The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Am I the only one that does this?

EliteWarrior
EliteWarrior
✭✭✭
I've played for almost a year, almost 800 hours and about 600CP. I play 99% on my main, a Stam DK. Everyone who I know, and met in-game has many alts, alts for PvP, PvE, tanks, healers, etc. I have 2 level 50 characters, my second character I only levelled to get the levelling rewards, and when I hit 50, I realised my achievements, skill points, (and not to mention an outfit slot I bought, not sure why they aren't account based but never mind lol) were all back on my Stam DK main. I even use my main for PvP and PvE, respecing my skill points countless times. I was wondering if I am the only serious player out there who only has one character they use? Note: The Halloween event is coming soon, so I'll probably make some new characters to level just for the fun.
PC | EU
Main: Stam DK

Am I the only one that does this? 207 votes

I have only have one character that I use.
25%
NewBlacksmurfLisaKlemenziusb16_ESOTryxusrichard.mcmanb16_ESOkwisatzJasonSilverSpringsrfrogg23Darkhorse1975JeremyLatiosKanarCaininiteNolaArchdan958TheRealSnikerASkullPartyVenscalSygil05Fishoscandi 53 votes
I have multiple characters that I use.
55%
driosketchotis67lygerseyeprofundidob16_ESOalanmatillab16_ESOCyberOnEsoKayiraDanikatValvejedtb16_ESOMaythorAlienSlofSkayaqBroddaThestephenmcraeub17_ESObottleofsyrupbellatrixedkimaerilDarkheartLinaleah 114 votes
You really need to make some more characters, you're missing out on a lot of content!
19%
moonsugar66theyanceyCaligamy_ESOMalnutritionYusufkari-pekka.hamalaineneb17_ESODerNachtfalterCHVINZZdeviousthevilebadmojoErrisReifPraboookylewwefanRaddlemanNumber7wolfie1.0.geonsocalProtossyderSnootkingred_emu 40 votes
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You really need to make some more characters, you're missing out on a lot of content!
    to each their own, but, I couldn't imagine not giving every single ability in the game a try at least once...

all the different weapon choices, gear combinations, races, ultimates...

lot of different character iterations to play with...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Altaire
    Altaire
    ✭✭✭
    Explore, or become a farmer
  • Finviuswe
    Finviuswe
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think there's nothing wrong at all with playing only one char.

It's not what most people do, most have more than one.

But if that is your preferred way of playing, then there is nothing wrong with that.
  • Runschei
    Runschei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 9 chars fully max leveled and all of them in decent gear, yet I only use my magnb for pve and stamnb for pvp. None of the others are used more than once weekly :/
  • Neyane
    Neyane
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love making alt characters. Making each one do crafting writs, each one with their own build. Tank, healer and the rest dds. Whenever I’m bored with my main, I’d play a different character.
    The most important thing in life is enjoying yourself.
    810+, love trials and dungeons, achievement hunter ♥
    Stormproof on 9 characters and more to come~ Flawless on MagSorc & MagPlar ♥
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have multiple characters but most are crafting alts created back when there wasn't enough skill points to max every crafting career and your character skills.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there's anything wrong with playing just 1 character, but I'm definitely the opposite. I can't remember the last time I had just 1 character in an RPG I played a lot. I always want to try out different classes and builds and story choices, or even just cosmetic choices.

In ESO I have one of each class, plus a crafter (DK, but with just 3 combat skills) and a second nightblade who is a dedicated Thief/assassin - for achievements and things I didn't want to do on my other characters.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • dan958
    dan958
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have 3 characters, but only 1 that I use. (the other 2 characters are level 3 and 6)
    @dan958 - PC/EU - Dannuin - Nightblade - Bosmer - CP982 - For the Queen!
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play 4 diverse characters (4 sorcs, lol, no) because I get bored if play only one.. gameplay itself in ESO is not so charming with all those arcade moba-like skills and horizontal progression.. but creating different builds and actual role-playing with them in dungeons is what gives spark of interest and enjoyment at least for me.. those creative freedom is very limited if you have only one char IMO
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its entirely a matter of preference. me, I like having alts, but I know PLENTY of people who prefer to stick to a single main. you play whatever way you enjoy best, IMO.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play my Warden say... 95% of the time. I do have a Nightblade crafter, whom I occasionally dust off for some PvP "shenanigans" >:) as well as a Templar, who is my backup healer for additional reward coffers and loot :p
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have 10 chars on lvl 50, but my MagDK will always be my Main. If there is an event with/or new achievements to get, I want to have them on this character. I don't care at all about the other alts in this regard, but I still play them.
    I help my friends out in the new DLC dungeons with my Tank after I made sure to have them clear (with nodeath, hm, speedrun, etc.) on my Main for example. Currently I run Trials with either my Stamblade or my Magblade for more dps, but I always keep an eye out for an oppertunity to switch on my MagDk for missing achievements like vAS hm, no death in various instances, etc.

When I was new to group content and quite a noob, I was baffled as soon as somebody offered to switch to another char for dungeon runs, because I couldn't imagine playing multiple characters with different class, role, gear, skills, etc.

Now I see it differently. You should definitely try out other chars. Having atleast one other role (for example a tank/healer), will make your ingame experience much more dynamic and comfortable. Start by collecting gear for other classes/roles on your Main and you will have a good start.
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • znrk
    znrk
    ✭✭✭
    Doing the same content with different classes is fun. That being said, most stuff I do for the first time on my main, for achievments, its the only toon where I care about them.
    PC/EU
  • TheKingofSass
    TheKingofSass
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh boi, I sure do got more then one toon. There was a time I was exactly like you, had one main which I did almost everything with. And then I got bored, decided to make more characters to try out other classes, different build, ect.

Now I have 3 warden (tanks, stam&mag), 3 DK's (same with my wardens), 2 NB's (mag+crafter&stam), 2 Sorcs(mag&stam) and 1 Templar that I have rerolled from mag2tank2stam2mag back countless time kek.

It has become an addiction, like each toon has its purpose hahahah. Wanted to make a sorc tank buuuuut I have put that idea in the garbage bin. For now.
    "Remember, darkness does not always equate to evil, just as light does not always bring good."

Nifereti
    500 CP+┇Altmer┇Vampire Magblade┇AD
    Alyäia Morningstar
    500 CP+┇Altmer┇Vampire Magplar┇AD
    Poison Avy
    500 CP+┇Bosmer┇Werewolf Stamden┇EP
    Tronto Ebur
    500 CP+┇Imperial┇Frosted Tankden┇EP
    Azaerani
    500 CP+┇Dunmer┇Dovah Kendov MagKnight┇DC
  • Zoal_AUG
    Zoal_AUG
    ✭✭✭
    @EliteWarrior Hey, i play since first beta. I currently have 3 max lvl chars but i main only 1. Its my DK currently stamina, he is a grand overlord has over 100 tittles he done every end game trial (vas HM too) also he is grand master crafter and has almost 30k achivement points on top of that he owns 2 decorated crown exclusive houses (erstwhile sanctuary and tel galen) he is known housing decorator and simply badass!
    Edited by Zoal_AUG on September 25, 2018 11:16AM
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've leveled multiple characters but I generally stick to my main because it's pretty easy to respec and change up my play style. In a way, it's like rolling an alt without leveling :)
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play every class and theorycraft them for PvP, that's what I enjoy about this game the most
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 50 Warden, Templer and DK. But i play 99% the Warden.
  • Shezzarrine
    Shezzarrine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played on a single character untill CP 600 or so also, my DK tank. Since then I've made 9more characters and I highly recommend trying new playstyles and classes. I wish I had done so sooner but I for one really enjoy the variety of having many toons I can play
  • Bubbastic
    Bubbastic
    ✭✭✭
    I play Magicka Nightblade 90% of the time in pledges and trials and PVP.
    I also have an Altmer templar healer, an Argonian DK Tank which is also the crafter, because sometimes my guildmates need those, a mag sorc , a stam sorc,... All above lvl 50 with full sets

There are so much ways to play and enjoy this game and I like to try different setups and gameplays. I can't stick to one character. I need change or I get bored after a while.

And there's the fact that multiples characters allows to get more daily crafting ressources, pledges keys.
    Edited by Bubbastic on September 25, 2018 11:30AM
    。◕‿◕。
  • Wise_Will
    Wise_Will
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mainly just do simple quests, world bosses and some norm/vet dungeons. as its nothing too intensive i like to make some wacky builds that entertain me.
    XBOX EU/PC EU
  • EliteWarrior
    EliteWarrior
    ✭✭✭
    Zoal_AUG wrote: »
    @EliteWarrior Hey, i play since first beta. I currently have 3 max lvl chars but i main only 1. Its my DK currently stamina, he is a grand overlord has over 100 tittles he done every end game trial (vas HM too) also he is grand master crafter and has almost 30k achivement points on top of that he owns 2 decorated crown exclusive houses (erstwhile sanctuary and tel galen) he is known housing decorator and simply badass!

That's awesome! Gimme a few years and I might be close!! :smiley:
    PC | EU
    Main: Stam DK
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one character of every class, six in total. Two sorcs, one magicka one stam. Thinking about making four more, just to have a stam/magicka version of every class, instead of changing skills and respecing points everytime.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no better way to learn how to fight against certain class than playing it, that's why I have almost all classes (stam/mag), geared and baptized with the fires of Cyrodiil.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If u want to become moderately serious/competitive, u need atleast one char of each class and a nice stack of racechangers.

There will always be one class, that is fotm or slightly better than the others. The problem is not that your one class is not viable. The problem is, when u want to be competitive, u r up against extremely skilled players who additionally go full fotm.

As theres no classchangers, u better prepare ahead.

For competitive pvp, its kinda mandatory to learn atleast the basics of any class to know what to expect and how to counter things. Similar for pve, to truely understand a raid u need to have seen it from all three roles.

Another point would be convinience, eso is very great with the ability to exchange bound gear between alts, but respeccing cp, skills and attributes remains very expensive and timeconsuming. Lately its also going into the morph-by-role direction way to much for my taste (e.g. eruption and now refreshing path)

Next big point would be dailies. If u were around for anniversary event: By doing the writs on my 10 alts, i got 60 boxes within the first hour. The maximum possible amount of dailies u can do on one char is 48(?iirr?) and it will take you hours to complete them, might even be not possible to do all. eso is strong at making things extremely grindy but also limiting grind to timeframes: gladiator proofs (lol, those r accountwide daily), dauntless keys, rewards of the unworthy, battlemaster boxes, random dungeon and every daily that drops a motifpage and so on.

For crafting its extremely efficient to have more than one char. E.g. jewelry research. It was clear on pts, that on the distribution of trait items, it would be way more efficient to research traits once and than retrait items to desired traits.
    9 alts, could research one trait each and thus enabling u to get any trait u wanted on any item 8 hours after launch. (actually getting the research items was the bigger issue xD) As writboxes were already mentioned, i'll just say "hireling mails" here.

As this all sounded a bit metardish, besides getting a massive advantage ingame, i do like to quest and explore, so whenever i run out of content, i just roll a new toon.
  • TwilightAngel_89
    I have a few characters I use,my crafter and my new main also have a few mule characters
  • tunepunk
    tunepunk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one that is my main that I mostly play. That one is my achievment hunter, farmer, overland quester, dungeon crawler, but I have 2 other chars that I play occasionally when I get bored of him.

I don't see anything wrong with only playing one char if you're happy with the way he works. But can be fun to try something new. Doesn't mean you have to play multiple characters equally much.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You don’t even know what you’re missing out on. Whether it’s soloing dungeons with ease on a StamSorc, or the real difference between tanking on a DK vs anything else, crazy burst damage of a nightblade or the raw power of a templar.

All the nerf cries and woes become trivial when you have options.

Also...places look quite a bit different. You’ll never get to experience getting lost in the AD home base in the Imperial City or the grandeur of their starting place in Cyrodil. It’s different coming from a Daggerfall main.
  • Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
    Here for the altaholics anonymous meeting.
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    poll is a little off

i have one character that i use just i have multiple characters for situations where grp needs healer or tank. or if an even comes up or whatever