The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Can Someone Explain Why The Damage Shield Changes Matter?

Elusiin
Elusiin
✭✭✭✭✭
15k health -> 20k with battle spirit...
Shields limited to 50% of health, so 10k dmg shields...
Shield tooltip cut by 50% with battle spirit...

Therefore, you would need a 20k tooltip on your damage shield, without battle spirit, in order to be able to hit the cap with battle spirit... I don't know how anyone could get enough magicka for a damage shield that strong. If anything this is a buff to damage shields, as now they stack with major defense buffs right?

I'm only asking because maybe I've never had a damage shield that great as a magicka user. If it's possible to easily exceed that, what sets are meta for magicka users?
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Therefore, you would need a 20k tooltip on your damage shield, without battle spirit, in order to be able to hit the cap with battle spirit... I don't know how anyone could get enough magicka for a damage shield that strong. If anything this is a buff to damage shields, as now they stack with major defense buffs right?

I'm only asking because maybe I've never had a damage shield that great as a magicka user. If it's possible to easily exceed that, what sets are meta for magicka users?

They changed how Battle spirit affects shields, its calculated before now.
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cp Sorcs shield stacking most would about 15k to 20k shields could be higher if stacking max mag for a shield stacking sorc. Then for magden and magblade who could earlier reach almost 50k max mag if using dampen mag morph would be getting about 10k to 15k
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• xericdx
    xericdx
    ✭✭✭
    LeHarrt91 wrote: »

They changed how Battle spirit affects shields, its calculated before now.

Shields were wrongly affected by Battle Spirit pre-cap before during a previous PTS patch but it was a mistake and they fixed it. I haven't tested it but it should be like the first post said, thus in "favour" of "stronger" shield.

Also, shield stacking not affected.

The main change is that shields are affected by resistance and can be crit'ed.
    Characters
    Primo Aldouine (MagSorc), AD
    Kro'zuc Primo (StamDK), AD
    Primo Leyla, MagDK, DC
    Primo Salazar (MagPlar), AD
    Leyla Softpawn (StamBade), AD
    Shaz Primo (MagBlade), AD
    Marcus Primo (MagDen), EP
    Elonthor Primo (StamDen), AD
    The Red, MagNecro, AD

You like housing?! We have the place for you: Tamriel Homes Guild! Contact me for info (in-game ID @xericdx) or visit our website https://tamrielhomes.com/
    PC EU
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are two real impacts from a sorc PVP perspective.

1. It stops max-magica/low health builds being useful
    I've had builds before with 55k+ magika and only 16k health (using max mag/mag recov drinks). These have a 15k hardened ward - which is obviously a lot more than half health (8k).
    Now Its not worth having over around 40k mag without also pumping up health (which obviously limits what you can put into mag)

2. The biggest change, which you didn't mention at all is crits affecting shields.
    It means that sorcs have to include a significant amount of both crit resist and armour resists into their build to make shields last long enough to be worth casting. This means giving up stats elsewhere - ie less sustain AND less damage. So imho, it's overall a huge nerf to damage for most PVP sorcs. It also hugely limits what you can build into health/magika

Another impact for anyone not relying on shields as a primary defence - and already using high resists/impen is that the myriad of smaller shields will be stronger on these setups.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its crits making the already paper shields even more paper in open world.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Raraaku
    Raraaku
    ✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't give you reasoning from PvP perspective. But any time a player goes from being able to be cast a shield and absorb at least a single one-shot mechanic, perhaps even 2, to having their shield being barely able to sustain one such mechanic can be understandable frustrating.

Basically, this change did 2 things for Sorcerer and Nightblade ranged magicka DPS players:

1) The skill floor for both of those specs has dropped by quite a bit. Messing up can, and will, have much more severe consequences for those players as they no longer have the ability to recover and shrug off a mistake as if it didn't happen. So now the classes are have to be played more carefully and deliberately.

2) Having a good healer in group content is now much more important. I personally view this as a good thing for Healers since a big pain point among the healer community is that they don't feel as though they are needed within group content, due to the ability of magicka DPS players having such a potent defensive tool with spell shields.

People will adjust over time, this cycle of uproar happens every update when things are changed.
    Back from a much needed break. || I like having too many projects and working on them all at once.

Tank Enthusiast || CP: 445 || Stormproof

Tanks
    Karsaak gro-Ursa: DC || Orc || Stamina Dragonknight || Tank || Level: CP 445
    Sir Leopold Stotch: DC || Breton || Magicka Templar || Tank || Level: 445
    Protects-Squishy-Ones: EP || Argonian || Magicka Sorcerer || Tank/CC || Level: CP 445
    Björn Shadow-Walker: EP || Nord || Stamina Nightblade || Tank || Level: 15
    Tiberius Valerion: AD || Imperial || Stamina Warden || Tank || Level: 15

Damage Dealers
    Morrigan Ravyn-Cloak: AD || Altmer || Magicka Nightblade || DPS || Level: CP 445
    Ra'Zahkara: AD || Khajiit || Stamina Dragonknight || DPS || Level: CP 445
    Ezra al-Khazir: DC || Redguard || Stamina Templar || DPS || Level: 40
    Erryndril Telvaux: EP || Dunmer || Magicka Dragonknight || DPS || Level: 25
    Uzara gra-Khalari: DC || Orc || Stamina Nightblade || DPS [2H/DW] || Level: 15
    Solomon Motierre: DC || Breton || Magicka Sorcerer || DPS || Level: 20
    Ragnar the Wulf: EP || Nord || Stamina Warden || DPS || Level: 30
    Ra'Rahku: AD || Khajiit || Stamina Nightblade || DPS [Bow/Bow] || Level: 15

Healers
    Sees-through-Hist: EP || Argonian || Magicka Warden || Healer/CC || CP 445
    Daedalus the Artificer: AD || Altmer || Magicka Templar || Healer || Level: 15
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I took my standard sorc build into PVP last night. My shield size was roughly the same. I moved all points out of bastion, and my hardened ward hit the cap and my harness magic was just a hair under it. I used all the points I typically put in bastion and put them into other trees (lots of crit resist). I also made room for boundless (had to drop Dark Conversion). This gave me crit resist of about 2500 (4 pieces of impen, will likely need to go more), and about 18k resistances (again, will probably need to figure out how to get more). Why?

My shields f'ing melted. They were a joke compared to what they used to do.

Pre-patch, my shields were typically enough to survive most 1v1 encounters. They were questionable in 2v1, but usually I could get away. At 3v1, it was a run for you life scenario.

On Live, stam players were dropping my shields 1v1 as fast as I could reapply them. 2v1 put you into about a 4 second shield spam that ended in death. 3v1 and your character just falls over.

TLDR: Even though the numbers are still the same, shields are far weaker than they were a week ago.

Disclaimer: Lag was so f'ing bad in Cyro last night, that admittedly, it'difficult to evaulate things as effectively as I would have liked to. I was also trying to evaluate the new overload. Weaving was near impossible, and because you would often have to spam your ult 2-3 times to get it to activate/deactivate, it became very difficult to control. I would often cast it, nothing would happen, I would cast it again, then it would toggle on off, you would lose two globals, and be right back where you started.
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam builds are going to shred thru shield so much now with bleeds crit against them now
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I took my standard sorc build into PVP last night. My shield size was roughly the same. I moved all points out of bastion, and my hardened ward hit the cap and my harness magic was just a hair under it. I used all the points I typically put in bastion and put them into other trees (lots of crit resist). I also made room for boundless (had to drop Dark Conversion). This gave me crit resist of about 2500 (4 pieces of impen, will likely need to go more), and about 18k resistances (again, will probably need to figure out how to get more). Why?

Pre-patch, my shields were typically enough to survive most 1v1 encounters. They were questionable in 2v1, but usually I could get away. At 3v1, it was a run for you life scenario.

On Live, stam players were dropping my shields 1v1 as fast as I could reapply them. 2v1 put you into about a 4 second shield spam that ended in death. 3v1 and your character just falls over.

TLDR: Even though the numbers are still the same, shields are far weaker than they were a week ago.

Disclaimer: Lag was so f'ing bad in Cyro last night, that admittedly, it'difficult to evaulate things as effectively as I would have liked to. I was also trying to evaluate the new overload. Weaving was near impossible, and because you would often have to spam your ult 2-3 times to get it to activate/deactivate, it became very difficult to control. I would often cast it, nothing would happen, I would cast it again, then it would toggle on off, you would lose two globals, and be right back where you started.

So did a quick calc. A night blade with 5000 wd 38k stam, and 4000 pen has an incap tooltip of about 19k. With 80% crit damage against your physical and crit resistances then you should take 14% more damage with a crit and 24% less damage against a non crit compared to premurkmire. This is a rough estimate if the interaction now. Bleeds are just stronger though, so there is that.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So did a quick calc. A night blade with 5000 wd 38k stam, and 4000 pen has an incap tooltip of about 19k. With 80% crit damage against your physical and crit resistances then you should take 14% more damage with a crit and 24% less damage against a non crit compared to premurkmire. This is a rough estimate if the interaction now. Bleeds are just stronger though, so there is that.

@BlackMadara
    What stamblade runs with 4k pen? That is an absurdly low number, especially considering your spammable gives you major fracture, not to mention, a decent chunk of them are running spriggans...
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's *** utter BS that NB get a tooltip ultimate that can hit for 19k... That is so absurd. It's instant cast from melee range so hard to doge / block - how the hell are we supposed to survive any competent player?
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭

@BlackMadara
    What stamblade runs with 4k pen? That is an absurdly low number, especially considering your spammable gives you major fracture, not to mention, a decent chunk of them are running spriggans...

Good point, I was considering the general combo of ambush, incap. And the build I referenced is clever alch, bone pirate. With fracture debuff, crit is 24% more damage, and non crit is 14% less damage. If a sNB is running spriggans and a weapon damage set, they are a really squishy all in one ganker. They are probably going to attck you with shields down anyway, now or premurk you are dead.

The point is, you are weaker against crits, stronger against non crits. Like everyone else.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

@BlackMadara

Good point, I was considering the general combo of ambush, incap. And the build I referenced is clever alch, bone pirate. With fracture debuff, crit is 24% more damage, and non crit is 14% less damage. If a sNB is running spriggans and a weapon damage set, they are a really squishy all in one ganker. They are probably going to attck you with shields down anyway, now or premurk you are dead.

The point is, you are weaker against crits, stronger against non crits. Like everyone else.

Sharpened weapon, my friend. This is now, once again, the best trait. Well, unless you run an infused enchantment build, it seems. Can't say, haven't tested.
    But Sharpened outperforms Nirn by a long shot now. With 5k from Fracture, 4k from the plenty CP we have, and 3k from Sharpened, you have fully penetrated a light user's 10k physical, plus almost half of the Major Resolve buff.
    Keeping up the buff for 4-5% mitigation is a rough deal if you're not a Nightblade. And on the other side, wasting 3-4% damage on overpenetration against an opponent NOT keeping up the buff is not much of a sacrifice.

Spriggan's isn't even needed. But if you do run it, you can put more penetration CP points into other damage stars (Shattering Blows), potentially becoming very nasty. I would conclude (cautiously, as I haven't tested yet), that light armor shield users did take a noticeable hit, crit and non-crit received. It's just very easy and efficient to build for damage now. The interesting choice between Sharpened and Nirn is gone. But we already know from Crystal Frags, that whenever ZOS want to diversify build choices, like Frags vs Blast, they utterly destroy one choice instead and create a new meta. Thanks, Eric, btw, have been enjoying my last year of Master Flame Reach meta...
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The shield nerf affected PvE much more than PvP. The main change in PvE is we can crit shields but also resistance comes into play first.
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    we run so much heal in our army, we don´t use shields in Cyro-war.

and my magicka users in PVE don´t used it at all, so I have no problems
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

@BlackMadara

Sharpened weapon, my friend. This is now, once again, the best trait. Well, unless you run an infused enchantment build, it seems. Can't say, haven't tested.
    But Sharpened outperforms Nirn by a long shot now. With 5k from Fracture, 4k from the plenty CP we have, and 3k from Sharpened, you have fully penetrated a light user's 10k physical, plus almost half of the Major Resolve buff.
    Keeping up the buff for 4-5% mitigation is a rough deal if you're not a Nightblade. And on the other side, wasting 3-4% damage on overpenetration against an opponent NOT keeping up the buff is not much of a sacrifice.

Spriggan's isn't even needed. But if you do run it, you can put more penetration CP points into other damage stars (Shattering Blows), potentially becoming very nasty. I would conclude (cautiously, as I haven't tested yet), that light armor shield users did take a noticeable hit, crit and non-crit received. It's just very easy and efficient to build for damage now. The interesting choice between Sharpened and Nirn is gone. But we already know from Crystal Frags, that whenever ZOS want to diversify build choices, like Frags vs Blast, they utterly destroy one choice instead and create a new meta. Thanks, Eric, btw, have been enjoying my last year of Master Flame Reach meta...

Not able to atm, I'll actually run the numbers later, but there is a tradeoff. Nirn gives more healing on that bar, and most of the time the dps increase (for pvp) isnt significant. Dont have a specific comparison for sharpened vs nirn, but I do for BSW (630 SD proc) vs spinner (5% spell pen).

On average, bsw proc allows 4% more damage than spinners for my build. No proc then spinners adds 4% more damage (same spell damage with no proc and slightly more max mag due to willpower front bar staff utilizing the utility of having a proc set back bar).

That's on average. Vs a build with 29k spell resist, BSW with proc is 2% more damage, and spinners is 5% more damage without the proc. Due to the nature of pen (flat percentage increase in damage) it is better vs heavier armored targets. Bsw proc also adds about 800 more healing to power lash HoT. Trade offs are there, depending on playstyle, goal, and opponent.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MalagenR wrote: »
    It's *** utter BS that NB get a tooltip ultimate that can hit for 19k... That is so absurd. It's instant cast from melee range so hard to doge / block - how the hell are we supposed to survive any competent player?
    @MalagenR The NB will have to give up everything to touch those stats. Zero sustain, zero mitigation, raw damage gank build. These builds can kill any non-tank in matter of seconds, but die to the slight touch. 12k-15k is the usual tooltip.
    The real NB burst is the bow proc, which can hit 20k fully buffed in reasonable builds. I know particular magblade gank build with 32k bow tooltip.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

@BlackMadara

Not able to atm, I'll actually run the numbers later, but there is a tradeoff. Nirn gives more healing on that bar, and most of the time the dps increase (for pvp) isnt significant. Dont have a specific comparison for sharpened vs nirn, but I do for BSW (630 SD proc) vs spinner (5% spell pen).

On average, bsw proc allows 4% more damage than spinners for my build. No proc then spinners adds 4% more damage (same spell damage with no proc and slightly more max mag due to willpower front bar staff utilizing the utility of having a proc set back bar).

That's on average. Vs a build with 29k spell resist, BSW with proc is 2% more damage, and spinners is 5% more damage without the proc. Due to the nature of pen (flat percentage increase in damage) it is better vs heavier armored targets. Bsw proc also adds about 800 more healing to power lash HoT. Trade offs are there, depending on playstyle, goal, and opponent.

The buff to heals from Nirn is an argument, if you're running your heals on the offensive bar, that is true.
    For light armor users, penetration is a bit less important, as the passive alrrady gives a sizable chunk of it. I was referring to a stam player trying to penetrate a light armor user.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@BlackMadara

Well again, not quite. First, plenty of NBs pair spriggans with a heavy armor damage set. They are pretty tanky. Sorcs are undoubtedly weaker to crits then they were last patch. Whether they are stronger or weaker against non crits comes down to your resistances and you opponents penetration. Assuming you can get your resistances higher than the pen that you are facing, then sure, you are stronger against them, but that certainly wont always be the case, especially in light armor. It's certainly easier for a stam player to stack penetration than is it for a Light armor wearer to stack physical resistance, as the tradeoff for the later is more severe.

In other words: Against crits, sorcs are weaker than they were last week. Against no-crits, it really depends on who you are fighting, as it can go either way.