the cosmetics?

Tbh, I'm scared (? probably not the right word, but worried's not it either) that as soon as I purchase these, a new, non-Dunmer version will come out and then I'll be kicking myself.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • StormChaser3000
    StormChaser3000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merchant
    Never had a need in banker, while always was missing a merchant. Got a merchant. She is perfect for long questing or treature chest looting without going to the town.
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banker
    I have both, but the banker is better by a country mile. I bought some crowns to buy the banker, and gold to get the merchant. It's the only time I have bought crowns, and it was worth every penny. I got them in a sale when the discount was better.

The only time the banker is of no use is if you mostly do PvP, as banker and merchant don't work in Cyrodil.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banker
    I pass all the armour, weapons and jewellery I can't use to my crafter to deconstruct, plus all the materials, recipes and motifs (to either use or hold until I can sell them in a guild store). The only things I sell to merchants regularly are ornate equipment and the grey text junk items and I never get many of those.

Therefore I'd get far more use from a portable banker than a merchant.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, y'all convinced me to go with the Banker...
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banker
    I've never regretted buying the banker.

However, today was the first time I ever bought the merchant, because she just wasn't worth full price to me. As someone else said, there are merchants all over the game.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Banker
    I have both, use both...

As long as you manage your bank so that it's never full, the banker is kind of both (can stash stuff tagged as junk, then pull and sell later.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Banker
    I got the banker when we got home storage chests. He really shines as a static NPC in your home next t all your chests to give you easy access to all your stuff.

If you have a lot of alts he's priceless for quickly shuffling items like food and gear from one to another.

The merchant is also convenient but more for "Oh ***!" moments when you find yourself in a dungeon or raid and forgot your inventory was nearly full. Useful but not nearly as much as the banker.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »
    I got the banker when we got home storage chests. He really shines as a static NPC in your home next t all your chests to give you easy access to all your stuff.

If you have a lot of alts he's priceless for quickly shuffling items like food and gear from one to another.

If you have him stationed in your house, and summon him from out in the field, do you have to put him back in the house?
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Banker
    Iselin wrote: »

If you have him stationed in your house, and summon him from out in the field, do you have to put him back in the house?

No, he stays in place in your house even if you summon him elsewhere.

You can actually place him in multiple houses, too.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Viscous119
    Viscous119
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to have overlooked the fact that many players have both.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banker
    I put my banker near my home crafting stations. When I make a research piece for another character, it's just so convenient to hand it over, and log on as the other character to do the research straight from the bank.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None/Other
    Merge the 2 and then add the rest of the missing functionality
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    None/Other
    Neither, gives me a reason to get out of the wild.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Merchant
    I have both and use the merchant the most. I go adventuring a lot which yields many sellable junk items that clog my inventory. I drag the lovely grouch out, sell the junk, and continue my adventures.

If you mostly do town based stuff like writs and dailies then the banker might be better if you're too time pressed to run across town to go to the bank.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banker
    Banker
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Banker
    You're in your house. You move stuff between the storage chests and the bank.
    You're in a dungeon. You have lots of repair kits from crafting writs already. You fetch them from the bank.
    You're buying stuff from a guild trader, and your current character is out of gold. You fetch it from the bank.
    Your crafter is making gear for another character. When she is done, she places it in the bank.
    You offload / get stuff to / from a mule. You place it / collect it from the bank.
    Edited by fred4 on November 24, 2018 11:08AM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merchant
    There is one compelling reason to not get the banker: It's Tythis Andromo.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    There is one compelling reason to not get the banker: It's Tythis Andromo.

LOL...feel the same way about the Redguard merchant. I got her on sale, but, meh.
  • nerfworthy
    nerfworthy
    ✭✭✭
    Banker
    I have both! I use them both pretty equally too, but I think if I had to pick one it would be the banker because they tend to be trickier to find out in the world. Merchant is highly useful while in dungeons, though.
    MagWarden main and a Dunmer enthusiast!