The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Question about Crafting Motifs

Delta1038
Delta1038
✭✭✭
With the system now that lets you change appearance of gear for craftable stuff I noticed something. I have been making various little test builds over the past week and have used some of the normal racial crafting motif books that I found. I noticed that the crafting styles were available on all my characters not just the one I actually used the book on. Is that a new feature, and if so does it mean I can stop hoarding all the crafting pages and books I have saved in my bank?

I am not ready to play seriously again but I have like 50 pages or so for Dwemer, Daedric, Dremora, and some others I have collected along the way. I also have that golden book that will unlock all the Akaviri crafting stuff. I haven’t used any if them because I wanted to save them for when I had a character I was planning to be my main and properly play. But if unlocking crafting motifs are account wide now, then there is no need to save them anymore or am I missing something?
Xbox One NA
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting motifs are not unlocked account wide for crafting. In order to craft items with that motif, you have to learn the motif on the chaeacter you are crafting with. Motif knowledge also counts per character towards the Master Writ drop chance from max level writs.

Motifs are, however, unlocked account wide for the Outfit System. If you know a motif on any character, you can use it in the Outfit System to create outfits with that appearance.

So if you care about crafting, learn the motifs in any character you want to be able to craft.

If all you care about is the appearance in the outfit system, learn the motifs on whatever character you want and there's no point to duplicates.
  • Delta1038
    Delta1038
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, makes sense. Good to know. I care about being able to actually craft the stuff so I will hold onto my motifs until I make my main. Thanks!
    Xbox One NA
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an aside, the character someone plays the most often for questing, PvP, dungeons, and so on is frequently NOT their crafter because of the sheer quantity of skill points that will be eaten up being a crafter. That's not to say it isn't possible to have your crafter also be a character you play a lot for other content, but the quantity of skill points you need to accumulate to do this is significant. Don't underestimate it.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    As an aside, the character someone plays the most often for questing, PvP, dungeons, and so on is frequently NOT their crafter because of the sheer quantity of skill points that will be eaten up being a crafter. That's not to say it isn't possible to have your crafter also be a character you play a lot for other content, but the quantity of skill points you need to accumulate to do this is significant. Don't underestimate it.

Fair point, but the game now has over 400 available skill points ... so it gets easier to obtain skill points every major patch.

That said, you still have to put in the time to accumulate skill points.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on January 8, 2019 2:53AM
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    My Master Crafter is also a tanky PvE Templar.

It is only recently I noticed that he needed work to handle serious mobs.

Once you have got the 9 Traits mastered across the board, you get to recover the skill points needed to get you there.
    You do not need the multiple research & Time reductions any more.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Even if not planning on playing the character you would create to be your main, you might want to at least make it. Once made, I'd start the trait research immediately, along with deconning everything not ornate or in use by your alts to level the crafting skills. You don't have to have skill points to assign to level the skills.