Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Returning Player - Thoughts on new character

Azkure
Azkure
Soul Shriven
Greetings all!

I am returning to the game after some time off (wife and I had twins...now have 5 kids...still getting over that :smiley: ) and want to start fresh. I played a StamSorc and never got geared enough to do too much. Basically once my initial rotation went off I felt like I was just mashing abilities. So now I am looking for some change and looking towards StamDK or StamNB. I have been researching a bit and it seems that the DK would be more my style (take a beating but also dish it out) whereas a NB is more "avoid damage" I believe.

I am looking more towards end-game as well and what would be more fun in terms of group play, both PvE and PvP.

Open to all thoughts and ideas.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who mains a Stam DK, I enjoy it. Some new gear sets out there that buff light attack so the dual wield/bow setup is the way to go. No issues on sustain and puts out a solid DPS on raids.

Only hindrance you are going to run into is that you will (very, very likely) not be able to beat VMA with either.
  • Azkure
    Azkure
    Soul Shriven
    VMA...really? Why is that? What is a recommended build for VMA for DK and NB?
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina DK has an easier rotation. But stamina nightblades are flavour of the month at the moment. Whoop the most ass but are harder to master.
    Visit one of the gurus pages https://alcasthq.com/
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am having a problem myself on what character to play. I am doing a dragon knight because as you said, want to be "in your face" more than what my mage was doing. As for what to do for game content, I can't say since I don't do PvP and just play for fun so don't know what builds are good.

Not sure if you can do this or already know it, but if you have/access to the Imperial DLC (I think it's that one, sorry if wrong) then go straight to the Gold Coast and start the Dark Brotherhood quest to get the Blade of Woe. This way you can murder or as I like to think of it as "knocking out" (since they come back) and makes the game a bit easier with more choices but also lets me roll play and be more of a sneaky character who is learning the ropes to become a great Dragon Knight.

I am also using an Argonian just so he can look like a dragon with the wing spell.

Hope this helps.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Azkure
    Azkure
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the insight!

I usually do some of the DLC content when I am getting board with grinding or the main story line. It is a good break.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Azkure wrote: »
    VMA...really? Why is that? What is a recommended build for VMA for DK and NB?

Magblade or Magsorc are the easiest. Problem with stam DK and stam NB is a lot of their attacks are melee so you are subject to more damage. Its particularly difficult, some may say insanely difficult, to run VMA with a stam DK. It has been done, but not nearly as frequent as with a magblade or magsorc.

If you wanted, you could do a nightblade build and level them with both stam and magic. Not a hybrid, but level the stamina skills, respec and level for magic, then change your CP points accordingly. It will cost you gold. In other words, you could run everything else as a stamblade, then when you want to run VMA, just respec and re-equip to magblade and run it. Major problem would be not having the optimal race for the alternate NB, i.e. Redguard for stam, but not "correct" for mag.
    Edited by El_Borracho on October 11, 2018 11:26PM