The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best class to level as a new player?

Athannos
Athannos
✭✭
Hey guys, sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this!

I started playing ESO when Summerset first came out, but had to quit, due to moving abroad and not really having time for it. I was playing on NA with a friend. Now I'm back, and I'm thinking about starting from scratch on the EU server (where I'm from anyway)!

What would you suggest as a beginner-friendly class in the current patch? (including stam/mag, race and weapon?)

I'm open to any and all suggestion! I'm not looking for a end-game super DPS class (which most guides I see online are about), but something simple, yet enjoyable to level and learn the game with! Preferably sturdy, so I don't die too often... And speaking of that...

As far as my experiences so far go - back on NA I tried a magicka Warden to about level 20, but gave it up due to it dying way too easily. I switched to magicka Sorcerer and enjoyed it a lot! Maybe I should stick to that? Or would something else be more appropriate for my situation?

Thank you all in advance! See you in game! <3
  • Grayfax
    Grayfax
    ✭✭✭
    If you aren't looking for an end-game anything, then I would pick something that looks like fun, and go with a race and face that appeals to you. All races can complete most of the game content in all class combinations.

I wasn't sure how it was going to go, so I played half a dozen characters up to about level 20 and am now progressing forward with the one I liked the most. I don't feel any pressure on reaching CP160 or 780 and I know I'll get there. I expect to get there on multiple characters. It is just going to take time. Eventually I want to run through all dungeons and trials as damage dealer, healer and tank.. and that means it is going to take even longer. *shrug* But what else am I doing right now anyway?

After I joined a guild that ran Trials, that was when I was able to see the other mechanics in the game (they carried me through one time at a very low level) and it helped me figure out where I wanted to go from there. I don't know if you will find the same thing, but regular content versus trial content is different because of how it has to be treated.

I know that doesn't tell you, "Here's X!" but partly that's because I don't believe there is only one way to play this game. There is a way that YOU will want to play this game... I just wanted to share how I figured that part out for myself. Good luck!
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Depends what you want to do. PVE or PVP, and all that stuff. I think once you figure out what kind of player you want to be, sneaky, magicka, brawler, tanky, etc., make sure you consult the guides like alcast for what races are compatible with that class. Within that class, you can make alterations to skills to focus on PVP and PVE content, such as 2H or dual wield. You can't change classes and it costs money (crowns) to change your race, and even more if you are changing races across alliances.

It is true that race does not have a huge impact on solo play and most group content. But it does have a noticeable impact in tougher dungeons like MHK, Fang Lair, etc, and vet trials like HOF and Asylum Sanctorum. I know you said you don't plan on doing that now (neither did I when I started), but I eventually did. It was then I found my Nord stam DK, while good and very cool looking, wasn't really blowing the doors off anyone.

I ended up liking the PVE endgame content a lot and ended up shelling out some crowns to change my DK to a Khajiit. I like the melee style and dual wield is pretty satisfying when it comes to an all-around banger, both in solo and group content. People currently love the DPS from the magicka sorcerers.

In the end, there really isn't a right or wrong answer to this.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magic Templar is an easy button for the game. May not be the Meta darling, but your main attack heals you and you can solo any story content.

Make them a crafter if you get to the point you do.meta characters
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the posts above are great posts ... especially the point about a class/race that looks fun for you.

I have two Magicka Wardens ... one is a dedicated healer and the other is a PvP off-tank. Yours that you already started will do fine with the proper gear.
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    everything else except mag sorc,zos has ruined the class
    mag nb/templar is a very good choice for a beginner and easy to play (templar better)
    whatever you choose,plan ahead.
    f.e want to be a crafter?start immediately researching and learning motifs
    pvp? go to no cp campaign to learn basics,find a group and level your toon without even touch pve
    good luck
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Athannos wrote: »
    As far as my experiences so far go - back on NA I tried a magicka Warden to about level 20, but gave it up due to it dying way too easily.

Not related specifically to your question and my apologies for going slightly off topic but this has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time.

I have been saying like forever that there is some weird buggy thing happening with magicka Wardens where given the same race, gear and CP allocation, etc., for some unknown reason they just plain take more damage than other magicka classes from the same sources.

It's hard to test and quantify but I have 10 end-game fully geared characters - a stamina and magicka of each class - and I'm convinced this has been the case since they were added to the game.

There just seems to be some basic damage mitigation stat that isn't applying correctly for magicka wardens.

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think all the classes are easy to master except for nightblades. That class has a steeper learning curve than the others. (Once you master how to play nightblades, though, then you'll have a great character.)
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played Templer, Warden and Dragonknight to 50 and the Dragonknight is with "Burning Ambers" a one-button survival artist. But i like my warden and the warden has all the achievements :( If a day had 50 hours i d play all three :)

Whatever class you start, ask someone to craft five pieces fortified brass in white or green quality with training trait. For my DK a lvl 26 set was good enough till level 50. The real game starts when the One Tamriel buff drops. It is also the time where the mobs drop endgame set pieces. Thats why training trait doesnt hurt. Level means not much in ESO.
    Edited by mague on September 28, 2018 7:20AM
  • Athannos
    Athannos
    ✭✭
    Thank you all for the great advices!

I'm sure I'll end up playing all of the classes at some point! Maybe it'll indeed be best to just level everything until, say lvl15, and decide from there.

I mainly asked since last time leveling magicka warden/sorc felt like night and day in terms of survivability and damage (both were following "optimal" online guides).

I guess I'll start with magTemplar, like a few of you suggested, but will give the others a shot as well, to see if anything in particular *clicks* with me!
    mague wrote: »
    Whatever class you start, ask someone to craft five pieces fortified brass in white or green quality with training trait. For my DK a lvl 26 set was good enough till level 50.

I'll be sure to ask for that, once I find myself a nice guild on EU! Thanks for the advice!