Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Selling trial runs for gold. It's legal?

LightningAstros
Hello, my static want to sell trial runs for gold to other player (skins, achiev). Is it legal? And can we make anounce in game or other sites?
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t be okay. It’s more okay to me than crown conversion to gold. But most people that advertise this stuff in zone chat come off as scammers. So you may not get any hits.
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. It's usually called 'being carried' - when a player wants to clear a trial but can't carry their own weight, they pay a guild or a group of people to 'carry' them through the trial (to get a skin or equipment that drops from a particular trial).
    Although there's nothing 'illegal' about it, the people who are carried in exchange for in-game gold usually keep that little tidbit of information to themselves (embarrassment).

As far as making a formal advertising announcement, hmmm ... it's not illegal per se, but many players look at it as being 'unfair.' Think of it like a private 'pay to win' sort of thing ... it's just not cool that players with a lot of in-game gold can pay to get something they couldn't get based on merit.
    That being said, there are some guilds that do this sort of thing for free - but they do more than just 'carry' an under-performing player, they also teach the player trial mechanics and help the player improve their performance. This is not looked down on by other players as it doesn't involve 'pay to win'.

I suppose your static could find some ethical middle-ground and offer private tutoring to teach players trial mechanics in exchange for gold.

Although people do this sort of thing quite often, you still may want to review the TOS just to be on the 'safe side'.

note: personally, I don't like the idea of 'pay to win' trial runs for gold, but that's just me.

Edited by Maryal on October 3, 2018 11:10PM
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's an in-game service you'd pay with in-game gold, so ye. Some people either don't have enough time to run in progression groups or they can't get into a progression group, so it's how they'd get their clears.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A player may be more than capable, but perhaps just isn't running in the proper circles to have access to a raid group running the content. It may be a bit less of a "carry" and more like paying to bypass the progression aspect of the raid. Certainly it might feel better to progress with your own group, but there may come a point where that group falls apart or may just not be able to complete a certain trial. Rather than move around to one progression group after another, one might choose just to buy a carry and be done with that. They may very well earn it just as much as anyone else in that run, but just has lacked the opportunity to do so with the methods they have had access to.
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A player may be more than capable, but perhaps just isn't running in the proper circles to have access to a raid group running the content. It may be a bit less of a "carry" and more like paying to bypass the progression aspect of the raid. Certainly it might feel better to progress with your own group, but there may come a point where that group falls apart or may just not be able to complete a certain trial. Rather than move around to one progression group after another, one might choose just to buy a carry and be done with that. They may very well earn it just as much as anyone else in that run, but just has lacked the opportunity to do so with the methods they have had access to.

Good point, but more often than not, people who pay for a trial run are being 'carried' in the traditional sense. That being said, I do agree that there are also qualified players who pay for a trial run for the reasons you stated.
    Edited by Maryal on October 3, 2018 11:17PM
  • nodulo
    nodulo
    ✭✭✭
    Do folks pay for a vMA run?
    Before the critics I am joking.
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    nodulo wrote: »

I have heard about people paying for vma clear, vma wep farm and the nodeath achivement. People have the tendency to use money (ingame or real life) to skip progress in MMOs. Usually to be able to do said content easier later.

The sheer amound of people I've gotten in my teams with titles and skins that have zero clue about mechanics in the places they got the skin from. Its just idiotic!

And how many Flawless conqueror that dies to random trash in dungeons.

Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'll pay you 50,000 gold if you come over to my house and do it for me. I'll kick in another 10,000 if you wash my dog.
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, they do. You have to give access to your account for this to work, but it's a thing. I would see this as being too risky, but I have no problems with vMA anymore so it doesn't interest me in the least bit.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fool and his gold is soon raiding

Someone had to say it.....
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, prices I've seen on Xbox EU are vMoL - 1.2m, vAS+2 - 4 mil, vHoF - 3.5 mil

Being carried through it in exchange for gold is fine.
    Being carried through in exchange for crowns is fine.
    Using real money for a carry isn't.
    Having someone log onto your account to run again isn't.
    Edited by Sparr0w on October 5, 2018 2:43PM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll pay you 50,000 gold if you come over to my house and do it for me. I'll kick in another 10,000 if you wash my dog.

those are "Awesome" prices you are quoting there.
    unfortunately these guys are asking 10 million and more for these runs, which is completely rediculas.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No need to go to your house. I can just shareplay it for you. :smile: wash your own dog. It’s usually 100k, but I can make an exception
  • bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    i dont get that. hit a pug and try your luck lol
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA