The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why is my mail being returned?

LadySinflower
LadySinflower
✭✭✭✭✭
I play on Xbox One NA. My SO also plays on the same console but under a different gamertag. I have tried to help him by sending him small items like a couple of alchemy or provisioning ingredients through mail attachments. I've tried several times and none of these things have gotten to him. They keep being returned to me. I received attached clothing ingredients from another player a few days ago so I know I can receive attachments. Why can't I send them? We both subscribe to ESO Plus and of course pay for Xbox Live Gold. I'm at level 25 and he is 21. I am using his gamertag in the "to" field. I thought I would see if I was doing something wrong before submitting a ticket. Thanks in advance for all insight.

Best Answer

• LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is for anyone who may find this thread later. We've managed to solve the problem, and the problem wasn't me. I was only trying to send things to one person. Finally he went into his mail and tried to contract someone in a guild he's in - only to get the error "you can't communicate with other players." Some research led us to the privacy settings on his Xbox live account where it was set to only allow communication with friends. This affected ESO. So when I was trying to send him mail, his account was rejecting the mail. We set the privacy from "custom" to "adult" and did some testing. We are now able to send mail and attachments back and forth. I hope this helps someone in the future. Thanks to everyone who responded.
    Answer ✓
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to add to the above that I started a guild with just the two of us in it, but that turned out to be a useless gesture. It says we must have ten guild members to use the bank feature. I don't know eight other players and we wanted this to exchange things just between the two of us. Not other people. I thought mail attachments would be the way to go but it isn't working. I'm only trying to help him. There has to be a way for us to exchange stuff without bringing other people into the mix.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, make sure his mail is not full. My guess is it is not, but it is the first thing. Second, make sure your are using the appropriate name when sending it.

You can also try trading it with him directly. Both characters need to be next to each other.

But yes, a guild requires enough members to unlock the bank, and keep it unlocked.

Good luck.
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @idk.idk57_ESO

His mail is not full. It is empty. We've verified several times that I am spelling his GT correctly. Am I supposed to put the @ sign in front of the GT or format it why special way?
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can't trade directly because we can't both be online at the same time. We live together and have one Xbox. We don't have a friend whose house we could go over to for both of us to be on at the same time. We have actually talked about getting another console so we can play together but that's expensive. 😖😃
  • sdtlc
    sdtlc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe try uisng a charactername instead of gamertag, if the recipient isn't know the game states that the player is unknown. Do the returned ones have a red writing that says returned or sumething on it?

Edit: You also get a notification, when the players inbox is full.
    Edited by sdtlc on October 31, 2018 7:05AM
    Die Qualität verhält sich nicht zwingend proportional zur Masse...

Meisterangler vor dem perfekten Rogen...
    +Kaiserstadt, Wrothgar, Hew's Fluch, Goldküste, Vvardenfell, Stadt der Uhrwerke, Sommersend, Artaeum, Trübmoor, Elsweyr (nördliches & südliches), Graumoor, Reik, Dunkelforst

[PC][DC]Zunft der Helden[PvX]
    Feierabendgilde mit Ambitionen
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try what sdtlc suggested. It could be a name thing. I have not heard of normal mail being returned like this.

It is odd. I am assuming you are not in a guild with others or you would have asked them to see if they can send mail to your SO. That would be my next suggestion.

GL
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the returned items have red writing in the subject line that says returned. I guess I could join a guild and ask someone to try to send him mail with attachments. Thank you.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add him as a friend on xbox & send mail directly from friends list.

e.g. click on his gamertag & select 'send mail'.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sparr0w thank you.

That would seem like common sense wouldn't it? I have not tried that but I will. I appreciate the suggestion. :)
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the returned items have red writing in the subject line that says returned. I guess I could join a guild and ask someone to try to send him mail with attachments. Thank you.

That is weird. A good idea is always to put a 1 gold COD on the mail. Apparently, when there is gold requested it bumps the priority of the mail in their system. Also, this will allow you to know for sure when someone does accept your mail as you'll get the 1 gold returned in a mail message.
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New development. I added him as a friend and tried to send mail through the social menu. I also sent one COD item. He didn't receive any of them. I'm ready to submit a ticket I think. Thanks for all your help.
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    speaking of mail, it is quite annoying to have to log out or rezone after buying stuff from guild store or getting items sent to you and this is something you have to do once you have looked into ur mail already while in that zone
    at a place nobody knows
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you guys both on the same server dumb question but it happened not to long ago to a buddy who started a new charater he made a charater on the EU server instead of NA he was so mad he got to like level 30 also make sure hes showing online it shouldn't be a problem

if you guys are in the same guild just open your in game menu go to social click on guilds go to the guild your both in go to roster click on his name and small side menu should appear you'll see options to whisper, travel to player etc with the d pad you can scroll down and click on send mail and it will auto fill his name the rest is pretty simple and then send when done.

also there is small postage fee I think when sending stuff so make sure you have some gold in your inventory

you might need to travel to another zone or relog in order to get the items as it can take anywhere from 2 seconds to 30 minutes for the mail to appear
    Edited by RebornV3x on November 1, 2018 12:03AM
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is what I was going to say. Are you both on the same servers. I had this problem with my daughter. Someone asked if we were on the same server. I checked and yup I am on NA and she was on Europe.

Also if you are playing on the same Xbox, only one of you need Xbox live. Wasting money if both paying for it on the same Xbox unless you both want the free games. Not sure if you knew that or not.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RebornV3x wrote: »
    are you guys both on the same server dumb question but it happened not to long ago to a buddy who started a new charater he made a charater on the EU server instead of NA he was so mad he got to like level 30 also make sure hes showing online it shouldn't be a problem

if you guys are in the same guild just open your in game menu go to social click on guilds go to the guild your both in go to roster click on his name and small side menu should appear you'll see options to whisper, travel to player etc with the d pad you can scroll down and click on send mail and it will auto fill his name the rest is pretty simple and then send when done.

also there is small postage fee I think when sending stuff so make sure you have some gold in your inventory

you might need to travel to another zone or relog in order to get the items as it can take anywhere from 2 seconds to 30 minutes for the mail to appear

Thank you for responding. We are both on the Xbox NA server. We made sure. We have joined one guild and I tried sending the mail through the guild roster with the same results. Returned mail. He is playing now and has changed zones several times since logging in. He hasn't received my mail. I have submitted a ticket to support so hopefully they can get to the bottom of it. This is super frustrating. We can't play together so we thought this would be a way to help each other. And something is blocking or attempts to do that. :/
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    That is what I was going to say. Are you both on the same servers. I had this problem with my daughter. Someone asked if we were on the same server. I checked and yup I am on NA and she was on Europe.

Also if you are playing on the same Xbox, only one of you need Xbox live. Wasting money if both paying for it on the same Xbox unless you both want the free games. Not sure if you knew that or not.

Thank you for your advice. Yes we realize that we only need to pay for one Xbox live membership per console. I wish the elder scrolls games thought like that. We each have to pay separately for ESO Plus. There's no family account available. Not only that, but we bought the gold edition of ESO Tamriel Unlimited with all the DLC and free mount, etc. I made my account first and got all the extras. Then he made a character and did not get them. I submitted a ticket and was told that only one player gets the gold edition benefits. I think that's pretty crappy. We paid extra for the gold edition and they are telling me I have to pay again for every other ESO player who uses my gold edition copy of the game on my console, for them to have the gold edition benefits. They are incredibly cheap and greedy in that way.

Sorry for the rant. Thanks again for your help.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for your advice. Yes we realize that we only need to pay for one Xbox live membership per console. I wish the elder scrolls games thought like that. We each have to pay separately for ESO Plus. There's no family account available. Not only that, but we bought the gold edition of ESO Tamriel Unlimited with all the DLC and free mount, etc. I made my account first and got all the extras. Then he made a character and did not get them. I submitted a ticket and was told that only one player gets the gold edition benefits. I think that's pretty crappy. We paid extra for the gold edition and they are telling me I have to pay again for every other ESO player who uses my gold edition copy of the game on my console, for them to have the gold edition benefits. They are incredibly cheap and greedy in that way.

Not sure why a company is "cheap and greedy" if they want every individual who wants the benefits of their game to have to purchase the game to get the benefits. Once upon a time, a former co-worker would pester me to borrow my games "to see if I would like it" and would get annoyed because I wouldn't let her. I finally told her I wouldn't let her "borrow" anything because I knew she would copy the games; pirate them, basically. She said that because *I* paid for the game, it was perfectly fine for her to get a copy "free". Why consoles should allow it, I really don't understand.

• Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh you are talking about the Gold Edition of ESO. Sorry I thought you were talking about Xbox Live Gold. Sorry I misunderstood. Yeah it really sucks. I had to buy Morrowind twice, once for her and then for me. One of the reasons why I never got Summerset yet on Xbox. Since I also play on PC I didn't want to pay three times for it. Twice I can understand, but really freaking sucks to buying it twice.

How funny eh? If Microsoft did what they wanted to do, we would never had to buy twice and can share with our family but people complained about being "always online" and yet here we are always online and not be able to share with our family. Playstation really hood winked people there. How many of the PS4s are always online?

Sorry for my rant. I know how you feel, it can be really upsetting.

If you like send me something garbage to my gamer tag. HsojVvad on Xbox. Let me see if I get it. Or let me send you something garbage to see if you get it.

An idea just came to me. I doubt it will work, but when your Xbox is on, touch the power button for 10 seconds so it shuts off that way. Then unplug the Xbox for about two minutes. Do the same for your modem and router. Then plug them all back in and start it up again and see what happens.

Yes I know I am throwing dung to see what sticks, but who knows, it can just maybe help. Good luck.

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »

Not sure why a company is "cheap and greedy" if they want every individual who wants the benefits of their game to have to purchase the game to get the benefits. Once upon a time, a former co-worker would pester me to borrow my games "to see if I would like it" and would get annoyed because I wouldn't let her. I finally told her I wouldn't let her "borrow" anything because I knew she would copy the games; pirate them, basically. She said that because *I* paid for the game, it was perfectly fine for her to get a copy "free". Why consoles should allow it, I really don't understand.

I feel that they are cheap and greedy because we are two people in the same family playing the same copy of the game on one console, and they want us to essentially pay for a second copy of the game for the second person in my family to have the extra benefits of the game we paid extra for. We have skyrim special edition which includes all DLC, but they aren't limiting the DLC to one person on the console while making the second pay again for the DLC. I don't want to be able to loan the game to friends and have them pirate my copy. I just believe that everyone in my family playing my copy of the gold edition on my console should get all the benefits of the game that we paid extra for. Other games allow everyone in the family to play the same edition of the game on the same console. It would also be nice if ESO Plus had a family option where two or more people with the same address playing on the same console could pay a family rate instead of everyone having to pay full price for an individual membership. What if Xbox made everyone with a separate gamertag pay for an individual membership to Xbox live instead of letting the console share the account? Could you imagine having five kids and having to fork out $60 per year per kid and per parent who plays on the console? That's what it feels like to me making everyone pay separately for ESO Plus and for my spouse not tio get the same DLC as I do even though we purchased and paid extra for the gold edition of the game. if you believe I'm wrong, I guess we have to agree to disagree.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    Why consoles should allow it, I really don't understand.

Consoles are actually the real master race? Consoles realize people have families? Why shouldn't we be able to share?

So I take it, we shouldn't share our movies or music now?