The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is Shrouded Daggers the most underrated DW AOE ability?

ImmortalCX
ImmortalCX
✭✭✭✭✭
I don't see this in any build guides, but I have great success with this skill. In addition to (or replacement of) Whirling Blades/Steel Tornado.

While this skill may not propel any DPS parses over the top, the great thing about it is that it allows you to maintain a high degree of front bar DPS, without having to stand in the fire! This is great during high mobility boss fights with adds. Also, it does not impede your movement speed like WB/ST. Whirling Blades allows to damage 3+ mobs, but they have to be stacked and this is less likely during boss fights.

While it doesn't have any execute funtionality, it can be spammed and gives Major Brutality (!) which is 20% damage increase. The only other source of this buff is from a DK Molten Weapons.

I have been using this skill for a long time and hesitate to remove it from my bar. I increasingly use it as my spammable in boss fights with adds.

What are your opinions on this skill? I never hear it mentioned or listed in build guides.

• magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most people use potions for major brutality. there is a ton of ways to get it, and the standard assumption everyone has it active all the time. im guessing you are a stamina dk since you mentioned molten weapons.

but i do use shrouded daggers when im not in a trial or any serious content as to not waste money on pots. so really for dungeons or maelstrom when im not going for score.

EDIT: point is, its a good skill but everyone is getting MB from other sources so its not worth the skill slot, thats why you dont see it in build videos because they are showing what to run in IDEAL raid/pvp situations. not just pugging something casual
    Edited by magictucktuck on October 31, 2018 5:02PM
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's basically the spammable of my Stam Sorc for anything not purely single target.

Its much cheaper than Steel Tornado and from 100% to 20% it does more damage.

It's definitely a good skill.
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EDIT: point is, its a good skill but everyone is getting MB from other sources so its not worth the skill slot, thats why you dont see it in build videos because they are showing what to run in IDEAL raid/pvp situations. not just pugging something casual
    That makes sense, but even when potting, I find myself spamming it during boss fights with adds.

It certainly is the ultimate skill for trash as most people aren't going to pot for that.

• Greysson
    Greysson
    ✭✭✭✭
    The builds, if from Alcast, Fearturbo or anyone else like them, are optimized for endgame content with pots, group buffs/debuffs and stuff.
    Its the "you will get 0,1% more dps if you use skill x" thing.
    Shrouded daggers is really good.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a great skill. It wont beat Crushing Weapon ST, and it wont beat Steel Tornado for AOE, but it is a good mix. It also gives some range and some cleave for trash fights that have high priority targets. For example, I love it in the gauntlets in VMOL where certain adds still need to be focused. It is still my go to spam skill for my stam sorc in PVE. I dont like it as much in PVP, because I think Steel Tornado is better most of the time if for no other reason than the execute bonus.
  • vyrzeden
    vyrzeden
    ✭✭✭
    It's my spam skill on my stamblade as well, those bounces are awesome.
  • PromiscuousNun
    I love it. It's my main spam-thing on my StamSorc ;)

Awesome for solo/questing/vMA/trashpacks/beingLazy/dungeons. The Major Brutality is a detail, as I use pots, but it's helpfull if you don't :P (Stamsorc has even surge for that). Any other class, not so sure about using it...

Yes, crushing weapon and steel tornado are better in their specific roles, BUT those daggers do it all ;)
    This is a perfect example of a skill that is not OP, but not bad at all aswell!
    Btw, i like the animation ALOT more as crushing and Tornado. and it's second BiS anyway.

Enjoy your Daggers! So do I ;)

PC -EU
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only problem is it hits just 3 targets max.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

and many trash mobs in solo pve exist in exactly 3 per group.
  • tunepunk
    tunepunk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a good skill, but I tend to prefer silver shards lately instead of this one. I think Silver shards does slightly more damage to the first target. Somewhere in between Crushing weapon and Shrouded Daggers. It deals a decent amount of AOE as well, and hit's more targets than Shrouded. And Nice with a little bit extra % weapon damage from Fighters Guild passive.

The only downside of Silver shards is that it does not trigger weapon enchants, but if you weave in light attacks or other skills, they will trigger often enough anyway.

But I agree, Shrouded Daggers is pretty good spammable, and nice with some AOE damage as well.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tunepunk wrote: »
    It's a good skill, but I tend to prefer silver shards lately instead of this one. I think Silver shards does slightly more damage to the first target. Somewhere in between Crushing weapon and Shrouded Daggers. It deals a decent amount of AOE as well, and hit's more targets than Shrouded. And Nice with a little bit extra % weapon damage from Fighters Guild passive.

The only downside of Silver shards is that it does not trigger weapon enchants, but if you weave in light attacks or other skills, they will trigger often enough anyway.

But I agree, Shrouded Daggers is pretty good spammable, and nice with some AOE damage as well.

Silver Shards is OK, but it costs 300-400 more stamina per cast, and the AoE portion does 50% less damage than the initial, while Shrouded does increased damage on the 2nd and 3rd target (20% more and 40% more) and it's 8m instead of 5m which is a huge difference.

My preference would be Shrouded but I can see the use of Silver on undead/daedra as well as the bonus 3% WD that slotting it gives you.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you want a spammable with an aoe component built in, this works very well. I use it on my stam sorc where I just don't have bar space for steel tornado and another spammable all the time or on my stam DK for similar reasons. It may not be the best at any given role, but fills multiple roles which makes it great sometimes... and that's more than a lot of other abilities can brag about.
  • Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would that proc both enchants on the dual wield bar? Could deal some nasty damage to a small PVP group.

*asking in relation to all the buzz with enchantment changes*
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    raj72616a wrote: »

who does a 3 enemy trash mob without pulling another one into it?Such a waste.
  • getemshauna
    getemshauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For pledges seems ok, but steel tornado clears groups way more effective and for pure single target Rending Slashes seems much better in terms of sustain, damage and utility.
    Founder of Call of the Undaunted
    Youtube Channel
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    raj72616a wrote: »

who does a 3 enemy trash mob without pulling another one into it?Such a waste.

in overland pve and delves, those 3 trash mob packs die within 2 seconds.
    i've never beem tempted to pull them together.