The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Inconvenient Master Writs

ArchMikem
ArchMikem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Just got a 48 voucher writ. It wants a purple, not gold staff. Sweet. But it has to be Hlaalu. I dont know that. So after shopping through Alinor, Vivec, and finally Rawlkha i buy the page for 22k. Learned it, now to the bench. Hist Bark, easy. 160 Staff, but oh, no style gems. Guess its one of my Mimic Stones. Almost there. Has to be Nirnhoned. I have 8 out of 9 traits researched for the Resto Staff. None are Nirnhoned. I have Nirn researched on all the other staves, except the Resto.

...this thing is gonna be sitting in my quest log for a month if i don't fork the cash for some timer scrolls.
CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When not having all the traits it makes sense to double check. I have all the traits, but always double check the style before consuming one just to make sure.

Of course you have this figured out by now.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear you BUT Always check them before you open them. Actually 48 isn't bad amount for purple id say.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    When not having all the traits it makes sense to double check. I have all the traits, but always double check the style before consuming one just to make sure.

Of course you have this figured out by now.

I just bought all the weapons needed to finish researching my Woodworking traits, because of this. Gonna have to do the same for clothing and blacksmithing as ive been slow to start this. May even cave and buy some scrolls after payday this week.
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had 5 master crafting writs active at one point, only to find out I couldn't do a single one of them after accepting them. They blocked me from accepting the ones that I could do for over a month. Was when I just started crafting and doing writs.. You only make these kinds of mistakes once. :sweat_smile:
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nirnhoned, epic, woodworking master writs are actually one of my favorite ones to do. Probably the best return on vouchers per gold out there with the exception of maybe the legendary prismatic glyphs.

I've gotten frustrated before and ended up trashing a master writ that I accepted prematurely before checking my ability to do it and not wanting to go through the hassle/cost of acquiring the required motif chapter.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you play on PC/Mac check out WritWorthy. It will tell you if you have the needed motif and/or traits researched. You can also queue your master writs for crafting (sealed writs in your bag, craft everything, then go stand in front of the turn-in npc and accept and turn in all your master writs)
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I second using WritWorthy, if you're on PC. I'm also glad I know all the motifs, and my main crafter is full 9-trait, so I don't have to worry about it. But, yes, check before you accept the master writ. I have one (for provisioning) that's been sitting on an alt for over a year, because he doesn't know the recipe, and I accidentally accepted it.

Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP seems to be on console, judging by the signature. honestly, after losing a very VERY good master writ, back when they came out because I accepted it long before I could actualy do that. with or without addons, i ALWAYS check what they ask for. having a writ sit in my bank is much better than having it sit in my log (even as a master crafter I still check, becasue sometimes those writs are for newest motifs that still take me some time to complete)
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least you can buy the motif for a reasonable price in most cases.

What is really inconvenient is a jewlery crafting writ for @250 vouchers that will take at least 6 months to get the mats for or spend 350K + to buy them, in which case there is no point.
    Edited by Katahdin on October 31, 2018 7:09PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a "master writ" being attempted by a less than master crafter.

Yes, in this situation it was inconvenient, but in an ideal situation, it would take less than 30 seconds.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a "master writ" being attempted by a less than master crafter.

Yes, in this situation it was inconvenient, but in an ideal situation, it would take less than 30 seconds.

An above average crafter.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I sell my purple master writs... can't be f'd doing them.

I also know 57 motif styles to completion and still have master writs that I cannot complete :(
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Just got a 48 voucher writ. It wants a purple, not gold staff. Sweet. But it has to be Hlaalu. I dont know that. So after shopping through Alinor, Vivec, and finally Rawlkha i buy the page for 22k. Learned it, now to the bench. Hist Bark, easy. 160 Staff, but oh, no style gems. Guess its one of my Mimic Stones. Almost there. Has to be Nirnhoned. I have 8 out of 9 traits researched for the Resto Staff. None are Nirnhoned. I have Nirn researched on all the other staves, except the Resto.

...this thing is gonna be sitting in my quest log for a month if i don't fork the cash for some timer scrolls.

it starts this way. You use Tamriel Trade Centre (google it) to find the specific page you want. Eventually your collection grows. I have 47 complete motifs so far. Ypu can always sell in guild trader and buy one you can do. 500g/vouvher reward is a good rule of thumb
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Granted, a message on the writ description stating if you can craft it would be a good QoL addition, and probably not too hard to implement.

I'm really sorry for you, anyway .. distraction can mess you up real good :/
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Master Writs were really only a hassle before I was an actual Master Crafter. Now that I know all traits and styles, it's a simple matter of saving up a bunch, and then knocking them all out at the same time. Given that I'm currently sitting on roughly 11K Writ Vouchers, I'd say that they aren't hard to do!
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to also say writ-worthy is amazing for this sort of thing. I tend to save all my writs until I have 30+ and knock them out that way, and writ-worthy has been a godsend in this respect.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So the obvious question is why you would start the quest before checking to make sure you had everything you needed and that it was actually worth the effort involved. That staff in nirnhoned isnt worth it, imo. And it is definitely not worth all the effort you have to go through.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So the obvious question is why you would start the quest before checking to make sure you had everything you needed and that it was actually worth the effort involved. That staff in nirnhoned isnt worth it, imo. And it is definitely not worth all the effort you have to go through.

Agreed. Sell that one and move on. Nirnhoned is never worth crafting
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nirnhoned armor makes for excellent master writs!
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nirnhoned is totally worth it ... if you’re like me and have extra transmute stones from the 30-day PvP campaign rewards. ;)
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the game generates the writ based on what you DON'T know whether its the trait or the motif. I've almost go every trait researched and the new ones I get are almost always for the few traits I don't have yet. It's annoying but keeps me busy lol.