The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Character movespeed value — not provided by the API?

TheYKcid
TheYKcid
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
After searching around for and addon that would display my character's movespeed as a percentage, I was recommended MiniMap by Fyrakin.

However, the addon's speedometer appears to operate via some kind of dead reckoning—tracking one's position over time in relation to the size of the zone and calculating an approximate speed. This produces rather inaccurate values that fluctuate a lot. For example, walking in a straight line was giving me a speed of 98%, fluctuating by 2-3% every refresh, when it should've been a flat 100%. It got even worse during sprinting, which showed ~151% instead of the expected 140.

I was wondering if the reason for using this complicated system is because the game's API simply doesn't provide your actual movespeed value?

Would appreciate any insights on this!
PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have the technical acumen to verify this, but yeah, I was told that the API doesn't actually share anything that can be used to pull an accurate movespeed.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, different terrains have different move speeds. As above, if your trying to find an accurate move speed with an absolute number, your not going to find it. However, you can find the relative max speed for a given path with the mini map option. This will give an idea if one build is better than another.

PS, there is a cap, I think it is 100% base speed, or near that. So, your only going to go so fast.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the responses! Bummer that movespeed isn't available, seems like a pretty fundamental stat people would like to know.
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheYKcid I built a command into Essential Housing Tools that can clock your movement speed.

Just go into any player home and type:
    /clockme

(It will ask you to move straight forward continuously for several seconds)
    Edited by R_K on November 8, 2018 6:30AM
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @R_K

That worked perfectly! Tracking the distance covered over 6 seconds made for some very precise and consistent results! And to my surprise worked even when I had to move in a curving path (as there was no area big enough for me to run at 195%, my sprint speed, for the duration of the clock).

Got all the data I needed from that. Thanks for the recommend and great addon, Geezus.
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheYKcid No problem, I’m glad it was able to help! ;)