The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Meta Gear Setup by Class

MalagenR
MalagenR
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey Everyone,

I only have time to play Sorc, so I really need to focus on that and don't have much time to research the types of gear set ups that other classes are using, can anyone help by providing some general information on what the most used stamina and magicka set-ups are for classes?

StamWarden
MagWarden
StamDK
MagDK
StamNB
MagNB
StamTemp
MagTemp

This would be greatly appreciated, doesn't need to be perfect but please give me your best knowledge on the 2 sets / jewelry glyphs / monster helm!

Thanks!

Mal
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka Templar meta is definitely Shacklebreaker/Amberplasm/Skoria in light armor, but there's definitely going to be a shift from Shackle over to bright-Throat.

It's not exactly what I run but it's a good solid setup
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka Templar meta is definitely Shacklebreaker/Amberplasm/Skoria in light armor, but there's definitely going to be a shift from Shackle over to bright-Throat.

That set up without pirates Skeleton gets eaten alive in light armor.
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP asked for what setups are already popular, not what build was your personal favorite (I personally don't run Valkyn)

While it would be fun to have a multiple page discussion on whether LA magplar requires defensive set to be effective, I would rather not derail a post that's meant to be about all classes.
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP asked for what setups are already popular, not what build was your personal favorite (I personally don't run Valkyn)

While it would be fun to have a multiple page discussion on whether LA magplar requires defensive set to be effective, I would rather not derail a post that's meant to be about all classes.

Not popular, Meta. Meta and popular to me are two different things. Popular are what potatoes wear while zerging, Meta is what allows for solo open world pvp and is more versatile in more situations, making it the meta. That's just how I define it, so technically Brutus is right -

I'm looking for what the better players are running to solo open world.
  • Stigant
    Stigant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dont know about other classes, but I'm pretty sure 2h+Bow StamBlades run Spriggan+Maul (frontbar)+master's bow(backbar), medium.
    The monster helm and second 5pc set varies based on personal preferences, but this is a good base for your burtsy hit and run (reset fight) playstyle.

Second 5pc could be Bone Pirate + Dubious drink or Shacklebreaker + Arateum golden special dish, Grim runs Ophidian Venom set to a great success, from what I 've seen in his videos.

Monster set varies: Troll King, Bloodspawn, Selene or Velidreth... all those can be very useful within this setup.

I myself run my variation of this build in NoCP Cyrodiil and BGs and it gives me the stats to 1vx and smallscale to certain extent pretty successfully, enough to keep me entertained and having fun with PvP most of the time.

So, you could call it a base meta for StamBlade?
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    how about meta sets:

literally any class/armor type:
    Shacklebreaker
    blood spawn

Damage set:
    Spriggan (stam)
    Spinner (magicka)

previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar imo is heavy shackle/overwhelming/skoria destro/snb
    Magnb I can't say yet, i don't like any setup I have tried this patch
    Edited by Datthaw on November 18, 2018 4:02PM
  • jediodyn_ESO
    jediodyn_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    People talk so much about sets, but forget to talk about potions, jewelry traits, and food. What potion you run is especially critical to ESO. It’s a dirty little secret that if you can afford to run gold food and burn through triple effects pots on cool down your chances of doing better in battlegrounds are hugely improved.

Also cp PvP vs non cp PvP are two related, but very different worlds. Is it any surprise that this game is a nightmare to “balance”?ZOS really needs three different sets of gear stats and ability effects. Most other successful MMO games eventually do this.

I’d love to see an ESO eSports league, it would bring life and money to the game, but they have so much redesign to do if they ever want to make it realistic.
  • thoughtseize
    thoughtseize
    ✭✭
    Probably not meta but I really like using sloads, zaan, and mad tinkerer for BGs on my magden. I always laugh when i see all the proc go off at once and zaan beams them while getting shot up in the air.
  • Fatalyis
    Fatalyis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    Magnb I can't say yet, i don't like any setup I have tried this patch

I threw together a Knight Slayer/ Elegant Heavy Attack build last night just for the lulz and it was a grand time in no-cp.
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welp sorry OP this thread just proves how hard it is to find information about the PvP meta in this game. The problem is that the number of people who actually do play at a really high level is rather small and they often enough don't bother with the forums. Stuff like this nowadays is all discussed in discords or ingame. Join some proper PvP guild and ask people there. If you are not being obnoxious people will usually gladly help out.

You also really want to specify whether you are looking for CP or non CP setups.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meta for magden is pretty much ice but to an extent. Like 20 running around across all platforms. In bgs right now I’m running winterborn, necro and troll king. Skoria if I want more damage but it’s not necessary.

The build dishes out a lot of aoe damage and pumps out a lot of off heals. I run corrupted pollen since it works well with all the snares and roots that comes with the build. With this build you can literally put out the most damage in heals most of the time. Only down side is the fact you have no execute.
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NupidStoob wrote: »
    Welp sorry OP this thread just proves how hard it is to find information about the PvP meta in this game. The problem is that the number of people who actually do play at a really high level is rather small and they often enough don't bother with the forums. Stuff like this nowadays is all discussed in discords or ingame. Join some proper PvP guild and ask people there. If you are not being obnoxious people will usually gladly help out.

You also really want to specify whether you are looking for CP or non CP setups.

because there is no meta, there are sets which perform better than others, but there are plenty of them and it comes down how you combine them and match it to your playstyle, there is no "HARD" Meta Build for every Stam/Mag Class.
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HaruKamui wrote: »
    how about meta sets:

Shacklebreaker
    blood spawn

Damage set:
    Spriggan (stam)
    Spinner (magicka)

I get what you're saying Atomix. Noted everyone.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meta is pretty much what gets posted by streamers, Alcast is a good player & knowledgeable, which is why I believe he can easily find things that work, post them & before you know it everyone is playing it either exactly or a slight variation.

An example would be:
    Magic nightblade - Zaan + Calurion
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MalagenR wrote: »
    how about meta sets:

Shacklebreaker
    blood spawn

Damage set:
    Spriggan (stam)
    Spinner (magicka)

I mean... generally you could craft shacklebreaker and slap it on each character you want to take to pvp its such a versatile set.
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATomiX96 wrote: »
    MalagenR wrote: »
    how about meta sets:

Shacklebreaker
    blood spawn

Damage set:
    Spriggan (stam)
    Spinner (magicka)

I mean... generally you could craft shacklebreaker and slap it on each character you want to take to pvp its such a versatile set.

It really does seem like everyone runs Shacklebreaker. I honestly don't like it that much. Right now I'm trying Lich + Overwhelming on Sorc. But, maybe I'll eventually have to go with Lich + Shacklebreaker + Bloodspawn like just about everyone else and their mother. Seems whack.
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATomiX96 wrote: »
    NupidStoob wrote: »

because there is no meta, there are sets which perform better than others, but there are plenty of them and it comes down how you combine them and match it to your playstyle, there is no "HARD" Meta Build for every Stam/Mag Class.

Yeah there is no hard meta, but there are definitely metas for different things you do in PvP. Ballgroups, smallscale, GvG, 1vX, BGs all have their own roles and metas. If you look at people who do this stuff at a high level and have lot's of experience you will see that many sets and builds will always appear again.

Shacklebreaker sure is a good all around set and while you sure can run it on pretty much anything, but many people simply opt not to because there are stronger alternatives for specific roles. Especially on stamina you rarely see it.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Meta for magden is pretty much ice but to an extent. Like 20 running around across all platforms. In bgs right now I’m running winterborn, necro and troll king. Skoria if I want more damage but it’s not necessary.

The build dishes out a lot of aoe damage and pumps out a lot of off heals. I run corrupted pollen since it works well with all the snares and roots that comes with the build. With this build you can literally put out the most damage in heals most of the time. Only down side is the fact you have no execute.

Ty for this. I keep overlooking corrupting pollen and focusing too much on perma frost or whatever it's called
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ty for this. I keep overlooking corrupting pollen and focusing too much on perma frost or whatever it's called

The ice ult ?

• Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    Meta is pretty much what gets posted by streamers, Alcast is a good player & knowledgeable, which is why I believe he can easily find things that work, post them & before you know it everyone is playing it either exactly or a slight variation.

An example would be:

If you say so....I am already excited about all those magsorcs running the armor master set^^.
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »

An example would be:

If you say so....I am already excited about all those magsorcs running the armor master set^^.

"Aha, look at my 40k armor and despair. Now quiver in fear as I hit you with my 1500 damage crystal frag"
  • Eclipse0990
    Eclipse0990
    ✭✭✭

An example would be:

"Aha, look at my 40k armor and despair. Now quiver in fear as I hit you with my 1500 damage crystal frag"

My MagDK with wings feels disappointed.
    Raid leader for Undead Nuns (DC-EU-KaalWhaterveritscallednowdays)
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm using Necropotence, Shacklebreaker, and Pirate Skeleton on my Magicka Warden, with 3x Protective traits on jewelry. Lots of people have commented on me being tanky, though it often doesn't really feel like I am :p. I've been using a Lightning Staff on the front bar with an Ice Staff on the back bar (for Wall of Frost), and overall I think it works decently well.

Anyway, building up fairly significant defense feels necessary for Magicka Warden to be successful. If you don't have a teammate in a good position to vine-pull yourself to, your mobility is practically non-existent, so you need to be able to take some hits. Using Necropotence and Shacklebreaker (with Spell Damage enchants on jewelry) still allows you to have some fairly solid damage, though your single target killing power really doesn't compare that well to Stam setups.
  • Trancestor
    Trancestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfected Asylum Frost Staff + Frost Blockade is definitely the meta for Magden, good thing most people cant get it :D
    For other sets Necropotence is a no brainer and a backbarable set like Lich. Skoria or Bloodspawn for monster helm.
  • Swomp23
    Swomp23
    ✭✭✭✭
    People talk so much about sets, but forget to talk about potions, jewelry traits, and food. What potion you run is especially critical to ESO. It’s a dirty little secret that if you can afford to run gold food and burn through triple effects pots on cool down your chances of doing better in battlegrounds are hugely improved.

Also cp PvP vs non cp PvP are two related, but very different worlds. Is it any surprise that this game is a nightmare to “balance”?ZOS really needs three different sets of gear stats and ability effects. Most other successful MMO games eventually do this.

I’d love to see an ESO eSports league, it would bring life and money to the game, but they have so much redesign to do if they ever want to make it realistic.

I agree so much about this esport thing, except their first step, before balance would be bug and lag fixes. That's why every good player left, as you can always adapt to imbalances.
    XBox One - NA
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

An example would be:

That's actually a pretty strong set for sorcs right now and it's one of the few viable open world sorc sets. Combine it with lich some tri stat pieces, shadowrend and a master staff and you have a pretty decent build.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not meta but magplar I run

Sloads, calurrians, skoria, all light loads of fun
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

An example would be:

I was telling people to run armor master when murkmire was on PTS before people started making it a thing. I’m saying this because I would like to know what’s wrong with it?
    IMO, you can use armor master w/5 seducer, lover mundus, sharpened staff, like ~50-60 points into penetration mundus (unless in no cp/bg’s), & go 3 infused spell damage glyphs & still have room for a monster set of your choice.
    Skoria with flame clench is a great option, or if you want more sustain 1domi +1recovery piece
    Want more defense, go with 1pirate & 1 chudan or lord warden.

Want to use amberplasm instead of seducer; that’s not a bad option.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg