The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Best craftable/overland set to use with Julianos for PvE sorc?

Bam_Bam
Bam_Bam
✭✭✭✭✭
Looking to help a new player.

Please don't mention anything like Moondancer, Amberplasm etc - they aren't available lol. Just sets that can be found from normal questing or can be crafted.

Cheers
Joined January 2014
PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
Lims Kragm'a
Bam Bam Bara
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well for force pulse build, aguilty in clockwork city, thats a craftable set is a great set, thou I really dislike the visual effects it brings with it
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julianos is a great base set - particularly since you are looking for crafted/overland.

If you use summons, then I recommend pairing it with Necropotence.

If you don't use summons you might consider Kagrenac's Hope or Mother's Sorrow.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julianos can be used with the Spinner's Garment set. I swear by Spinner's. The penetration you get helps kill stuff fast, and it's an easy-to-get set for a new player, available in Guild Traders. Farmed in Malabal Tor. https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Spinner's+Garment's+Set

You can also ditch Julianos, and couple Spinner's with a different set that does damage, such as Netch's Touch (easy to farm from a normal-mode, easy 4-man dungeon called Darkshade Caverns, and great for a sorceror) https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Netch's+Touch+Set

Or couple Spinner's with War Maiden, which boosts magic damage, and is super easy to get from Guild Traders. Farmed in Vvardenfell. https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/War+Maiden+Set

Another option for a new player is to pair Spinner's with Mad Tinkerer, which is just a fun set, and also super easy to get from Guild Traders. Farmed in Clockwork City. I don't like this one as much as Netch or War Maiden, though. https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Mad+Tinkerer+Set

All of these are great until you can start farming trials and DLC dungeons.

Edited by SydneyGrey on September 22, 2018 5:43AM
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Spinners/Mother's Sorrow for non-pet and Necropotence for pet.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spinners/Mother's Sorrow for non-pet and Necropotence for pet.
    These are solid combinations, too.

I used to use Julianos all the time, but I seem to get better results with my Spinner's/Netch's Touch combo for sorceror, coupled with an Ilambris monster helm set. It turns your sorc into a lightning god.
    Edited by SydneyGrey on September 22, 2018 5:48AM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of the penetration set for stam (Spriggans) but for mag, I look to get my pen from light armor passives and CP. Able to get over 9K pen that way so have moved away from Spinners on mag chars.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just used Juliano's while leveling and went to dolmen's to upgrade jewelry.
    Once I hit 50 I went and started collecting necro since I have a pet build.
    Checked the golden vendor every Friday and eventually got a monster set (llambris).

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Julianos can be used with the Spinner's Garment set. I swear by Spinner's. The penetration you get helps kill stuff fast, and it's an easy-to-get set for a new player, available in Guild Traders. Farmed in Malabal Tor. https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Spinner's+Garment's+Set

You can also ditch Julianos, and couple Spinner's with a different set that does damage, such as Netch's Touch (easy to farm from a normal-mode, easy 4-man dungeon called Darkshade Caverns, and great for a sorceror) https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Netch's+Touch+Set

Or couple Spinner's with War Maiden, which boosts magic damage, and is super easy to get from Guild Traders. Farmed in Vvardenfell. https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/War+Maiden+Set

Another option for a new player is to pair Spinner's with Mad Tinkerer, which is just a fun set, and also super easy to get from Guild Traders. Farmed in Clockwork City. I don't like this one as much as Netch or War Maiden, though. https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Mad+Tinkerer+Set

All of these are great until you can start farming trials and DLC dungeons.

Obviously, the Netch's Touch suggestion is for sorcerers that don't use pets. But then, that's when Julianos is better too. (Recall that Spell Power doesn't help pet damage.) My pet sorcerer is currently trying Necropotence + Mother's Sorrow again.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on September 22, 2018 10:43PM
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julianos for sorc, to me, is like apple pie. Apple pie is always good with what you want to add or combine with it. I love butter pecan or coconut ice cream with apple pie. Ha ha. Anyways.. I have seen and know practically all gears/sets crafted and drops from the likes of trials, dungeons and whatnot open world, and for this old school dude, I am good without those trial gears. I actually prefer lots other non-trial gears. For PvE, I can care less about mag recovery set; I prefer those giving extra majicka and spell damages; besides, I combine heavy attacks throughout and really no issue with resource management.

All my magsorcs are sporting the Julis for the base. I have one that is Juli/Overwhelming, another with Juli/Necro and a Magwarden with Juli/War Maidens, and even a magDK with Juli/BSW (of course, with different 2-piece monster set for each.) I am rampaging throughout PvE land just fine and mostly soloing; even dungeons and world bosses. Well, those WB in Summerset, damn, they aren't too hard, but I would rather not have to solo a 4-9 mil HP boss pit. Ha ha. Good upgrades to world bosses, though. Kudos for ZOS and the developers/designers for the upgrade in enemies for Summerset.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know you said overland only but since Fungal Grotto I is such a easy group dungeon (probably the easiest of all) i also got myself a set of the "Spider Cultist Cowl" set.

If you're running a destro staff, the 579 extra Spell Damage and 833 Spell Critical are really nice ...
    shades.gif
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good suggestions. I wouldn't use War Maiden on a Magicka Sorc. War Maiden's 5 item bonus: (5 items) Adds 400 Spell Damage to your Magic Damage abilities.

Look closely at the Sorc's abilities. They aren't Magic Damage. War Maiden does wonders though for a Mag Templar which has almost all of it's Class abilities as Magic Damage.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good suggestions. I wouldn't use War Maiden on a Magicka Sorc. War Maiden's 5 item bonus: (5 items) Adds 400 Spell Damage to your Magic Damage abilities.

Look closely at the Sorc's abilities. They aren't Magic Damage. War Maiden does wonders though for a Mag Templar which has almost all of it's Class abilities as Magic Damage.

Yup... also for Magwarden with destro..
  • NyxWrench
    NyxWrench
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that Spinner's is a great set, and provides more damage potential than a lot of people acknowledge because of fears of over-capping penetration*. I personally combine it with Torug's (craftable, requires 3 item traits), since my damage actually goes down when using Julianos.

For someone with non-endgame sets, an Infused Torug's staff with elemental enchantment does more damage than any other source of damage in my parses (ie: higher than Liquid Lightning, Blockade of Storms, etc), and the damage loss from switching to Julianos is greater than the overall increase that Julianos provides to all the other abilities. Surprising, considering what a solid baseline Julianos provides.

The damage also comes automatically with your other damage skills (basic attacks, Blockade, Clench), so you don't need to learn high-precision weaving to get the most out of it. Definitely what I'd recommend for a new player. Though I'd keep Julianos in mind if going for more healing than DPS.

Edit again: Just ignore the below. I can think of more ways to pass the cap now that I'm actually trying to work out the details. Doesn't mean that Spinner's isn't useful, but there's more than one way to skin a cat, as it were.

* The numbers for penetration always seem to use old gear designs, and I'm not even sure the capping is happening for updated set values, and certainly not for newer players. However I can see it if you're using both the penetration mundus and a set like Spinner's, or if you have a lot in the CP star for spell penetration (particularly as the Constellations addon doesn't seem to account for the Destruction Staff passive correctly, and may over-recommend points there).
    Edited by NyxWrench on September 23, 2018 8:49AM
  • jarydf
    jarydf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mad Tinkerer is an inexpensive guild trader purchasable set that pairs nicely with Julianos.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NyxWrench wrote: »
    I agree that Spinner's is a great set, and provides more damage potential than a lot of people acknowledge because of fears of over-capping penetration*. I personally combine it with Torug's (craftable, requires 3 item traits), since my damage actually goes down when using Julianos.

For someone with non-endgame sets, an Infused Torug's staff with elemental enchantment does more damage than any other source of damage in my parses (ie: higher than Liquid Lightning, Blockade of Storms, etc), and the damage loss from switching to Julianos is greater than the overall increase that Julianos provides to all the other abilities. Surprising, considering what a solid baseline Julianos provides.

The damage also comes automatically with your other damage skills (basic attacks, Blockade, Clench), so you don't need to learn high-precision weaving to get the most out of it. Definitely what I'd recommend for a new player. Though I'd keep Julianos in mind if going for more healing than DPS.

Edit again: Just ignore the below. I can think of more ways to pass the cap now that I'm actually trying to work out the details. Doesn't mean that Spinner's isn't useful, but there's more than one way to skin a cat, as it were.

* The numbers for penetration always seem to use old gear designs, and I'm not even sure the capping is happening for updated set values, and certainly not for newer players. However I can see it if you're using both the penetration mundus and a set like Spinner's, or if you have a lot in the CP star for spell penetration (particularly as the Constellations addon doesn't seem to account for the Destruction Staff passive correctly, and may over-recommend points there).

Relying heavily on the damage from Infused enchantments would seem to call for a lot of bar swapping, no?
  • NyxWrench
    NyxWrench
    ✭✭✭
    Relying heavily on the damage from Infused enchantments would seem to call for a lot of bar swapping, no?

Not really? I keep Power Surge and Boundless Storm on the second bar, so swap back to put those back up periodically. Though in mundane fighting (running around doing quests, public dungeons, etc), it's just starting on the second bar, cast the buffs, and then go to the first bar for all the fighting.

The other actions slotted on the second bar are the shield (usually Hardened Ward), a variable slot that I play around with (right now it has Elemental Drain for boss fights, which is another long-term debuff, and I just renew at the same time as Boundless Storm), and something that gives extra magicka (Inner Light or Bound Aegis), plus a healing-type ultimate for emergencies.

Basically, the back bar is buffs and defense options, while the front bar is all the offense stuff (currently: Shock Clench, Crystal Fragments, Liquid Lightning, Blockade of Storms, Inner Light).

Also, remember that weapon enchantments can proc from light attacks, heavy attacks, all the DOT ticks from Blockade, Shock Clench's initial damage, and Shock Clench's DOT effect. If I toss out Blockade and Shock Clench, I don't have to worry about deliberately triggering the enchantment for about 10 seconds. It will automatically happen every 2 seconds.

Aside: Depending on how attacks line up with DOTs, procs can occasionally trigger earlier than 2 seconds, and the best averages I have on long parses is one proc every 1.9 seconds. On short parses, I've gotten as low as every 1.6 seconds. However, every 2 seconds is all you need for this to be useful, and that's basically guaranteed as long as you keep one of the staff DOT abilities up. (It won't proc off of Liquid LIghtning or Boundless Storm, though, since those are class abilities.)

... Actually, thinking about your question, you may be implying that I'm setting up to need to proc the front bar enchantment, then swap and proc the back bar enchantment, and repeat that every single second. That would indeed require a crazy amount of bar swapping. And no, that's not what I'm implying. I'm only counting the damage from the enchantment on the front bar, which requires no real additional effort to maintain.

I still haven't really figured out what to do with the back bar enchantment. The buffs like increased weapon damage only last 5 seconds, and it's too much trouble to try to keep them up fulltime, when I'm not switching to that bar very often. I tried it, but it really didn't seem worth it. It would stay up for maybe 35% of the time even without specifically trying to focus on it on a long parse like the training dummy, but for casual use, I'm not going to be using attacks from the back bar before a fight, so I wouldn't be getting those boosts for most small fights, either.

Currently I have a magicka drain enchantment for a tiny bit of extra sustain as a bonus when I need to return to that bar. I'm still trying to figure out better ideas.

Hmm. Actually, if I put Liquid Lightning and Blockade on the back bar to trigger the back bar's enchantment with DOTs (and keep those two together, since they get cast together), and kept Shock Clench, Crystal Frags, and the buffs on the front bar to trigger the front bar's enchantment (plus Crystal Frag's insta-cast proc)... If I got *both* running full time, that would be a very nice increase in damage. And it wouldn't require any significant increase in bar swapping, because I'd be relying on the DOTs for procs. I'm going to have to try that out to see what happens.
  • NyxWrench
    NyxWrench
    ✭✭✭
    Addendum:

OK, I went and tested it. It appears that only one enchantment can proc at a time, even if you have two possible enchantments running. The lightning enchantment from the front bar dropped drastically in frequency, while the back bar (currently absorb magicka) went way up. The total number of procs from the two of them together made up enough to get one proc every 2 seconds, which is as much as just the front bar produces normally.

So basically, there's a system that prevents you from doubling up on enchantment procs, which makes that idea moot. Just get a strong proc on the front bar, and don't worry about the back bar. You can have something that doesn't need frequent application, if you like.

Also, I'm sort of happy with that answer, because even with the auto-application, the new action layout required far more barswapping, which was a pain. The normal setup is much less troublesome.