The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Problem with batch crafting, and possible workaround?

Feric51
Feric51
✭✭✭✭✭
Okay, we've all seen them. 6.022 x10^23 posts wanting, begging, pleading, demanding for batch crafting in ESO. Most of this revolves around the consumables - i.e. Alchemy and Provisioning - but would also be nice in certain instances for all the crafting skill lines. Want to craft 3 plain rubedite daggers to stockpile for future writs? *Bam* (Emeril Lagasse style) there you go!

This has been requested for years, so what's the hold up from ZOS? Maybe it's not as simple as it looks. It got me wondering a month or so back when someone talked about getting kicked from the game for excessive xp gains when turning in a stockpile of master writs. Crafting, especially the consumables, works on a similar system, albeit smaller scale. Each item you craft grants you inspiration towards leveling that skill line, and varies depending on the level of item you craft. Those inspiration gain calculations takes time to process, and may (or may not) put a load on the server each time it processes them. Granted, this load is tiny as inspiration directly affects only that skill line and does not grant xp to all skills like turning in a master writ, but if you think about taking that small amount of strain and multiplying by 200-2,000, as many of the batch crafters want, and dump that load onto the server instantaneously, things might begin to lag, frame rate might drop, people might get kicked, frustration may ensue.

Could this be why ZOS has been reluctant to introduce batch crafting?

Maybe it's from a different perspective. Maybe it's all about the time sink... Leveling Alchemy or Provisioning to 50 (provided you have recipes/reagents for each tier, and skill points necessary to keep raising the passive when you start) can be leveled in 15-30 minutes depending on your finger pressing skills. With batch crafting, you could craft 3,000 level 19 food/drinks (arbitrary number, don't assault my math) or likewise with the requisite number of sips of health and, in one fell swoop, level from 1-50 in either of those skills instantly. It's a small time sink, but perhaps this is still in the back of their minds.

So how about a workaround that bypasses both of these issues... a Batch Crafting passive for each skill line. Only able to be unlocked one you've reached level 50 in any skill line, this passive removes any inspiration gain from crafting items in its respective skill line, and because it requires skill level 50 to be reached, prevents any "instant leveling" aspects. Removing the inspiration gain calculations from the equation would undoubtedly reduce the server strain, and might just be an idea worth considering.

Two approaches to this passive could be:
*My vote* 1.) A single skill point that grants the ability to craft up to a certain number. 100? A stack? 1,000? Unlimited?
2.) Multiple skill points (x/4) that unlock increasing tiers. (1/4) = up to 10 items, (2/4) = 50, (3/4) = 100, (4/4) = 200

*Note: I have no knowledge of programming, and don't presume to know if batch crafting would even add any additional strain to the server, but it just seemed plausible. This is just my idea of something to implement that might be remotely considered by ZOS.
Feric51
Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)