Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

New Player solo class

NGoHT
NGoHT
Soul Shriven
Hey there guys!

I just bought the game recently (a week ago) and I instantly subbed as well, loving it!

My biggest dilemma and question is, what is the best solo class for both categorizes stam and mag. ?
I dont really like the sorcerers in ES games so thats out. I have a lvl 10 magblade but I wouldnt say I enjoy that either.

I want to to just casually solo for now both pve and pvp and dont really rely on groups, take my time and own pace etc.

Every input, idea is very welcome!
Thank you guys!
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6 months ago i would have said Mag Sorc but that ship has sailed.
    And since you don't like sorcs anyways, you could make a Dragon Knight brawler, in which case i'd go full stamina.

Or ride the wave and join the ocean of Stamb Blades, or ...
    popcorn.gif

Edited by SirAndy on November 9, 2018 11:27PM
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say, all of them are good for new players... with a caveat, though: at the start ANY stam builds have it difficult due to the lack of early self-heals.

If you can endure that, or if you enjoy pvp and want to spend an evening or two in Cyrodiil or doing BGs to unlock Vigor earlier, then you'd good with anything.

For magicka builds, most of them have some kind of self healing from the start... and ways to deal damage to multiple mobs around you, so they could seem "easier" to play initially... but at the end, it depends on your taste and what you enjoy doing in games.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar gets you pretty far, both magicka and stamina. They both have decent self-heals (stam templar repentance) and decent group utility, if you'd wanna go do dungeons or something eventually.

And Magplar heals from it's spammable(Sweeps), so it's really easy to just jab the paper-PvE-mobs/World bosses you see in the world. ^^

Also magblade / magdk is really strong in that regard. They're great solo PvEers cus of their built-in selfheals, and their damage / skills are pretty cool. Also, NB in PvP opens up a lot of options.

Stamina classes, if not stamplar, might have some slight issues with self-sustaining in both PvE & PvP, without Vigor(Alliance War/PvP unlockable skill, so you need to PvP to unlock it). . Except Stamina Warden(If you got Morrowind). Stamina warden just has healz for days.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • NGoHT
    NGoHT
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the fast reply guys!

So far with my limited knowledge, it seems like if you want to play magicka, you will end up playing with a staff doesnt matter what class. Do classes lose their identity that way or still more class abilities used compared to stamina builds?
    Kinda feels like if you go magicka, well you will use a staff 99.99% of the time. If you go stamina you can still go 2H, DW, Bow.
    Edited by NGoHT on November 9, 2018 11:43PM
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the same for stamina though, you have to use weapons skills and just a few class abilities.

Most classes have a pool of abilities to chose from and yeah, they are more choices for magicka morphs than for stamina morphs, generally speaking. So it makes sense to use weapon abilities for stamina in lieu of class abilities.

How much or how little you can say any class loses its identity due to using weapon abilities is up to personal taste and subjectivity, IMO.

Most builds (DPS) focus on one spammable and several DOTs and some buffs/debuffs skills and that's covered mostly drawing abilities from all sources... depending on class you'd use a spammable from the class and some DOTs would be on the weapon line, in other class that has no spammable, you'd need to take that from the weapon line and have some other abilities from the class instead.

That's the fun of ESO, figuring out what to use and how it all works together in the end :) Even if you look at someone else's build, be sure to pay attention and try to understand the Whys and the Hows, behind the reasons of why the build works.
    Edited by leeux on November 9, 2018 11:48PM

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGoHT wrote: »
    Thanks for the fast reply guys!

So far with my limited knowledge, it seems like if you want to play magicka, you will end up playing with a staff doesnt matter what class. Do classes lose their identity that way or still more class abilities used compared to stamina builds?
    Kinda feels like if you go magicka, well you will use a staff 99.99% of the time. If you go stamina you can still go 2H, DW, Bow.

Magicka builds tend to have more class-skills to play around with.. But in general for PvP: STamina builds are way superior to magicka builds, mostly due to their mobility.

Yeah, that's true. As magicka you mostly go a staff.. or you go sword & board if you want the tank-stats.. Or you go Dual wield(Swords gives you 3% more dmg or so, not quite sure about the number. Check the Twin Blade & Blunt Dual Wield passive). But that locks you out of using any destruction staff skills.. Which are really handy on any magicka build. Elemental Drain(Weakness to elements), Wall of Elements, Force shock(?(If you don't have another spammable you wanna use)... And the Reach/Clench as well, is a really good CC for PvP.

Stamina has a lot more freedom, but they don't have *that* many class skills, but they have quite a few. And with the recent patch, they got more.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • NGoHT
    NGoHT
    Soul Shriven
    Great posts guys, makes sense now!

After all that, I'm thinking of giving another shot to my lvl 10 magblade, maybe adding some 1h+shield flavor to it after 15 for fun. Not sure if that works though haha but seems like it cant go too bad vs harder content as a 2nd bar.
    NB might fit into the Dark Brotherhood theme too, loved them in skyrim.
    Edited by NGoHT on November 10, 2018 12:13AM
  • NGoHT
    NGoHT
    Soul Shriven
    Level 20. Realized I cant stand using staff and its spells so I guess stamina it is haha.
  • NGoHT
    NGoHT
    Soul Shriven
    Is argonian a good race to both solo pve and pvp as a stamblade? I want to do both although I really like the petite little woodelves too.
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah Argonians are in a really good position! They work either for stam or magicka, too... but they rely on mostly using potions all the time, due to how their race passive works.

They work great as tanks in PvE and in general in PvP due to their high sustain thanks to the potion's extra resource return.

My chars
    I only PvP on AD chars

• NGoHT
    NGoHT
    Soul Shriven
    Oh great thanks! This game has so many options haha and I love most of them, so hard to choose :'D
  • GaunterODim
    GaunterODim
    ✭✭✭✭
    If youre leaning towards woodelf anyway, Id rather do a woodelf than an argonian for a stamblade, its a good class for both pvp and pve. Maybe take a look through Alcasts stamina nightblade builds for pvp and pve and see what would be a good middle way to get yourself a direction to go to.
    Edited by GaunterODim on November 10, 2018 3:37PM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NGoHT wrote: »
    Is argonian a good race to both solo pve and pvp as a stamblade? I want to do both although I really like the petite little woodelves too.

If you want to make a stamblade, then Wood Elf or Khajit is perfect for stealth. Nightblade stealth great for thieving, of course, but it also lets you run around the landscape at 125% of normal speed while avoiding almost all fights. The downside is that to get the speed boost you use the Concealed Weapon morph and hence not the Surprise Attack morph, which weakens your options for endgame damage dealing.

Otherwise, I'd say the single most versatile race/class combo is Argonian Warden. It's great for healing or tanking. Warden is also the easiest class to level in a stamina spec, because you get a ranged stamina attack without carrying a bow and a stamina heal without going to PvP for Vigor. And while an Argonian Warden wouldn't exactly be ideal for endgame DPS at this time, it's more than good enough for soloing.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to be a solo stamblade, Khajiit is the most versatile race, being one of the best PvE stamina races(better than Bosmer) and tied with Bosmer for the PvP meta Stamblade race. Even for cliche things like Thieving, they are the best due to their pickpocket passive. Also their critical bonus synergies with Nightblade crit damage playstyle a lot and the 20% Health recovery is good for PvP tanking.
    Lv 20 is not even 1% into the game, so might as well, reroll for a better build in endgame.
    Edited by susmitds on November 10, 2018 4:00PM
  • NGoHT
    NGoHT
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks guys!

Yep I did reroll.
    Made a woodelf stamina NB (lvl 15 atm) and a redguard stamina dragonknight. I love both so far, stamina play style feels a lot more natural to me it turns out. Switching between them depending on my mood, taking my time enjoying the atmosphere and story.
    Edited by NGoHT on November 10, 2018 6:25PM
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've already got your nb and dk but I'm going to second the suggested warden class. It really does have everything a brand new player could want for soloing.
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it helps, at the beginning and lower levels the classes don’t realy show or feel good until you hit around 40+ if not 50 onwards once you level skill lines up to 50 and you get a feel for all the skills and see which you like best same said for weapons as it doesn’t come into play until level 50 of this skill lines but classes become better once you have a lot of cp to work with

Classes has there differences well it’s seems with each patch that those differences are disappearing but only you will know what you will end up liking

Stamina classes tend to use vigor and weapon skills the only one I would say has its own identity at the moment is a stamina warden dps as you would set up your front bar with most of the animal skills for the damage boost from passives and you would back bar some green and winter skills to help keep you buffed

But it does depend on what role you want to do dps heal tank but seen as you said for casual use I would recommend stamina wardens at the moment as they can have a dps bar 2h or dual and a tank bar s&b would get you through most content and let’s face it you can have a bear as your companion who doesn’t want their very own baloo

Magicka classes have a lot more use with class skills and the two staffs so they can sustain a lot better even though the shields took a big hit, they all have a way of self healing so you would have no issues staying alive in casual play

If you can look at races and pick a race that works with your role direction as it helps but not fully needed if your not interested in min max which I’m not one of those people

Armour will not come into play until you hit CP160 so don’t worry about that for now just research armour and weapons and level crafting as you go if you want to make use of crafted sets oh jewellery too

Hope this helps
    Edited by macsmooth on November 12, 2018 2:09PM
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, sorc's ward got decimated and DK's shield got worst as well, but you can still go solo with any class. You just need to slot the right skillsets and use effective rotations along with the right build/resistance, damage output and resource management. To me, there is really no "best." However, if you're looking for the most easily.. I still say a petsorc. I just soloed (inadvertently) the Arena in Gold Coast with my level 42. Ha ha. Practically the fight of my poor sorc's life, but I don't think I would be able to do that with any other toon, at that level.
  • NGoHT
    NGoHT
    Soul Shriven
    Lumenn wrote: »
    You've already got your nb and dk but I'm going to second the suggested warden class. It really does have everything a brand new player could want for soloing.

I think I tried every class now till lvl 10-15 haha. I know it's not the same as on higher level but... DK feels the best so far with the animations and all. But NB and warden is pretty close too. I think I will level all of them, this game just feels great if you dont rush (had enough of that in PoE and WoW).

Thank you for all the inputs guys, really appreciated!

One more question if I may, about the action bars. One bar is more for ranged/buff/debuff and the other is more for melee damage abilities (for melee oriented classes like when your main dmg is from 2H or dw)? At least thats how it feels "natural" to me atm.
  • Ramber
    Ramber
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamplars are really great right now, their spammable is an aoe i cant suggest it enough. I parse 42k dps on it too.