The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Strange Launcher Issue

Shantu
Shantu
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Upgrading to W10 version 1803 created some issues for me. Back in April I submitted a support ticket because the launcher would get stuck on the 'Loading...' screen. Bethesda support could not help. I resolved the issue by rolling back the OS to the previous version. A couple months ago I thought I'd give 1803 another shot. Well, same problem. But this time, by pure chance, I opened my Firefox browser and navigated to a website while the launcher was still stuck on loading. To my surprise, the launcher finished loading and all was good. Now each time I start the launcher it still gets stuck on the loading screen but I resolve the issue by starting up Firefox and loading a web page. I've testing this out by just letting the launcher sit to see if it was a timing issue. But it will not get past the loading screen no matter how long I wait. Then as soon as I boot Firefox, load a web page, the launcher will finish loading.

Not a huge issue for me as I can use this method to get the launcher to load, but I'm very curious as to why the launcher opens ONLY when I open Firefox and load some content. Something on my system is definitely amiss.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a group of sites in a "Push Load" folder in Pale Moon browser to "assist" with getting the game to load to char select screen. Mostly I think my issue is because of satellite (only "broadband" I have available where I live) - but it works fine. I start the game using eso64.exe which is pinned to my taskbar, and once I've input my account name and the pw, then I start the Push Load sites in the browser, and by the time they're finished loading, the game is requesting login.

Whole lot faster than re-inserting pw and clicking login over and over. Oh, I've never upgraded win10 that far. I'm still back a fair number of releases - all I do is grab security updates.... I have a little app that lets me pick and choose what I get when I tell it to update.
    Edited by Sylvermynx on August 25, 2018 11:23PM
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hmm, doesn't the issue I described make any of you ZOS developers the least bit curious? I'm a software developer by trade and it sure makes me wonder what's going on. If the software I develop couldn't boot without running some other unrelated program first, I'd sure want to know why. :/
  • THWIP71
    THWIP71
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shantu wrote: »
    Hmm, doesn't the issue I described make any of you ZOS developers the least bit curious? I'm a software developer by trade and it sure makes me wonder what's going on. If the software I develop couldn't boot without running some other unrelated program first, I'd sure want to know why. :/

Literally the ONLY thing ZOS cares about is $$...has been that way since ESO:TU , and has gotten even worse. Every content update and/or patch brings it's own set of problems, and often necros old ones. They literally receive thousands of error reports, tickets, and forum messages....and they often don't even respond, let alone actually bother fixing anything.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    THWIP71 wrote: »
    Shantu wrote: »

Literally the ONLY thing ZOS cares about is $$...has been that way since ESO:TU , and has gotten even worse. Every content update and/or patch brings it's own set of problems, and often necros old ones. They literally receive thousands of error reports, tickets, and forum messages....and they often don't even respond, let alone actually bother fixing anything.

Well, I understand that if they don't make money, there is no ESO. But still, I hope someone has the courtesy to send Mozilla a thank you note for enabling their launcher to function properly. Without it, they wouldn't have just received my sub renewal.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you looked at what changed in update 1803 to see if you can figure out what might have affected your game? I've been looking here but don't know what some of the stuff is......... https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-10-1803-removed-features

Are you on a laptop?
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hippie4927 wrote: »
    Have you looked at what changed in update 1803 to see if you can figure out what might have affected your game? I've been looking here but don't know what some of the stuff is......... https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-10-1803-removed-features

Are you on a laptop?

Nope, on a desktop I purchased awhile back for gaming. I've wracked my brain with this. Opened TCPView and watched what the network connections were doing. The Launcher will just sit there at the Loading screen, TCPView showing it in a "Listening" state. I've let it sit for a few hours just to test. It will not make a connection (or receive a connection) to external servers. I've tested with starting Microsoft Edge. It does nothing. Then as soon as I boot Firefox and navigate to a page, TCPView will show the launcher making connections to various servers and load correctly.

I've double-checked Firewall settings, anti-virus, and updated network drivers. The only difference in my system was an update to W10 1803. I had the same issue back in April when 1803 was first released. Spent a week with Bethesda support (which is another rant). Only thing that fixed was roll the OS back to the previous version. I found this Firefox "fix" purely by accident when I decided to give 1803 another try.

From what TCPView shows, the launcher can neither send nor receive data until Firefox gives it a "boost".