Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Carpal Tunnel and Maelstrom Arena?

Minyassa
Minyassa
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Basically my question is...should I, or will it destroy what's left of my wrists? I don't know how terrible it really is, I keep hearing conflicting reports. Does it demand frantic button-mashing and millions of rapid keysmashes like dodge-rolling or can I take it with nice calculated precision skill pokes and be okay? Anyone else with carpal tunnel do this thing and can report how much health damage it does to the player?
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I have carpal tunnel syndrome, but sometimes my wrist and finger joints do hurt from too much playing. If you don't want to suffer you can also do a pretty slow, relaxed rotation, by weaving heavy attacks instead of quick, light ones. That would also help a lot with sustain, which is important if you're not that experienced in the arena. Lightning staff & 2H weapons will have AoE damage from heavy attacks; 2H also has Follow Up passives which buffs the next skill cast after a heavy attack. This can be done on virtually any class, but DK is well suited to it since it has bonus damage from Molten Armaments on top of it. Another option used to be pet magicka Sorcerer, but with shields capped at 40% HP (50% for Hardened Ward morph) it's a bit harder now.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suffer horrible strain if I play ESO too long, mostly it's when I am focused on light attack weave rotation environment like DLC dungeons or trials.

As said above there are builds which can help make it easier and less of a clickfest, as well as mice which are designed to put less stain on your wrists.

Also don't push yourself if it hurts, video games are not worth long term injuries.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one she is restricted in what she may do. Anything that requires intense use of the paws for a period of time is not possible.

This one does not worry though and just gets on with the other things she can do and she does enjoy.

A little frustrating though yes when more and more new adventurers in Tamriel seem to be focussed in that sort of direction - many more new dungeons than new zones.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
    Options
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont have a history of RMS, but it makes my hand hurt after about half an hour. Then again, I’m not one of these guys that just goes in naked and kills it all with light attacks. Someone with such experience would probably say it doesn’t hurt them at all. Because they probably don’t move much. Since I’ve never got past the poison plant level on normal mode, I’m frantically moving all over the place and my hand muscles start to hurt. Unlike the rest of the game. I’m 36 years old for reference. No history of RMS injury and I use a pc all day at work. And all night at home. My two cents.
    Edited by qbit on November 8, 2018 12:52PM
    Options
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good thing about vMA (assuming you're trying to do veteran for the weapons) is that you don't have to do it in one sitting. You can do a few rounds, hop off, come back and do a few more, etc... The only thing to keep in mind is that when you come back you'll restart at Wave 1. So if you got to Round 3, Wave 3 and decided to take a break, then when you come back you'll be at Round 3, Wave 1.
    Options
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a controller? Maybe it's because I am too use to a controller, and my hands/arms not use to a keyboard, but I feel less strain on my wrists when playing especially long sessions. So I recommend a controller if you can handle that. Not sure is your Carpel Tunnel will allow you use of a controller.

Even typing this I can feel the strain in my wrists. I don't when playing with a controller. Again, not sure if it's muscle memory or not. Best of luck.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
    Options
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all, that's very helpful. I am looking into a gaming mouse and in the meantime I might poke around in there in an exploratory fashion and try some of the build suggestions.
    Options
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have Carpal's in both wrists and cannot use the keyboard and mouse (mostly the mouse) for very long. Therefore, I use a controller and with the controller have no issues with the Carpal's. VMA is a PITA and there is no way I could do it with the K & M. I have done it with the controller, though.

I might add that I don't use the controller at a desk. I play on my laptop in the livingroom, sitting in a comfy chair with my hands resting in my lap so my wrists are supported.
    Edited by Hippie4927 on November 9, 2018 6:59AM
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
    Options
  • Ciovala
    Ciovala
    ✭✭✭
    If you use a heavy attack magicka build it will help a lot in my experience.
    Looking for a mature and helpful social guild - play PvE, PvP, and like crafting.
    Options
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some carpel related problems. I have been running normal MA and stop after finishing an area or two. I can then pickup where I left off when I'm feeling up to running it again.
    Options
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maelstrom is a lot of quick reflexes and button-mashing, unfortunately. You can do the first couple of arenas in Maelstrom, and see if your wrists can take it, and bow out if it's too much for you. (There are a total of nine arenas, with several parts/rounds to each one.)

Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    I suffer horrible strain if I play ESO too long, mostly it's when I am focused on light attack weave rotation environment like DLC dungeons or trials.

As said above there are builds which can help make it easier and less of a clickfest, as well as mice which are designed to put less stain on your wrists.

Also don't push yourself if it hurts, video games are not worth long term injuries.

This. As well as your progress is saved. If you feel a little strain just take a break and return to it later.

Also, once you have cleared it, it becomes easier to clear it a second time. Practice and becoming aware of what is spawning next and how to approach it makes it easier, hence, less strain.

Good luck.
    Options
  • jluchau
    jluchau
    ✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    Basically my question is...should I, or will it destroy what's left of my wrists? I don't know how terrible it really is, I keep hearing conflicting reports. Does it demand frantic button-mashing and millions of rapid keysmashes like dodge-rolling or can I take it with nice calculated precision skill pokes and be okay? Anyone else with carpal tunnel do this thing and can report how much health damage it does to the player?

I worked pretty heavily on vMA last year. So much so that I broke my laptops keyboard and had to have it replaced... yes... button mashing...

I also have carpal tunnel, I had the release surgery about 3 months ago. I'm not sure if vMA aggravated or added to it lol, but who knows.

I never finished vMA I am currently on the very last zone. My laptop is fixed and I'm just waiting a little longer for my hand to feel stronger post surgery before I jump into it. I really do want to finish it.

Josh
    Options