The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ZOS: Constructive Feedback from a satisfied customer.

BejaProphet
BejaProphet
✭✭✭✭✭
Preface: I have been playing ESO since it came to console and have subscribed to ESO plus for the majority of that time. I believe you have made the best MMO ever. As an avid tank I particularly think the tanking in this game is the most fun and engaging MMO combat play ever done. The amount of value I get for my money on this game is astounding. I could go on for pages about all you have done well, but this post is about 3 things where ESO does not yet live up to my past MMO experiences.

1. Still no guild halls. But since I bet this is going to come, enough said. Btw, when you bring them don’t just have us buy them. Take inspiration from Skyrim but on a much grander scale.

2. Holiday events are lacking. Now let me say that you plainly up’d your game on this for this year. It was noticed and appreciated. But you don’t seem to realize how they are lacking. The reason you don’t match other MMO’s in this regard is that your events are 80% limited time loot and 20% event. Now I love the loot, but we overwhelmingly are just doing the same stuff we do all year just for holiday themed loot. 80% loot, 20% event.

3. Your zones badly need dynamic events. Your zones outshine anybody in terms of lore, story, and sheer beauty. But none the less the often come across as stale as if nothing is truest happening. And at the root of it, they feel that way because nothing actually is happening. Your zones need big spectacular dynamic events, preferably specific to each zone. Something in each zone that makes all players drop their questing and say, “oh crap, we all have to deal with this.” Each zone has more than enough lore for a half dozen unique events.

In summary, the game is awesome and keeps getting better. Keep up the great work. But here are the scant few areas that you have not surpassed your competitors.
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *fix Savage Strength passive console already, its been 3 weeks since pc got their fix
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Night blade Healer(BiS for cuteness)-Flawless Conquerer Grand Overlord
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Khajiit(Master Race) Templar Healer, Flawless Conquerer
    Khajiit Stam dk, Flawless conquerer, 2nd attempt
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhCmVHwZioVyTEDberxGtA?view_as=public
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.
  • Sailor_Palutena
    Sailor_Palutena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guild Halls can be replaced by a large house from Guild Master, but a class hall would be awesome, especially if we could inspect other players (gear and talents), so we could have a general idea of what we are doing wrong or good.

They seems to only use holidays from Tamriel, not real Earth, with a few exceptions here and there. We would need to have Valentines, Christmas, Children, Summer and other just like in WoW that has holiday events through the entire year. Just adapt them to Nirn.

About dynamic zones, the first time I saw the cities changing after completing a quest line I found it awesome. And it seems to occur with much more frequency in the Aldmeri Dominion zones. Seeing bandits being replaced by citizens. Still, some cities never change and stay ruined or being attacked forever. That sucks.

I still find ESO better than any MMO around and I've quit WoW after 8 years :P
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dynamic events, like these in GuildWars2 - while doing our things, we are informed by the game that there is a dynamic event nearby, it's then marked on our map and we can participate in killing some ultimate boss for extra rewards.

This is what ESO maps lack so much, when it comes to being dynamic. Every mob here, excluding few caravan and mechant guys, are rooted to their positions awaiting for us to approach and kill them.

But as usual, it won't happen. A requested so many Times more advanced dolmen scaling, so they would not be so easy peasy closed in below single minute, never happened.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sailor_Palutena yes I agree that the game is awesome. I wanted to stress very much that this feedback was coming from a very pleased fan of the game.
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They seems to only use holidays from Tamriel, not real Earth, with a few exceptions here and there. We would need to have Valentines, Christmas, Children, Summer and other just like in WoW that has holiday events through the entire year. Just adapt them to Nirn.

Not sure how long you have played ESO, but the current holiday events (excluding anniversary events for various DLCs plus the original game launch) include:
    • New Life Festival (Xmas/New Year event)
    • Heart's Day event (Valentine's day) - 2016 only, has not repeated
    • Jester's Festival (late March, Easter-ish timeframe)
    • Midyear Mayhem (midsummer, usually late July-ish)
    • Witches' Festival (Halloween-themed, late October)

As for zone special events, that was probably part of the original design intent behind dolmens (in the mainland) - but they don't really feel special anymore, I know. There are also dark fissures (mini-dolmen events), but I agree that since they are so tiny and limited (5 mobs), they don't pose the sort of threat you envisage. It might be cool if they kept spawning more mobs - which moved outwards - until the fissure was actually closed..?
    Perhaps if the nearest transitus shrines were shutdown until the threat were resolved, it would motivate players to clean up the mess?
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure how long you have played ESO, but the current holiday events (excluding anniversary events for various DLCs plus the original game launch) include:
    • New Life Festival (Xmas/New Year event)
    • Heart's Day event (Valentine's day) - 2016 only, has not repeated
    • Jester's Festival (late March, Easter-ish timeframe)
    • Midyear Mayhem (midsummer, usually late July-ish)
    • Witches' Festival (Halloween-themed, late October)

As for zone special events, that was probably part of the original design intent behind dolmens (in the mainland) - but they don't really feel special anymore, I know. There are also dark fissures (mini-dolmen events), but I agree that since they are so tiny and limited (5 mobs), they don't pose the sort of threat you envisage. It might be cool if they kept spawning more mobs - which moved outwards - until the fissure was actually closed..?
    Perhaps if the nearest transitus shrines were shutdown until the threat were resolved, it would motivate players to clean up the mess?

Dolmens would feel special if people didn't insist on using them and little or no other content for leveling up characters :wink: !

I think the holiday events are fine as long as they get varied slightly from year to year, and where dependent on unlawful activity there's a lawful alternative for those characters that are played as lawful. There are certainly enough holiday events in my view although I'm certainly not against additional special events based on zone or other specific content such as Mages Guild etc.

One suggestion I put forward in previous MMOs but never got accepted was for developers briefly and without warning to "take over" certain NPCs who would talk to you and set you a quest. Imagine one of the team taking over Sheogorath, for example, and entering into exchanges with a number of players. Now imagine him popping up in Cyrodiil or Imperial City and being almost invincible!
  • Magilacuddy
    Magilacuddy
    ✭✭
    The game would be MUCH more awesome with decent servers. Lag seems to be a way of life in PvP
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding

1. Agreed that they are likely working on something with this
    2. There are a lot of events already and while the looting is there, they have a limited RNG system that doesn't require grinding the who event to get an item GW2, which a lot seems compared to, had a terrible grind on holiday events that sucked the time and enjoyment from the game trying to cram in as much event farming as possible for myself.
    3. There are dynamic events like dolmens and abysmal geysers that Allan see, and world bosses normally attract groups. I think the focus ZOS wanted to give was letting players feel they could progress through their stories and skip over ongoing events that might be going off every so msny minutes. Atop of this, the GW2 events, if you're modeling these after them, were grind and repetitive, and often failed without a group or strong build.

All that said this is just my opinion. I would agree on some divergent points.
    4. As stated above, his houses are probably in the works but given how housing is now, what do you feel is lacking? What services or items do you feel a guild needs that an individual couldn't do by giving permissions to another? Seems a limited list. I think you might want specifics on what you expect a guild hall to be otherwise it won't differ from what's already here.
    5. Dolmens and geysers could be scaled up to give more danger to players, and more excitement.
    6. Dynamic quests over events, with giving us more choices to affect the area. YES has been better at selling stories over group events, so making certain areas crumble while for others it rebuilds would be enjoyable way to see impact.
    7. Another group area like craglorn to help promote more group events. Some at ZOS talked they didn't want to do one again on what they viewed as a potential failure of a group basedadventure zone, but I think the issue was most burned out on the questlines.

Anyway, that's my take on it, good to see some positive feedback.
    Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HeroOfNone wrote: »
    Regarding

2. There are a lot of events already and while the looting is there, they have a limited RNG system that doesn't require grinding the who event to get an item GW2, which a lot seems compared to, had a terrible grind on holiday events that sucked the time and enjoyment from the game trying to cram in as much event farming as possible for myself.
    3. There are dynamic events like dolmens and abysmal geysers that Allan see, and world bosses normally attract groups. I think the focus ZOS wanted to give was letting players feel they could progress through their stories and skip over ongoing events that might be going off every so msny minutes. Atop of this, the GW2 events, if you're modeling these after them, were grind and repetitive, and often failed without a group or strong build.

4. As stated above, his houses are probably in the works but given how housing is now, what do you feel is lacking? What services or items do you feel a guild needs that an individual couldn't do by giving permissions to another? Seems a limited list. I think you might want specifics on what you expect a guild hall to be otherwise it won't differ from what's already here.
    5. Dolmens and geysers could be scaled up to give more danger to players, and more excitement.
    6. Dynamic quests over events, with giving us more choices to affect the area. YES has been better at selling stories over group events, so making certain areas crumble while for others it rebuilds would be enjoyable way to see impact.
    7. Another group area like craglorn to help promote more group events. Some at ZOS talked they didn't want to do one again on what they viewed as a potential failure of a group basedadventure zone, but I think the issue was most burned out on the questlines.

Thanks for a well thought out reply. You make many good points, far more than I have time to to reply to in kind atm. Let me just clarify my main idea. I certainly am not saying that ZOS is failing in each of these areas. You point about homes serving reasonably well as guild halls being a clear example. I am only identifying areas where they have not “surpassed” by previous experiences in past mmo’s. So I don’t mean to suggest that I know exactly how they should implement things. I’m only saying this is where you have not outdone the competition. And given I only named three things, I mean for it to be high praise.
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HeroOfNone wrote: »
    Regarding

Thanks for a well thought out reply. You make many good points, far more than I have time to to reply to in kind atm. Let me just clarify my main idea. I certainly am not saying that ZOS is failing in each of these areas. You point about homes serving reasonably well as guild halls being a clear example. I am only identifying areas where they have not “surpassed” by previous experiences in past mmo’s. So I don’t mean to suggest that I know exactly how they should implement things. I’m only saying this is where you have not outdone the competition. And given I only named three things, I mean for it to be high praise.

Ah, certainly, I just like to tack on more to keep the thought train rolling.

Specifics are sometimes in these instance also because other games had great guild halls but when I think back I realize this: most of those guild halls had convince items in them to help avoid the grind in other parts of their game. ESO has eliminated a lot of that, so even I struggle to think what unique twist can be done for guild halls.

Then I think about a giant death trap guild hall and remember not everyone wants to eviscerate friends on spike panels.
    Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe "mini" special events for original zoens, say 3 day events, inc. motif drops from boss monsters/dolmens, for say... 3 days?
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Empty Ye Olde zones need to something to make people go there.