Maintenance for the week of February 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 18
• Xbox One: EU megaserver for maintenance – February 20, 4:00AM EST (9:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
The Wrathstone DLC Game Pack and Update 21 base game patch are now available to test on the PTS! Read the full patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/454456/

What is the meaning of "generation"?

myskyrim26
myskyrim26
✭✭✭✭✭
Here's a text from loading screen: Nine generations ago, the island of Betony was conquered by the Seamount Orcs, who renamed it Betnikh.
The only meaning I know is a group of people who live in the same time. But here, it means time.
So, what is a generation? English is not my native, so I checked some dictionaries. Here's what I found:
- 10 years according to https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=generation
- 25-30 years according to https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/generation
Please, help me to clear this out!

Edit: some hint is in a dialogue: When we conquered the islands hundreds of years ago...
Edited by myskyrim26 on October 26, 2018 7:14PM
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has to do with people having kids, and those kids having kids. So think of everyone around the same age as you (say within 10 years either way) as one generation. Your parents were the previous generation. Your grandparents were the generation before that. For humans, a generation can be considered around a 20-30 year span because that's the age when most people have kids.

So the loading screen means that the island was conquered when the current inhabitants' great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparents were around.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer
    Linnea Heavy-Pockets - EP Nord Templar brawler
    Lollygags-Where-She-Likes - EP Argonian Templar healer
    Gurtha gra-Margaz - DC Orc Sorcerer stormflailer
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    PC NA
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ilsabet is correct. Generations are people of the same age, and can only really be used precisely to talk about families, but it can also be used as an approximate measure of time if someone doesn't know or has no other way of measuring when something happened. For example I could say World War II was 3 generations ago - on the basis that I wasn't alive and my parents weren't alive but my grandparents were.

In fantasy it's potentially even more vague because it depends on the species you're talking about. An altmer generation would be much longer than a human generation.
    PC EU player. | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    25-30 is a lot closer to what's meant than 10 years, imo...

Of course, there are a lot of different races in Tamriel--do they all have the same lifecycle? Is this Altmer generations, or Nord generations?
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every person in a family line is a generation. If its nine generations from now, then its talking about something that happened to our great great great great great great grandparents.
    CP1,000+ Master Explorer - AvA Tribune - Console Peasant
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just there and thinking about every 25-30 years if they had kids, so about 200+ years since the Orcs took control of Betnikh.
    "Best" healer PC/NA
    My characters
    Khajiits
    Ta'asi -- Stamplar
    Ta'joeri -- Tankden
    Ta'varri -- Stamblade
    Ta'rahbi -- Stamsorc
    Ta'ezri -- StamDK

Bretons
    Ysrett -- Healplar
    Cheyren -- Healden
    Alleyo -- Healblade
    Myreszs -- Healsorc
    Jyvekk -- HealDK
  • Kalik_Gold
    Kalik_Gold
    ✭✭✭
    1 family lineage.

Parent to child = Generation. Can range from 13 years to 45 years depends on the family (some parents have kids young).

In the game Elves can go over 100 years without children.

Example - Grandfather > Father > Son - 3 generations
    Ras Kalik | Redguard - Templar (Vestige)
    Juks | Redguard - Nightblade (Damage)
    Kaotik Von Dae'mon | Redguard - Sorcerer (Healer)
    Goliath of Hammerfell | Redguard - Dragonknight (Tank)
    ================ 50 / 655+ CP ===============
    Cacique Yokuda | Redguard - Warden*
    Cinan Tharn | Imperial - Dragonknight*
    Tyrus Septim | Imperial - Sorcerer*
    Herzog Zwei the Genesis | Argonian Xivkyn - Templar*
    ================== Leveling* =================
    DCAD EP
    PS4/NA • PSN: Kalik_aka_Tavis
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all!