The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is passive dodge gone?

• maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I did see it and I think it's when a projectile is sent and the target moves beyond range while it's in the air

If there is any doubt, I usually just let it go. But these are instances where the enemy is well within range.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Meridia's to me. It starts with a blocked attack and "dodging" lasts for ~5 seconds per your screenshot.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Meridia’s says “missed” instead of “dodged” though doesn’t it?
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarousse wrote: »
    Nope. This set gives the miss message, not dodge. And I doubt that many people wear it. Especially stamblades and light Armor users.

Well what would be the message in combat log then "the target missed Your damage" ? It's You who is missing not the target so from Your perspective and from coombat log perspective he may dodge Your attacks by blinding You. Same can go for cloak misses.
    Edited by Juhasow on May 16, 2019 12:35AM
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    Meridia’s says “missed” instead of “dodged” though doesn’t it?

Someone else said that as well. So...I don't know. The original post is from some time ago. But I've noticed it on my templar when using Reflective light and Javelin. Had the same player dodge 3-4 javelins in a row just last night.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »
    I don't want anyone to misinterpret this post. I'm just looking for answers. I thought with Murkmire that passive dodging was removed. But I am still seeing some players dodging my spells, without actively dodge rolling. Any clues as to how this is happening?

D9bmyKO.jpg

Judging on the block right before enemy started to dodge all Your attacks it may be blessed of meridia set. Yes many people points out that meridia provides "miss" flytext but combat metrics needs to write it down from Your perspective so there couldnt be message that enemie missed Your attacks and to writr it down properly combat metrics creator would've to create new phrasing just for that plus made add on to know the difference between dodge and miss. It's way simplier to just make a phrase "enemy dodged Your attack taking no damage". The main question is though do You see "dodge dodge" flytext or "miss miss" flytext when those dodges You're talking about happens ?
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL I just noticed this is thread from 2018 :joy: Necromany at its finest.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    The main question is though do You see "dodge dodge" flytext or "miss miss" flytext when those dodges You're talking about happens ?

I'm seeing the "dodge dodge" flytext. I remembered someone saying that Meridia says "miss" so I wouldn't be posting here again if it said "miss." It is 100% dodge messages.

• maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I am the original OP of this thread. Rather than create a new one, I used this. Sorry if it looks like a Necro. But the fact remains that some players are still dodging attacks when they shouldn't be. And I cannot be the only one experiencing it. But who knows? Maybe it's just me. Just hoping others might chime in on their experiences.
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can't be Meridia in that screenshot, because he does land an attack within the 5s window after block - which shouldn't be possible against said set.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @maxjapank

It occurs to me as well sometimes, most notably on Crushing Shock and Endless Fury. I didn’t bother to investigate further though because I fully expect that it’s either buggy code or cheating.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See it a lot on magicka based ranged skills.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel like it’s connected to the sprint meta where they’re so far from the position they were at when the spell was launched that the game counts it as a dodge in that scenario. Either that or they’re using the long jump exploit.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I
    Kartalin wrote: »
    I feel like it’s connected to the sprint meta where they’re so far from the position they were at when the spell was launched that the game counts it as a dodge in that scenario. Either that or they’re using the long jump exploit.

This is also true, you can outrange an already out projectile by literally outrunning it and the game registers it as a dodge.
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often roll dodge into streak and the dodge animation isn't there, but I don't see skills that could do it on Templar...
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering how much zos' infrastructure is at play here too. Sotha last night I dodged some attacks well past any dodge rolling. Nothing like what OP posted though. Had a couple folks do the dodge animation against me too but like I said, chalking it up to awesome servers.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you this is happening on PS4 as well.
    Came around a rock to see a player coming at me.
    Opened with a light attack/poison injection, because I was on my back bar and the sudden appearance startled me.

He was just standing there, doing nothing but running in my direction and dodged both attacks.

Never saw anything like that, even when passive dodge was a thing.
    Edited by Kel on May 17, 2019 3:04AM
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am the original OP of this thread. Rather than create a new one, I used this. Sorry if it looks like a Necro. But the fact remains that some players are still dodging attacks when they shouldn't be. And I cannot be the only one experiencing it. But who knows? Maybe it's just me. Just hoping others might chime in on their experiences.

This was from the patch notes:

Minor/Major Evasion: These buffs no longer grant a passive chance to dodge. They now reduce the damage you take from area of effect attacks by 5/25%. All abilities that previously granted Minor or Major Evasion have been converted to this new effect, and the Blade Cloak ability now grants Major Evasion.
    Developer Comment:
    Spoiler
    This change affects the abilities Blur, Evasion, Deceptive Predator, Gossamer, Grace of Gloom, Adept Rider, Hist Bark, and Spectre’s Eye. As noted above, we spent time fixing issues with dodge, with the goal of making sure that you only dodge abilities/projectiles when you are actually actively dodging. Passive dodge goes against that, so we removed it from the game.

They never removed the passive dodge from baseline combat, only from skills/spells that give evasion. Every character still had a chance to passively dodge while in combat.
    Edited by LegacyDM on May 20, 2019 7:32AM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LegacyDM wrote: »
    They never removed the passive dodge from baseline combat, only from skills/spells that give evasion. Every character still had a chance to passively dodge while in combat.

I've heard people think that this might be the case. But I've never heard a definitive answer that players do, indeed, have a chance to passively dodge. Is this written anywhere?

• Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only set in the game that still offers "passive" dodge chance is Glorious Defender, but proc chance is quite low on that set..
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard people think that this might be the case. But I've never heard a definitive answer that players do, indeed, have a chance to passively dodge. Is this written anywhere?

Shortly after the patch was released I noticed in my combat log that I was passively dodging. I don’t run any unusual sets. Or sets that provide miss chances. I also noticed that people were still randomly dodging my force pulse. I was confused as you until I went back and reread the patch notes.

Read the patch notes carefully. The devs only refer to skills that were providing evasion. The devs never stated they were removing dodging from baseline combat completely.

It was never written anywhere. It’s jyst the way the game works. Baseline combat has always provided an rng chance to dodge.
    Edited by LegacyDM on May 20, 2019 7:49AM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Shortly after the patch was released I noticed in my combat log that I was passively dodging. I don’t run any unusual sets. Or sets that provide miss chances. I also noticed that people were still randomly dodging my force pulse. I was confused as you until I went back and reread the patch notes.

Read the patch notes carefully. The devs only refer to skills that were providing evasion. The devs never stated they were removing dodging from baseline combat completely.

It was never written anywhere. It’s jyst the way the game works. Baseline combat has always provided an rng chance to dodge.

I appreciate the answer. And yes, I understood about the patch notes only meaning changing all skills and sets from dodging to aoe reduction. I just never knew about this "baseline combat providing an rng chance to dodge." And that is something I would like for the Devs to confirm.

I mean I would very like to take your word at it. But it would save a lot of confusion knowing that this "rng chance to dodge" is in the game if they would say that.
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate the answer. And yes, I understood about the patch notes only meaning changing all skills and sets from dodging to aoe reduction. I just never knew about this "baseline combat providing an rng chance to dodge." And that is something I would like for the Devs to confirm.

I mean I would very like to take your word at it. But it would save a lot of confusion knowing that this "rng chance to dodge" is in the game if they would say that.

No worries I understand. But it something you can easily test yourself. Download a combat logger and you can see how many times you yourself just randomly dodge in combat. The evidence is there.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
  • Gorrest
    Gorrest
    ✭✭✭
    To add even more onto the piece of the pie. Here is a clip of a passive dodge.

1.No dodge roll
    2.Chains would of pulled him out of a dodge roll
    3.Not glorious defender because the light attack got dodged
    4. Dont even think about Blessed, that would be shown as "Missed" and even then the chain pulled him so at the time of the light attack whip, he wasnt blocking(Also keep in mind my standard, embers, and engulfing DoTs were still hitting him which Blessed would negate. Also my Inhale hit him as you can see my magicka increased by around 350 at the time of the burst)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVBDOf1zS60
    Edited by Gorrest on May 29, 2019 8:48PM
    -PvP Characters-

AD Mag DK, Mc Flabben
    AD Mag Templar, Gorrest
    AD Mag Sorc, Edrene Kingsley
    AD MagWarden, Mc Woflen
    EP Stam Sorc, Elder Procs Online
    DC Stam DK, One Shot Online
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three years later, I have the same question. It looks like it was never answered by a developer or clarified in any patch notes.

Can we please have a developer respond to provide clarity on PASSIVE DODGE?

Like others mentioned, it seems to happen more on ranged spells, and seems to be associated with lag.

Thank you!
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caribou77 wrote: »
    Three years later, I have the same question. It looks like it was never answered by a developer or clarified in any patch notes.

Can we please have a developer respond to provide clarity on PASSIVE DODGE?

Like others mentioned, it seems to happen more on ranged spells, and seems to be associated with lag.

Thank you!

From what I have seen, passive dodging is still in the game either by cheat, bug, or some other method not explained. I saw it quite often yesterday when the servers were not lagging and a guy was holding block. He dodged a meteor and "dodged" daedric mines even when he stepped on them. Of course he also never died either :D
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does meridia dodge aoes and mines? Honest question here.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »
    Does meridia dodge aoes and mines? Honest question here.

AoE is not dodged by Meridia's Blessed set. Streak, Ice Comet, and Werewolf fear still interrupt relic pickups even with the auto dodge active. Haunting Curse will also hit through auto dodge.

It's the same mechanic that allows Fire Ring (Impulse morph) to hit Stam Sorcs and Nightblades through their dodge and is often a better execute than Endless Fury.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on June 1, 2022 10:53PM
    PC NA