The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Two more newbie Questions - Gear?

VisualDeadlock
Sorry for all the newbie questions. Got some new ones, thanks again for any help!

1) Gear - I understand that with some expansion, they made ESO level scaled. So My level 11 toon is basically carrying the highest level weapon. I was browsing some guild trader guy and was looking for daggers. They were level 50 at cp 160 and did the same damage as my current equipped newbie daggers. Kind of a let down. IS there no gearing to look forward to apart from cosmetic items? Does it change at end game?

2) I sorta want to try a dragon knight, so I made one and skipping the tutorial he is level 3. But from I read (albeit not much), they are primarily staff users. I mean I know I can use any weapon for any class, so was thinking of going dual wield or 2 hander with him, but is that severely gimping him down the road for group content? I do not like caster classes in general.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gearing at CP160 is definitely something to look forward to since that's currently the gear cap.

Scaling means that your character (including gear) is scaled UP to CP160 ... to take into account a low level character's lack of skill points, morphed abilities, gear, and overall inexperience. In other words, it levels the playing field so that you can play content with virtually any other player at any other level.

Higher levels means taking on more challenging content. Such as veteran dungeons at CP160 and veteran DLC dungeons at CP300. Many players won't take you on in the group unless you have that minimum CP.

As for what kind of class and build to play, you can play however you want ... according to your favorite playstyle. Dragonknights come in all kinds of builds and some of them use dual wield and 2-hand, yes. I play three (3) Dragonknights ... an Altmer Magicka DK that's focused mostly on damage, a Wood Elf Main Tank for group content, and a newbie Level 18 Imperial Health Tank (62k health in Vivec PvP; pictured below).

Yes, my Magicka DK runs a Silks of the Sun Inferno Staff. But, if you like playing the weapon lines, then building a Stamina Dragonknight is highly recommended and would be fine for group content. You can always respec skills at a respec shrine if your vision is falling short of expectations ... or if you flat out change you mind. The game is pretty flexible in making changes on the fly. Though you will have to level any new skills up.

YWKMxnS.png
  • Ramber
    Ramber
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are only scaled in the way of health, items don't scale, meaning if you are level 10 and have a level 10 sword you will be doing less and less damage as your character levels above that. While leveling you want to keep your gear/armor as close to your current character level/CP as possible for max effect.

Max armor is level 50/CP160 so once you reach CP160 you can farm/buy/make the best armor in the game and then decon/research your old armor/weapons as they will be useless.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you're level 160 and above, you'll be able to gather full armor sets and use monster sets without worrying that your character will out-level the sets. It's awesome.

If you don't know, a monster set is a two-piece head-and-shoulder set that you get from doing Undaunted dungeons. You get a dungeon quest from an Undaunted enclave (have to be level 45 for this), and do that dungeon on veteran difficulty. You'll get the head piece from the final boss from that veteran dungeon, and the shoulder piece will drop from a chest in the Undaunted enclave. You can only open the chests with keys you get from the Undaunted quest-giver for completing the dungeon. A monster set will add quite a lot to your DPS (damage you do).

Stamina dragonknights are super fun. You don't have to use a staff with a dragonknight. You can use two daggers (dual wield) or a 2-handed weapon as a stamina character.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scaling means that your character (including gear) is scaled UP to CP160 ...
    agree.gif

Low level players and their gear are scaled up to the CP160 of the game world ...
    shades.gif
  • VisualDeadlock
    Ok, just to clarify. Lets say I hit level 50 and get CP 160. At that point I will be able to find or craft gear thats CP 200 ish? Or higher?

Like, if I am all geared out with level 50 CP 160 gear, is that good enough to do the CP 300 dungeons? And do the CP 300 dungeons drop CP 300 gear?
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, the CP gear cap is at CP160, that is the max level for gear. After that, CP is only good for spending CP points in the Champion System (to boost your stats).

When you hit level 50, you'll be CP10. Getting from CP10 to CP160 you'll feel a lot weaker than below 50 because level scaling is now off and your low level gear will have crappy stats.

Your goal should be to get to CP160 so you can collect (and use) gear that is at the gear cap ...
    shades.gif
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for all the newbie questions. Got some new ones, thanks again for any help!

1) Gear - I understand that with some expansion, they made ESO level scaled. So My level 11 toon is basically carrying the highest level weapon. I was browsing some guild trader guy and was looking for daggers. They were level 50 at cp 160 and did the same damage as my current equipped newbie daggers. Kind of a let down. IS there no gearing to look forward to apart from cosmetic items? Does it change at end game?

2) I sorta want to try a dragon knight, so I made one and skipping the tutorial he is level 3. But from I read (albeit not much), they are primarily staff users. I mean I know I can use any weapon for any class, so was thinking of going dual wield or 2 hander with him, but is that severely gimping him down the road for group content? I do not like caster classes in general.

2) you maybe already know that you will have to go either stamina or magicka (for every class) unless you are a tank (then you mainly focus on hp and a good balance between mag and stam).
    Ofc you could play anything you want to, but not everything is that effective.

Imo that's what you use weapons for:
    - destruction staff --> PvE (magicka DD, second bar for healer/tank), PvP (magicka dmg)
    - healing staff --> PvE (healer, but templar is a better choice), PvP (magicka survivability)
    - sword and shield --> PvE (tank), PvP (magicka dmg/survivability, stamina survivability)
    - 2h --> PvP (stamina dmg/survivability)
    - dualwield --> PvE (stamina DD), PvP (stamina dmg)
    - bow --> PvE (stamina DD), PvP (stamina dmg)
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU