Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 22
• PC/Mac: NA and EU for maintenance – April 24, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®4: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – April 24, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox One: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – April 24, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The Elsweyr Chapter and Update 22 base game patch are now available to test on the PTS! You can read the full patch notes here https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/468599

Werewolf Claw Marks body markings is lazy AF. Symmetrical? REALLY??!

Ruse
Ruse
✭✭✭
Because it's totally natural that scars are completely mirrored on both sides, right? The werewolf clawed my character in exactly the same way in exactly the same places on both sides of her body. Right.

Come on guys =/ The textures aren't bad in and of themselves but they can't be symmetrical. That's ... well ... lazy AF. I was interested when I got them but not when I actually used them.

It's made worse by the fact that it's in a crown crate.
Edited by Ruse on September 28, 2018 10:34PM
Travels in Tamriel (screenshots + light RP blog)
_.._.._.._.._.._.._

Jubilee | warden healer | white orc swamp witch
Sarielle | templar healer | Imperial good girl

My Skyrim mods:
Classic | SE
  • Ruse
    Ruse
    ✭✭✭
    The werewolf had ocd, which is not natural for werewolves, but common enough you will see other people with the same exact scars.

    Lol have an insightful for making me laugh.

    TBH though, how much time do you spend staring at other people's characters in detail (assuming the engine doesn't load them in low rez anyways)? By contrast how much time do you spend staring at your own?

    One is the nature of MMOs (people using the exact same "unique" thing you're using). The other is straight up bad, lazy design, especially if you're putting it in as a cash shop item. A gamble, RNG cash shop item. C'mon. :) The staff knows how to map asymmetrical textures to a mesh. They just didn't bother.
    Edited by Ruse on September 29, 2018 1:57AM
    Travels in Tamriel (screenshots + light RP blog)
    _.._.._.._.._.._.._

    Jubilee | warden healer | white orc swamp witch
    Sarielle | templar healer | Imperial good girl

    My Skyrim mods:
    Classic | SE
  • Rhoande
    Rhoande
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the werewolf was just trying to tenderly caress your character not maul them..
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the armors (all those symmetrical scratches..), tattoos and all kinds of stuff in the game had the same approach, so nothing really new here. Most of the devs do so especially in mmo genre where people have no time to stare at all the stitches.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're obsessed with making tattoos symmetrical, even when it looks terrible.
    I honestly wish they'd hire someone different to make the tattoos from now on.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the engine renders arms and legs as mirrors. Possibly to reduce the size of the character file. That's why, for example, the werewolf claws have symmetrical arms and legs but an asymmetrical torso.

    Even something that would seem like it could be given the asymmetrical treament like the Buoyant Armiger body tattoo has both arms identical.
  • Ruse
    Ruse
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the armors (all those symmetrical scratches..), tattoos and all kinds of stuff in the game had the same approach, so nothing really new here. Most of the devs do so especially in mmo genre where people have no time to stare at all the stitches.

    Yes, but scratches are a much less noticeable detail, and symmetrical tattoos are at least ... yanno, logical and possible.

    Symmetrical design all the time (Hi Bioware hairstyles) is just bad practice. It always looks awful and yes it IS a lazy practice.
    Acrolas wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the engine renders arms and legs as mirrors. Possibly to reduce the size of the character file. That's why, for example, the werewolf claws have symmetrical arms and legs but an asymmetrical torso.

    Even something that would seem like it could be given the asymmetrical treament like the Buoyant Armiger body tattoo has both arms identical.

    Then just don't offer "scars" on arms when you know they're going to be identical. Put them on the torso and be done with it. If you know your system is flawed, work within it in a sensible manner.
    Travels in Tamriel (screenshots + light RP blog)
    _.._.._.._.._.._.._

    Jubilee | warden healer | white orc swamp witch
    Sarielle | templar healer | Imperial good girl

    My Skyrim mods:
    Classic | SE
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hope the werewolf lord has a female version.
  • Pennylong
    Pennylong
    ✭✭✭
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    I hope the werewolf lord has a female version.

    If you mean the polymorph, yes it does.

    https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/werewolf-lord/
  • SeleneXIII
    SeleneXIII
    ✭✭✭
    Pennylong wrote: »
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    I hope the werewolf lord has a female version.

    If you mean the polymorph, yes it does.

    https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/werewolf-lord/

    I wonder if they’ll ever release those hair styles xD
    They look good 😂
  • Aeslief
    Aeslief
    ✭✭✭✭
    Animals suffer from improbable symmetry as well. The paint and other piebald horses, or the Great Daenian, for example.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue isn't with the texture being symmetrical, it's that the mesh itself has the half-body texture mapped to each side. Once you've done that, it's impossible to create an asymmetrical texture. The main reason for doing it is that the textures are half the size, and so your video memory can hold twice as many different ones.
  • Ruse
    Ruse
    ✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    The issue isn't with the texture being symmetrical, it's that the mesh itself has the half-body texture mapped to each side. Once you've done that, it's impossible to create an asymmetrical texture. The main reason for doing it is that the textures are half the size, and so your video memory can hold twice as many different ones.

    I'm an amateur modder but I understand enough about UV mapping etc. However, the torso isn't mirrored, as obvious by the Bouyant Armiger (spelling?) tattoo. Arms are mirrored, chest is asymmetrical.

    So if you know you're working with something like scars, have an ounce of design sense and just stick to the torso, yeah? You could do some really cool dramatic body scars only.

    Again ... come on. This is basic stuff. Work intelligently within the limits of your engine/resources. (Although, in 2018, this is the sort of visual upgrade they should be looking at IMO -- one texture for the whole body, instead of 2 half textures.)
    Edited by Ruse on October 3, 2018 11:09PM
    Travels in Tamriel (screenshots + light RP blog)
    _.._.._.._.._.._.._

    Jubilee | warden healer | white orc swamp witch
    Sarielle | templar healer | Imperial good girl

    My Skyrim mods:
    Classic | SE
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS don’t change art after it is released since some players might like it the way it was. This has been written in stone by a dev. Only case is obvious bugs. But not if 99% of the player base and even the original artist want to change it. They mentioned they don’t even let the original artist change it when I read a quoted ZOS post on this a while back.
    PC-NA: @q.bit
  • Ruse
    Ruse
    ✭✭✭
    qbit wrote: »
    ZOS don’t change art after it is released since some players might like it the way it was. This has been written in stone by a dev. Only case is obvious bugs. But not if 99% of the player base and even the original artist want to change it. They mentioned they don’t even let the original artist change it when I read a quoted ZOS post on this a while back.

    Well happily I got it as part of one of my freebie crown crates, but I actually really enjoyed the concept. It's just disappointing =/
    Travels in Tamriel (screenshots + light RP blog)
    _.._.._.._.._.._.._

    Jubilee | warden healer | white orc swamp witch
    Sarielle | templar healer | Imperial good girl

    My Skyrim mods:
    Classic | SE
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruse wrote: »
    Because it's totally natural that scars are completely mirrored on both sides, right? The werewolf clawed my character in exactly the same way in exactly the same places on both sides of her body. Right.

    Come on guys =/ The textures aren't bad in and of themselves but they can't be symmetrical. That's ... well ... lazy AF. I was interested when I got them but not when I actually used them.

    It's made worse by the fact that it's in a crown crate.

    Google Scarification. Who says its real werewolf claws when you look at many other scar patterns, especially on Redguards
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Google Scarification. Who says its real werewolf claws when you look at many other scar patterns, especially on Redguards
    Except this tattoo is obviously meant to look like a werewolf savaged the person, not scarification.
  • Ruse
    Ruse
    ✭✭✭
    Ruse wrote: »
    Because it's totally natural that scars are completely mirrored on both sides, right? The werewolf clawed my character in exactly the same way in exactly the same places on both sides of her body. Right.

    Come on guys =/ The textures aren't bad in and of themselves but they can't be symmetrical. That's ... well ... lazy AF. I was interested when I got them but not when I actually used them.

    It's made worse by the fact that it's in a crown crate.

    Google Scarification. Who says its real werewolf claws when you look at many other scar patterns, especially on Redguards

    This is reaching, lol. I know what scarification is, and it's a ritual and deliberate design. I don't think most werewolves claw people for fashion.
    Travels in Tamriel (screenshots + light RP blog)
    _.._.._.._.._.._.._

    Jubilee | warden healer | white orc swamp witch
    Sarielle | templar healer | Imperial good girl

    My Skyrim mods:
    Classic | SE
Sign In or Register to comment.