The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Crowdfunding new servers for Cyrodiil

Olquorron
Olquorron
✭✭✭
Server performance in Cyrodiil (particularly in CP-enabled campaigns) is lacking, to say the least. During prime time Cyrodiil is often unplayable. Yet we keep coming back, because we love the game, we love the PvP experience, and we hold out hope that eventually the extreme latency issues will be resolved.

But they won't be resolved.

At least, not if we just wait for ZOS to fix them. Why not? Firstly, it's abundantly clear that what's most needed is upgraded (i.e., faster) server hardware. Case in point: extreme lag issues in CP-enabled campaigns (even when Sotha is also pop-locked) are far more apparent for the reason that CP-enabled combat requires a far greater number of computations. Thus, what is needed is a major hardware upgrade.

I'm sure the people at ZOS responsible for making such determinations (i.e., the people that actually work on the game) would *love* to upgrade the server hardware. I suspect the problem is that higher powers don't want to invest that kind of money in a four-year-old game. We keep coming back, we keep trying to make PvP work, we keep our ESO subscriptions current, and we keep buying stuff from the crown store.

Under these circumstances, why would those whose job it is to look out for the bottom line pony up the money for new servers? They won't.

I'd like to propose that we start a campaign to convince the powers-that-be to upgrade the servers if the playerbase can front the money itself, directly for this purpose (and this purpose alone). In other words, crowdfund new servers.

I think it would take only a few days to crowdfund the money for the necessary server upgrades w/ contributions from the existing playerbase.

Thus, I would invite anyone who finds this idea appealing to use this thread to explore with me the many potential barriers to such an arrangement. I'd be chuffed if those with legal expertise would chime in.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Olquorron wrote: »
    Thus, I would invite anyone who finds this idea appealing to use this thread to explore with me the many potential barriers to such an arrangement. I'd be chuffed if those with legal expertise would chime in.

But in Bethesda, Maryland, ZeniMax Media has slowly built an empire that has established a significant foothold in the gaming space—and while individual and corporate investors are shut out for now, venture capitalists are courting it aggressively.
    https://www.cnbc.com/id/39726707

Despite being an article from 2010, that's still the case. ZeniMax does seem to prefer being indebted to as few people as possible because that means returning investments for as few people as possible.

The other barrier is, of course, that Cyrodiil is not a server. Each campaign is a large instance on the megaserver. There's never going to be real-time performance and some people have to start realizing that smashing a lot of people together in one place can be just as uncomfortable digitally as it is in real life. Latency is going to be an issue in any multiplayer game, no matter the product. It's not something that has a magic fix.
    signing off
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    then make fewer people allowed in each campaign, like 25 per alliance max.
    any new people are locked out and pushed into another campaign.

ALL campaigns 75 people max, 25 per alliance.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not for lack of money that ZOS can't or won't fix the lag or persistent performance issues in PVP. They've got the money.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So, a guild raid and a ganker?
  • Olquorron
    Olquorron
    ✭✭✭
    Its not for lack of money that ZOS can't or won't fix the lag or persistent performance issues in PVP. They've got the money.

That's exactly my point.
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s not a server hardware issue. It’s software coding flaws deeply rooted in the base code. Increasing server power won’t fix it. They need to allocate manpower resources to fix it. Pvp doesn’t generate money. Their money comes from new content and crown store. Pvp players is a fraction of the larger player base. It’s not cost effective for them.their manpower resources goto pve.
    Edited by LegacyDM on September 24, 2018 11:29PM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do know the servers ZOS use are practically brand new? Its not a hardware issue whatsoever.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • rootimus
    rootimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LegacyDM wrote: »
    It’s not a server hardware issue. It’s software coding flaws deeply rooted in the base code. Increasing server power won’t fix it.

None of us on the outside know for certain if it's a hardware issue, a software issue, or a combination of both. Anecdotal evidence suggests you're probably right, though.
    They need to allocate manpower resources to fix it.

Sadly, this is never going to happen. It's what happens when a company is run by people like Jerry Bruckheimer, Les Moonves and Robert Trump; when the money starts to dry up they'll be fine with ESO withering and dying while they happily milk the next cash cow.
    Even on the internet, clear communication is important; it can be the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"; the difference between "knowing your s***" and "knowing you're s***".
    Greybeards & Gals - Civilised, laid-back, mature gamers. Beards optional. |
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The performance doesn't seem any better or worse than it did when the game had more people per server IMO
  • MakoFore
    MakoFore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they just dont care- so yeah - lets crowdfund it lol-
    given that pop lock is a mere 350-500 players around the world at once in cyrodil= and they cant have a stable server for it- i guess its doomed.
  • Olquorron
    Olquorron
    ✭✭✭
    It’s not a server hardware issue. It’s software coding flaws deeply rooted in the base code. Increasing server power won’t fix it. They need to allocate manpower resources to fix it. Pvp doesn’t generate money. Their money comes from new content and crown store. Pvp players is a fraction of the larger player base. It’s not cost effective for them.their manpower resources goto pve.

I don't think that's true. If it were, the problem wouldn't be directly tied to the number of people active in a given campaign, and the problem wouldn't be worse in CP vs. no-CP campaigns.

If it *is* true, then perhaps there's something we could still fund, since those with the ability to greenlight such things clearly won't put the capital forward (again, I know those who actually work on the game would surely do something about this if it were within their power to do so).
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ye lets waste more money giving to ZoS..
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if we were to crowdfund a fix for cyrodiil, first we would have to get ZoS to tell us what exactly the problem is and how much they think it will cost to fix. We would need a number to aim for, and it would then have to be legally binding that ZoS uses the money to fix whatever is causing the problem in cyrodiil. Throwing money at them is useless if they can just do whatever they want with the money.
  • Olquorron
    Olquorron
    ✭✭✭
    Well if we were to crowdfund a fix for cyrodiil, first we would have to get ZoS to tell us what exactly the problem is and how much they think it will cost to fix. We would need a number to aim for, and it would then have to be legally binding that ZoS uses the money to fix whatever is causing the problem in cyrodiil. Throwing money at them is useless if they can just do whatever they want with the money.

Yes, that's covered in the original post.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If unironic, this is a new level of rendering yourself voluntarily servile to our corporate overlords.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rootimus wrote: »
    It’s not a server hardware issue. It’s software coding flaws deeply rooted in the base code. Increasing server power won’t fix it.

None of us on the outside know for certain if it's a hardware issue, a software issue, or a combination of both. Anecdotal evidence suggests you're probably right, though.
    They need to allocate manpower resources to fix it.

Sadly, this is never going to happen. It's what happens when a company is run by people like Jerry Bruckheimer, Les Moonves and Robert Trump; when the money starts to dry up they'll be fine with ESO withering and dying while they happily milk the next cash cow.

I'm just going off what ZOS has stated. They have admitted that the problem is a software one. Not an issue with hardware.
    Olquorron wrote: »

I don't think that's true. If it were, the problem wouldn't be directly tied to the number of people active in a given campaign, and the problem wouldn't be worse in CP vs. no-CP campaigns.

If it *is* true, then perhaps there's something we could still fund, since those with the ability to greenlight such things clearly won't put the capital forward (again, I know those who actually work on the game would surely do something about this if it were within their power to do so).

I can't find it but I recall that Brian Wheeler stated that the results of the no-CP test were not what they initially thought and they were going to look at other causes.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i didnt read but im not even funding the regular servers til my shields are fixed
  • Sylosi
    Sylosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People going on about hardware, but I seem to remember a video (by Fengrush) showing a big drop in performance after they added code to deal with botting early in the game.
    Edited by Sylosi on September 25, 2018 1:20AM
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We'd be better off crowdfunding development of a new a game to replace ESO, which is basically what is happening via Camelot Unchained.
  • darvaria
    darvaria
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crowdfunding is now regulated by the SEC in the US. Similar rules as used to sell shares as applied to LP/GP investments. You have to "qualify" investors, define a "return", etc. I've mostly seen them used in start ups or a new product or division. Crowdfunding got a lot more complicated after the SEC ruling came about in 2016. Not sure ZOS would meet the requirements for crowdfunding (particularly the one about disclosure with sales being around $115M, I would guess they are an exchange act reporting company even though it is a private company. If ZOS isn't, seems likely the parent company is ... so I'm speculating they would NOT qualify .. (just speculating) But ... IF they could quality, one premise used is to offer something of value to the investors. Some of these virtual product rewards could easily fall under that option. I don't see equity positions as a viable option.

Is there reason to think Zenimax does not have the funds or could raise the funds from other methods to improve the servers? They COULD sell a Cyrodiil supporters package. Virtual rewards such as a mount as no one as seen before. Appearance based rewards so as not to trend toward "pay to win".
    Edited by darvaria on September 25, 2018 2:10AM
  • Jameliel
    Jameliel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For as many people that play the game, they should at the very least put servers in Asia and Oceanic regions as well. z0$ is going down as legendary for being a cheap company. I'm not sure exactly what they need to do to fix performance and lag issues. I do know they need to do something NOW, and not another 4 years down the road. I've seen nothing that makes me believe they are doing anything but milking as much money as they can before the game slowly loses more and more players.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just sell adds on the load screen ... This load screen was brought to you by pepsi
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PvP players DO spend money on the crown store and new content, though. I'd even argue that they might spend even more than their PvE only counterparts. Pretty much every PvP player I know has ESO+, has bought every expansion, has certainly bought a horse or opened crates to get one, and most of them have bought costumes, hats, skins, etc from the crown store on top of that. If you ride around in Cyrodiil, it seems like every 2nd player has an apex mount and nearly everyone at least has some sort of purchased one. The brown horse is the least common one out there. Compared to mounting up in trials and seeing a large portion of the people using one of the gold purchased horses or one of the collector's edition or giveaway ones, it seems like PvP players do spend more on cosmetics.

• phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You cannot be remotely serious?
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • shaielzafine
    shaielzafine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »
    Just sell adds on the load screen ... This load screen was brought to you by pepsi

Great idea, tbh. With all the loadscreens they should really just introduce more ads if it helps any with performance. After all, immersion is already broken when you log in and see a giant crown store ad.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All the players running Zaan in PvP tells me they do indeed generate money for ZoS. That and entire large groups riding about on mounts gained from crown crates.

With the PvE aspect of the game new content is always required and that drains from the coffers much more than anything they do for PvP.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Urvoth wrote: »

PvP players DO spend money on the crown store and new content, though. I'd even argue that they might spend even more than their PvE only counterparts. Pretty much every PvP player I know has ESO+, has bought every expansion, has certainly bought a horse or opened crates to get one, and most of them have bought costumes, hats, skins, etc from the crown store on top of that. If you ride around in Cyrodiil, it seems like every 2nd player has an apex mount and nearly everyone at least has some sort of purchased one. The brown horse is the least common one out there. Compared to mounting up in trials and seeing a large portion of the people using one of the gold purchased horses or one of the collector's edition or giveaway ones, it seems like PvP players do spend more on cosmetics.
    kargen27 wrote: »

All the players running Zaan in PvP tells me they do indeed generate money for ZoS. That and entire large groups riding about on mounts gained from crown crates.

With the PvE aspect of the game new content is always required and that drains from the coffers much more than anything they do for PvP.

All players are spending money. Yes. Not saying pvp players don't buy from the crown store. Sure people like mounts and customes. That's universal and not dependent on pvp. Saying the devs cator their development efforts with pve in mind over pvp improvements because pve is what sells. What I meant buy pvp doesn't generate money is it is free to play with base game purchase. The only money pvp generates is forcing pvp players to buy pve content for new skills (e.g., summerset) and monster helms which by the way show up in golden vendor. Hence my point that resources and development costs are being used to generate pve and crown store items not for pvp,improvementsp. If pvp was the majority of the player base and generated money for Zos they would have fixed it a long time ago. Trust me, it's not a priority for them.
    Edited by LegacyDM on September 25, 2018 6:41AM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
  • KoultouraS
    KoultouraS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crowdfounding a server for ZOS,
    ... whereas its their absolute business/obligement to do so... GOD where has this come to...?
    I Am all in btw for such a motion, even if this shows how desperate pvp community is, but just to rant about a little, ...
    if this actually happens then ZOS is officialy the worst thing I 've ever seen in corporate history.
    Edited by KoultouraS on September 25, 2018 9:50AM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish more people understood this, but the internet is obsessed with "upgrade the servers" being able to fix everything.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lightning, anti-bot and LoS patches made pvp performance worse. Things went downhill way before CP system.

But after they moved EU server to Frankfurt, my ping doubled. Doitsu no kagaku wa sekai ichi, my arse.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
This discussion has been closed.