The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

New player class/race pvp

Bynr
Bynr
Soul Shriven
Hi! I need some help to find the best class and race for me. As far as I know its important to have the right race in this game, right? In other mmos i like to play a stealth class if there is one, otherwise i like to play a warrior class. I will mostly focus on pvp in endgame. Do you have some sugestions on what class and race I might want to play in ESO? All sugestions are wellcome!

Thank you in advance :)
Edited by Bynr on November 3, 2018 9:42PM
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be a Dark Elf Mohawk.
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For a stealth gameplay style, nightblade would be best. For stamina, bosmer in pvp is my preference. For magicka, argonian, dunmer, or breton are usually picked.
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblades are the only class that can realistically stealth mid-fight, though anyone can stealth outside of combat and ambush people (which is fairly rare in BGs).

If you're looking for something that isn't a Nightblade, some other Stamina-based setup is probably your best bet for an offensive role. Stamina builds been generally superior to Magicka in BGs since the system was put into the game ~17 months ago, with a niche exception for Magicka Sorcerers that are good at killstealing in Deathmatches. 'Course, if the other team(s) realize what you're doing on the Sorc and start to focus you, survivability becomes a real problem (especially nowadays, what with so many Torug's + Infused weapon builds with Oblivion enchants).

Orcs are probably the best overall PvP race for Stam, and pretty much any Stam class can be quite strong. Stamina Templars, Wardens, and Sorcerers are probably at the top right now (which is "better" varies by situation). That said, DK is also really solid, and pretty much a straight hard counter to many Magicka builds. Stam Nightblade can do some really obscene burst damage, and stealth is situationally amazing, but it tends to be less durable for prolonged team fights, and some setups can counter stealth really well (like Stam Sorcs).

ZOS could easily make huge swings to balance at any moment, but Stam has been top dog in smaller scale fights for a very long time, and I haven't seen any indication of that changing for the foreseeable future.

PS
    I'm not saying that Magicka builds are "garbage" or anything, and if you're looking to play a healer they're really your only option. Offensive Magicka builds are most certainly playable right now, but the more organized and focused a team becomes, the larger the gap between Stam and Magicka gets (in Stam's favor).
  • Bynr
    Bynr
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you for some solid advise! I have been checked out all sugestions and i think Nightblade might be up my alley but if it is as you say that they "tends to be less durable for prolonged team fights" I might want to try out stam Dragon Knight for starters. That's the only other class that seems to tickle my interest.

So if im going for a Dragon Knight what race do I want to be if my focus is PvP? Still a Orc ore is there a spesific good race for stamina Dragon Knight in PvP?
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bynr wrote: »
    Thank you for some solid advise! I have been checked out all sugestions and i think Nightblade might be up my alley but if it is as you say that they "tends to be less durable for prolonged team fights" I might want to try out stam Dragon Knight for starters. That's the only other class that seems to tickle my interest.

So if im going for a Dragon Knight what race do I want to be if my focus is PvP? Still a Orc ore is there a spesific good race for stamina Dragon Knight in PvP?
    There might be some heavy armor Stamina Nightblade builds out there that can hang in prolonged fights, but almost all of the ones that I see have huge burst damage but are very squishy if you get can get ahold of them (which is sometimes easier said than done; my Magicka Warden has no good counters for stealth, but some other setups do). The typical Nightblade will make hit and run attacks, spamming some dodge rolls + stealth if they start taking heat. Some others are set up as archers and can do pretty ridiculous burst damage (I ate a singular ~13k snipe a week or two ago), but they're also quite squishy if someone focuses them. Not that being squishy is an excuse for being able to do that kind of damage, but that's a different topic.

Stamina DKs have sometimes been maligned, but they're not a bad class at all. The damage is there (as it is for every Stamina class), and proper use of reflects and dodge rolls can really hard counter a lot of Magicka builds. It does lack the self cleansing ability of Stamina Templar, doesn't have the same burst or heals of Stamina Warden, or the same mobility as Stamina Sorcerer, but they're generally relatively durable, and are supposedly one of the best dueling/1v1 classes. Also, if you decide that you want to do some PvE, Stamina DKs are the clear cut #1 tank in the game, so you could eventually gear up and tank trials without getting sneered at over your class choice. If you just wanted to do 4 man content, you can throw together a basic tanking set on anything and have a queue time of approximately 0 seconds.

When it comes to race, I'd personally say that Orc is the overall best for Stam builds in PvP. That's not to say that all the others are useless, if you like the looks or lore of something else better. But the extra weapon damage + sprint speed/cost reduction is especially nice. And if you want to craft your own gear with that character, Orcs also get a bonus to inspiration (crafting exp) gain.
  • moosegod
    moosegod
    ✭✭✭
    I think nightblade would be best for you. It can be built as the medium armour stealth/rogue class and if you ever get bored of that it can be rebuilt as a heavy armour brawler to fit the warrior theme you mentioned.