The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why so many recipes with same results?

Lord_Wrath
Lord_Wrath
✭✭✭✭✭
Why are there so many food/drink recipes with the same level/stat bonus? I understand they utilize different ingredients but it doesnt seem necessary to need them as ingredients arent hard to get at all. I just feel it is a waste on the server.
1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
Launch Player - PC - NA - EP
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case you missed it this is an MMO.

The developer’s goal is to keep you playing as much as possible ... including players that like to “collect” sets of things like provisioning recipes.

On the upside, it’s more advantageous for newer players ... since the large loot tables will give them a few recipes to progress through provisioning even on their first character.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In case you missed it, this is an MMORPG. Variety helps add a bit of realism. A lot of people these days seem to simply not understand the "RP" part of RPG. Some even go so far as to mock the very idea of immersion. They don't realize that without it what you have is a spreadsheet war.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The different ingredients are potentially beneficial for people who still play without the craft bag. By mixing and matching your recipes, you could try to line up ones that utilize the same 4-6 ingredients rather than just saying, I got my CP150-160 green max stamina recipe regardless of ingredients required. Then the first CP150-160 blue max stamina + max health recip that may require totally different ingredients, and so on.

Also, you're right about ingredients being common, but some are much more common than others. Case in point:

I always craft the Withered Tree Inn Venison Pot Roast food because I have many more ingredients for it than I do for the Longfin Pasty with Melon Sauce. Frost Merriam is always the limiting factor overall, but the secondary ingredients are far more plentiful for the former.

Just saying.... variety is the spice of life, and drives completionists crazy, lol.

Edit for grammar
    Edited by Feric51 on September 12, 2018 2:24PM
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case you missed it this is an MMO.

The developer’s goal is to keep you playing as much as possible ... including players that like to “collect” sets of things like provisioning recipes.

On the upside, it’s more advantageous for newer players ... since the large loot tables will give them a few recipes to progress through provisioning even on their first character.

This is an MMO? Really? I picked a bad week to quit huffing paint....cmon man dont be 'that' guy lol.

I agree only to a small scale, compared to the games lot of recipes and ingredients. There isnt much issue lvling and having ingredients for some recipes. Craft writs drop the same recipes. The ones that sell for 50g are for a reason. There isnt anything special to the recipes that poeple post in guild stores for 1500+ ill never use. There isnt anything else this repetitive in the game. The devs put a time sink in? Sure, maybe but sure seems a bit lazy, no?
    Glurin wrote: »
    In case you missed it, this is an MMORPG. Variety helps add a bit of realism. A lot of people these days seem to simply not understand the "RP" part of RPG. Some even go so far as to mock the very idea of immersion. They don't realize that without it what you have is a spreadsheet war.

Im not sure if youre talking to me or Tale. All these copied recipes do not represent realism and im not mocking or getting into immersion and RP.
    Feric51 wrote: »
    The different ingredients are potentially beneficial for people who still play without the craft bag. By mixing and matching your recipes, you could try to line up ones that utilize the same 4-6 ingredients rather than just saying, I got my CP150-160 green max stamina recipe regardless of ingredients required. Then the first CP150-160 blue max stamina + max health recip that may require totally different ingredients, and so on.

Also, you're right about ingredients being common, but some are much more common than others. Case in point:

I always craft the Withered Tree Inn Venison Pot Roast food because I have many more ingredients for it than I do for the Longfin Pasty with Melon Sauce. Frost Merriam is always the limiting factor overall, but the secondary ingredients are far more plentiful for the former.

Just saying.... variety is the spice of life, and drives completionists crazy, lol.

Edit for grammar

Sorry thought I replied :S
    The biggest filler without craft bags is carrying different level tiers of materials, I remember before we had craft bags your inventory space wasnt awful if you managed correctly. But my point as well with your recipe example, you will always craft the recipe you have more ingredients for, rendering the others useless. Ive noticed far too long that theres always that select few. I agree variety is spice of life but have you seen the lists? Mama mia!
    Edited by Lord_Wrath on September 13, 2018 1:37PM
    1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of this will be historical. When the game first came out, everything was a lot less distributed across the map. Crafting materials were levelled by zone, etc. Alchemy ingredients are still biased by terrain, with nirnroot and water hyacinth growing at water's edge, shrooms next to trees, and so on.

I wasn't playing back then, but I'd assume the same thinking affected provisioning, too, even if it got changed before release. And then there's the master writs that call for a specific recipe, and equivalent effects won't cut it.
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    Part of this will be historical. When the game first came out, everything was a lot less distributed across the map. Crafting materials were levelled by zone, etc. Alchemy ingredients are still biased by terrain, with nirnroot and water hyacinth growing at water's edge, shrooms next to trees, and so on.

I wasn't playing back then, but I'd assume the same thinking affected provisioning, too, even if it got changed before release. And then there's the master writs that call for a specific recipe, and equivalent effects won't cut it.

I started at launch, provisioning materials were still acquired the same way today. They had also redone provisioning at some point a long time ago and introduced new ingredients, rendering the old ones useless and to the merchant.

As far as master writs go, im currently trying to find a list of provisioning master writs, because i dont seem to get a variety of them compared to the list of top CP recipes.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There used to be equivalent recipes for the 3 alliances. This stopped making sense when they introduced One Tamriel and let us travel anywhere. That’s why all the new recipes have only one variant, but all the old ones have 3.
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There used to be equivalent recipes for the 3 alliances. This stopped making sense when they introduced One Tamriel and let us travel anywhere. That’s why all the new recipes have only one variant, but all the old ones have 3.

I have to agree with this as best answer.