The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

First time Buying Crown crates, The disappointment is Real....

shiningforce
shiningforce
✭✭✭
So I have read many people on the forums complaining about crown crates and how they always get junk and its a waste of money.

Well I decided to use crowns I accumulated throughout the months (I never use them) and decided to get 19 crates of the wild hunt.

Out of those crates 8 of those were Wild hunt dance aura cards. No joke, Eight of them! So it was a bit disappointed to say the least and its a bit ridiculous, If you get crates for free i think maybe you have a chance of getting a duplicate could make sense, but if you pay for a crate I dont think duplicates should be a thing.

Although disappointed I now understand what everyone is talking about, I just accumulate crowns through eso plus, glad I didnt pay for them. Its insane how many of the same card I received.
-- It is easy to be a Jerk Online; what do you win? Being Kind people remember you, help you, befriend you and you feel good too.
  • shiningforce
    shiningforce
    ✭✭✭
    glad I didnt pay extra for them *meaning glad I just used eso plus crowns*

Meant to include that- ahh well writing mistakes : )
    -- It is easy to be a Jerk Online; what do you win? Being Kind people remember you, help you, befriend you and you feel good too.
  • Velanthia
    Velanthia
    Matt Firor leaves Palladium in every overland chest he finds
  • shiningforce
    shiningforce
    ✭✭✭
    Velanthia wrote: »

Whoa, thank you for the link, that really puts things into perspective.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not waste money.
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, out of nearly 17,000 crates opened there were 20 radiant apex mounts. A drop rate of 0.1%.
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens
  • Respect4Elders
    Respect4Elders
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    weedgenius wrote: »

Wow, out of nearly 17,000 crates opened there were 20 radiant apex mounts. A drop rate of 0.1%.

So you'd have to buy around 850 crates at a cost of a little over $2k to have a high probability of getting one.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Do not waste money.
    Please re-read the original post.
  • Delpi
    Delpi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So you'd have to buy around 850 crates at a cost of a little over $2k to have a high probability of getting one.

And even doing that you can end without it.. wtf?

"I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee..."
  • Alexsae
    Alexsae
    ✭✭✭
    Well, here's my take on crown crates. I always buy one batch of 15 when new (or new to me) crates are available. I have one goal: get the statue! I figure whatever happens during those 15 crates will have to be good enough. I have never been disappointed. I have 4 apex mounts, one of which I will never use. I have all the statues. I have received surprise pets that made my day. I have received mounts and matching pets and awesome outfits and badass hair. Also, selling back the trash for gems has always guaranteed me the statue I was after.

The crates are fun if you don't take them too seriously.
  • Eliahnus
    Eliahnus
    ✭✭✭
    Alexsae wrote: »

You mean they are fun if you are lucky, as you were.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah crates are pretty terrible and heavily stacked against the consumer getting what they want.

I'm glad Faunter and others put in the effort to gather data so we as a community can see just how bad these are. I still dream that one day these things can be stripped away from the gaming industry. Maybe if EA loses that battle in Belgium?
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • StamWhipCultist
    StamWhipCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had similar experience as OP when I bought my first crown crates. I expected to get rare mount I liked in first 15 crates, since some ppl on youtube had good luck getting them. I got one in my 29th crate, it was storm atro senche, and it is still up to date my favorite one.

I might be spending a bit too much on crates, I have about 1.2k crown gems and every themed senche from crown seasons.
    I wish there was a way to get ultra rare mounts with anything but pure rng, since Id love to get them as well, but cant spend 2k euros on crates per season lol
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at this just makes me so very sad. :(
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Darkmage1337
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,800.
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eliahnus wrote: »

You mean they are fun if you are lucky, as you were.

The crates are fun if they are free.
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never been disappointed. I have 4 apex mounts, one of which I will never use.

The only Apex Mount I ever pulled was a Dwarven Camel (I certainly would never buy it) and never use it except for a few minutes at a time to Troll people with my horrible RNG and mount that nobody wants...

I have not bought Crown Crates since the Dwarven theme first dropped, To my recollection. I just hoard my gems and use them to buy the occasional item I actually want but I do not **** with Radiant Apex. If I wanted to gamble, I'd bet on something I actually have a chance of winning. With odds like that you might as well drain your bank account on the ACTUAL Lottery with the potential to win Real Life Millions instead of Pixels... Then you could, in turn, afford to buy 17,000 Crates to ensure you get a Radiant Apex.
  • Grayfax
    Grayfax
    ✭✭✭
    I have been lucky with my crates (out of 2 Wild Hunt, I got the Wild Hunt Sensche). I don't have expectations going in, so whatever I get is good. In general, I get whatever the free monthly ones are, but I did buy some Psijic ones just in case I got a mount. I have gotten a bevy of pets and costumes that are cool and useful occasionally. I figure after I've been around for a while I'll be able to hang on to gems to get some of the other mounts I want, but so far, I've always had things I wanted and had to choose. I need to be buying more statues... #truth
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What'd you expect? You gambled in a game that's designed to beat you & take your money in exchange for dubious non-rewards.
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally get 2 of the 15 packs per season. Sometimes more if there was a decent crown sale and I'm sitting on a ton of crowns. I pretty much can get everything on my want list between the 30 crates and the gems I gather. The biggest key is I don't even look at radiant apex mounts. Just forget about those completely. I pulled the plague horse which is pretty cool, but I figure my good luck with rng is probably used up for the remainder of my time with ESO.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least with a slot machine they list the payouts and odds. I think, usually. So much info on those it's hard to make sense of. I'm surprised that Crown Crate Tracker site someone linked to hasn't got a cease and desist letter from ZOS...
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Yeah crates are pretty terrible and heavily stacked against the consumer getting what they want.

I'm glad Faunter and others put in the effort to gather data so we as a community can see just how bad these are. I still dream that one day these things can be stripped away from the gaming industry. Maybe if EA loses that battle in Belgium?

Only way to strip this stuff from the game industry is to outlaw it (regulations are bad so, no) or boycott it. And when I see people complain about the grind and the crates and then say they're going to go do it anyway because they have to in order to get their motif or horse and put a :/ at the end of their sentence, I know that no one will ever boycott the industry practices.

I don't know what you refer to regarding EA and Belgium. The response there will be to either pull out of the Belgium market or develop the Belgium version to adhere to the law. The decision will be made by experts in the industry that run numbers. The most profitable decision will be made.

There's really no simpler way to put it. No further discussion is going to change anything. These companies exist to make money for their boards, employees, and shareholders. The satisfaction of the customer is only a concern so far as profitability is concerned. That is, your complains mean nothing if you are making them with your wallet open.
    Edited by qbit on September 12, 2018 9:02PM
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    These crates are only a waste of money if you go in expecting something... If you buy these for consumables and oddities they are a good deal..

I opened 38 crates, and got 3 mounts nearly all the cosmetics and i purchased two more mounts with gems.. Now yes thats a heavy fee for gaming but what i got in those 38 crates was far superior to if i tried to buy all that separately in crowns..

Now yes i agree Crates are crap and gambling but the odds you'll get something in these is still worth more than buying items..

I do not condone these things but if they ever removed them the crown store would need to drastically drop prices of everything to equal what you get in a crown crate, and Zos would never do that..
  • Rackdaniels
    Rackdaniels
    ✭✭✭
    Talking about doubles but how about triples and those 3 crates I got mimic stones were all opened within minute.That psijic crate I opened,I just had to save pic because I’m not sure what are the odds for that,maybe even lower than get radiant apex mounts,so maybe I can call myself lucky😀I only use eso sub crowns for crates cause there is nothing I need nor want from a shop.

https://imgur.com/gallery/NMcipLX
    Edited by Rackdaniels on September 16, 2018 5:09PM
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, here's my take on crown crates. I always buy one batch of 15 when new (or new to me) crates are available. I have one goal: get the statue! I figure whatever happens during those 15 crates will have to be good enough. I have never been disappointed. I have 4 apex mounts, one of which I will never use. I have all the statues. I have received surprise pets that made my day. I have received mounts and matching pets and awesome outfits and badass hair. Also, selling back the trash for gems has always guaranteed me the statue I was after.

Have you ever thought about how much money you spend for an indirect purchase or accumulating enough secondary made up currency (gems) to get it as opposed to be able to 'just' buy it via crowns? You really consider this to be fun?
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This really needs to be an actual search engine optimized website instead of a direct mirror of a Google Doc.

It needs to show up on Google for terms like "crown crate percentages" and so on.

Who owns the "crowncrates.com" domain name? I'm sure many would love to help with the site.

Edited by Lake on September 16, 2018 5:23PM
  • Alexsae
    Alexsae
    ✭✭✭

Have you ever thought about how much money you spend for an indirect purchase or accumulating enough secondary made up currency (gems) to get it as opposed to be able to 'just' buy it via crowns? You really consider this to be fun?

I do consider it fun, because I'm not trying for anything but a statue. (Trying for an Apex is the path to madness and financial ruin.) I love the surprise things I've gotten along the way that I didn't even know I wanted. These are things I would never have gone to the crown store to buy, but I'm very happy to have after all.

For example, I recently got the ancestor moth pet. As I was looking at my house, I realized I had a dead body plus 4 Urns on a ritual table..aaand there are 5 Ancestor moths on that pet that would look pretty hot fluttering above those dead things! So, a surprise pet turns into the perfect detail on my Creepy Table of Death. Yep, I do enjoy the crown crates. :smiley:
    Edited by Alexsae on September 19, 2018 1:28AM
  • tim99
    tim99
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do consider it fun, because I'm not trying for anything but a statue. (Trying for an Apex is the path to madness and financial ruin.) I love the surprise things I've gotten along the way that I didn't even know I wanted. These are things I would never have gone to the crown store to buy, but I'm very happy to have after all.

For example, I recently got the ancestor moth pet. As I was looking at my house, I realized I had a dead body plus 4 Urns on a ritual table..aaand there are 5 Ancestor moths on that pet that would look pretty hot fluttering above those dead things! So, a surprise pet turns into the perfect detail on my Creepy Table of Death. Yep, I do enjoy the crown crates. :smiley:

picture pls :)
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't even...

RNG is just agony
  • Ashilda_Dragonheart
    I've never gotten an apex mount or anything really rare. I have a lot of costumes, but other than that I never get anything I really want.
  • Alexsae
    Alexsae
    ✭✭✭
    tim99 wrote: »

picture pls :)

LOL Here are the moths, which are definitely more fun when they flutter.

Creepy1.JPG

And here's my second favorite surprise pet.

Creepy2.JPG
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It is worse than people realize because probability and statistics are difficult and non-intuitive. If the drop rate of a Radiant Apex Mount is 0.118% (that is roughly 1 in 850), that means that you will not get a Radiant Apex Mount 99.882% of the time. So what are your odds of not getting a Radiant Apex Mount from 850 straight crates? It is 0.99882 multiplied by 0.99882 multiplied by 0.99882, and so on, 850 times.

0.99882 ^ 850 = 0.3666. That means that you will not get a Radiant Apex Mount 36.66% of the time and you will get a Radiant Apex Mount the remainder of the time. That is, 1 - 0.3666 = 0.6334 = 63.34% of the time.

Thus, a 1 in 850 chance does not mean that you are "highly likely" to get something after 850 attempts. It means that you are "more likely than not" to get it after 850 attempts. And 63.34% does, indeed, mean that your odds of getting a Radiant Apex Mount after 850 attempts are higher than your odds of not getting a Radiant Apex Mount. But 63.34% is not what people intuitively think of as "highly likely".

What would "highly likely" mean to most people? Maybe 90%? Well, when your odds are 1 in 850, the number of attempts where you reach 90% likely to succeed is about 1950 attempts.