The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Swapping weapons - DoTs

preevious
preevious
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello, everyone..

In another thread, a fellow player told me something interresting .. but since his approach was empirical, he wasn't sure.
Since it might do a difference in certain buildI figured I'd ask.

Let's say I use volatile familiar's pulse ability (DoT).
Then, I swap weapons .. on my ohter skill bar, I have both inner light and bound aegis slotted, wich will give me a fait bit more magicka.
Will the already placed dots increase in power, or was their strenght determined on cast?

Thanks !

• getemshauna
    getemshauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ground dots' damage (Elemental Blockade, Twisting Path, Caltrops, etc.) is updated by every tick of your stats and damage modifiers, but single target dots(Poison Injection, Venemous Claw, Cripple) copy your stats from the moment you casted it and deals certain, unchangeable anymore damage over full duration.
    Founder of Call of the Undaunted
    Youtube Channel
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ground dots' damage (Elemental Blockade, Twisting Path, Caltrops, etc.) is updated by every tick of your stats and damage modifiers, but single target dots(Poison Injection, Venemous Claw, Cripple) copy your stats from the moment you casted it and deals certain, unchangeable anymore damage over full duration.

I thought they fixed single target dots awhile back to update with weapon swapping too.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, that's perfect, thanks !
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought they broke single target dots awhile back to update with weapon swapping too.

Not pre-murkmire. And I don't think they changed it in murkmire either.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I thought they fixed single target dots awhile back to update with weapon swapping too.

Nope, poison inject is the only single-target DoT that updates stats every tick. This change was made during Morrowind to enable its execute behaviour to function properly.

Aside from this exception,
    single target DoTs save your stats (max resource and wep/spell damage) from the moment of impact, while ground-based AoE DoTs update per-tick.

Crit % change and CHD modifier is always updated in both cases.

Penetration is always saved upon impact in both cases.

EDIT: Please ignore all the struck-through text—it was outdated info as some posters below pointed-out. I've since retested these mechanics and my results are in a subsequent post further down.
    Edited by TheYKcid on November 11, 2018 1:55PM
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about Charged trait? Does it need to be on the bar you cast Blockade from or should it be on your main bar?
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • GaunterODim
    GaunterODim
    ✭✭✭✭
    One thing that does increase the damage is having the weapon you swap to be a sword. If you have for example 2 axes dw on your backbar, cast rending and then swap to a greatsword, the damage would increase.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about Charged trait? Does it need to be on the bar you cast Blockade from or should it be on your main bar?

Charged does not carry over. The only trait that does is infused, one of the reasons it is so powerful.
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheYKcid wrote: »

Nope, poison inject is the only single-target DoT that updates stats every tick. This change was made during Morrowind to enable its execute behaviour to function properly.

Aside from this exception, single target DoTs save your stats (max resource and wep/spell damage) from the moment of impact, while ground-based AoE DoTs update per-tick.

They actually stealth fixed PI, maybe it was in wolfhunter? It was in the patch where they fixed it from consuming vMA buff. It now works like all ST dots, saving the stats from the bar it was fired from.
  • GaunterODim
    GaunterODim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Back in the day sharpened carried over too, has that changed?
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kanar wrote: »
    TheYKcid wrote: »

Aside from this exception, single target DoTs save your stats (max resource and wep/spell damage) from the moment of impact, while ground-based AoE DoTs update per-tick.

They actually stealth fixed PI, maybe it was in wolfhunter? It was in the patch where they fixed it from consuming vMA buff. It now works like all ST dots, saving the stats from the bar it was fired from.

can confirm this, would like to have official stuff say this.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Kanar @Lightspeedflashb14_ESO Thanks for pointing this out. I just re-tested the old info I posted and realised I was wrong.

You guys were correct—PI now saves stats from the impact bar—although the old workaround of doing a swapcancel to your mainbar before the projectile hits is still valid (since your mainbar becomes the impact bar)

Interestingly (and another point on which I was outdated), ZOS has also made a general change to the interaction of penetration with DoTs/barswaps. Both sticky AND ground-based DoTs now update on each tick (previously neither did), and this applies to both personal penetration (tested with Spriggan's & Sharpened trait) as well as penetration debuffs (tested with major frac).

I have no idea when they slipped this in either—possibly the same time they patched PI? Would appreciate any info.

CHD modifier remains unchanged, and updates per tick like it used to. I haven't tested crit chance, but for now I'm willing to assume it's tied to CHD and hasn't changed either.

I wish ZOS would mention tweaks like this in the patch notes. They're pretty groundbreaking from a mechanics standpoint...
    Edited by TheYKcid on November 11, 2018 1:56PM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do pulsing AoE DoTs like Lightning Form, Volatile Familiar, Deadly Cloak, Solar Barrage et al. work like ground-based DoTs or single-target ones?

And do HoTs work like DoTs?
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @FrancisCrawford

PBAoEs behave like ground-based DoTs. Just tested with Boundless and Bladecloak.

HoTs worked like DoTs in previous patches, following the same distinctions between sticky vs. ground-based. I'm not planning to test if that's changed, but go ahead if you're interested. I'd be keen to find out.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more question for the experts, if you don't mind:

Since Infused on the back bar "sticks" to the ground dot even after you bar swap to a non-infused front bar, does this mean you can back-bar Torug's Pact? Does Torug's stick to the ground dot even if you swap to a front bar that doesn't have the Torug's five piece bonus?
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • twofaced
    twofaced
    ✭✭✭
    One more question for the experts, if you don't mind:

Since Infused on the back bar "sticks" to the ground dot even after you bar swap to a non-infused front bar, does this mean you can back-bar Torug's Pact? Does Torug's stick to the ground dot even if you swap to a front bar that doesn't have the Torug's five piece bonus?

nope, I tested it