The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Game Runs Horribly Ever Since Monday's Patch

Dottzgaming
Dottzgaming
✭✭✭✭✭
Have a brand new powerhouse computer, and ever since monday's patch it feels like im on a potato whenever i play ESO.

Ever since monday, the game has been running like absolute crap on my PC, especially when i stream. Really laggy, constantly dropping frames, etc. Nothing has changed in the last week except ESO updating. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling OBS, all my stuff is up to date, i tried disabling addons, im 99% sure the issue is ESO. Especially because now suddenly ESO isnt being picked up by my NVIDIA GeForce Experience. Some others had a similar problem in this thread: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/431812/game-is-no-longer-detected-by-nvidia-geforce-experience#latest

Please help. The game has been almost unplayable all week. I cant do anything outside of just basic farming and what not because i just constantly am dropping frames.
Edited by Dottzgaming on August 24, 2018 3:22AM
  • Dottzgaming
    Dottzgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also tried repairing ESO and that did not help
    In addition, my current problems only are with ESO. World of Warcraft runs fine with 0 issues.
    Edited by Dottzgaming on August 24, 2018 3:39AM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    One more troubleshooting step you can attempt is completely re-installing ESO on your PC. Steps for uninstalling ESO can be found here. Once uninstalled, you can run the launcher again to re-install the game.

If you still have issues after a complete re-install, we would recommend starting a ticket with customer support.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • valeriiya
    valeriiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it when the mods hop on a thread to announce troubleshooting steps because not once has it ever been a problem with ZO$, it's always the players.
  • Dottzgaming
    Dottzgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    One more troubleshooting step you can attempt is completely re-installing ESO on your PC. Steps for uninstalling ESO can be found here. Once uninstalled, you can run the launcher again to re-install the game.

If you still have issues after a complete re-install, we would recommend starting a ticket with customer support.

Ill try a full re-install and post back with the results
  • Dottzgaming
    Dottzgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just finished the reinstall, I'll give it a full stress test in a few hours
    Edited by Dottzgaming on August 24, 2018 10:03PM
  • Dottzgaming
    Dottzgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me see if i can try and clarify more and add more detail in case it doesn't work

The crux of the issue is that GeForce Experience isnt picking up ESO as a game, I am getting massive FPS lag, spikes, and other issues, and these problems get further exacerbated if I am streaming. Also, if there is any other movement on my other 2 monitors (video, obs preview, etc), things get even worse.

I have had no driver, windows, or other types of updates. Everything was perfectly fine and none of these issues were present until monday, when the only thing that updated was ESO. Since then, the game has basically been unplayable. This issue is only present with ESO, none of my other games have this. I know @Inklings is suffering the same issues i am as well, so i dont think my computer is an isolated incident.

My graphics card is a 1080 TI , processor is a Ryzen 2700X, 32GB RAM.
    Edited by Dottzgaming on August 24, 2018 10:03PM
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can now make a customer support ticket and challenge someone to find the best copy/paste response for your inquiry and see how long you can keep going back and forth. The issue is their choice of engine does not lend itself well to running on multiple CPU cores. So your powerhouse PC has like 18% CPU utilization while ESO runs at 40 FPS. But hey, your GPU is probably at like 60%, so crank up that DSR and anti-aliasing and bask in the glory of beautiful images running at 40 FPS.

Edit: I'm going to guess the game isn't picked up in GForce Experience since the hash for the executable changed after update. But no one really uses that software. I also have to manually add eso64.exe to the Nvidia control panel for it to be recognized. I assume due to exe hash changing.
    Edited by qbit on August 24, 2018 8:04PM
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    valeriiya wrote: »
    I love it when the mods hop on a thread to announce troubleshooting steps because not once has it ever been a problem with ZO$, it's always the players.

And the mod is thinking, "wow yet another idiot that can't defrag his SSD or just simply reinstall the game. We don't know why we suggest this stuff, but it's what we are told to do. The longer it takes the user, the better. Then it can the be the next shift's problem."

Edit: Next they add to troubleshooting script to set jumbo frames on your network adapter. To ensure your packets are fragmented before they get to ZOS. This will make the defragging of the SSD more effective. Also, enable hardware virtualization in your BIOS. And reset your CMOS. But above all else, reinstall the game at least three times and run the repair option. You need to check your md5 hashes again and again because those can get changed when you die from lag.
    Edited by qbit on August 24, 2018 8:12PM
  • Dottzgaming
    Dottzgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The complete reinstall didnt do anything. The game is running just as poorly as it did prior.
    here is a video example: https:// www.twitch.tv/videos/301457702

(just take the space out between the // and the URL. for some reason posting the URL here didnt work.)
    Edited by Dottzgaming on August 24, 2018 11:29PM
  • AerunSun
    AerunSun
    ✭✭

I've got a similar experience. Dit a COMPLETE reinstall of my system. ESO won't even be recognized by NVIDIA. I Had contact with NVDIA (see relevent thread) prior to the reinstall, they've concluded (merely as Witcher, ESV, Mordor etc.) where found) it was an ESO issue.

A mate from me who's not on the forum (Sister666) has the same problems. He even Installed a new MSI 1080, reïnstalled his system and ; nada!
    • Bosmer Girl since Morrowind 2002
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Ye ok, cos for many people it was working fine before mondays patch, but since it is nothing to do with hotfixing a exploit or Crown Store flashy reskinned crap, it can just be added onto the ever mounting list of issues you do nothing about or pay lip service lying stonewalling crap to fool the gullible you are remotely competent, or every so often actually do some work to fix isues and fix some, yet break other parts of the game.

My settings work fine still but I can only imagine the frustration of downloading the game again or whatever and still have the same issue, as sure the problem wont be at your end, oh no.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Dottzgaming
    Dottzgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty much at the point right now where the game isn't playable. I've tried a million different things on my end: new monitor cables, different ports, rolling back drivers, test streams, uninstalling certain softwares, disabling/uninstalling all add-ons, messing with refresh rates, full reinstall, game repair, nothing works.
    Edited by Dottzgaming on August 25, 2018 4:40PM
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dottzgaming
    Have you checked your task manager and see if "Antimalware Service Executable" is taking up abnormal amount of cpu%? I had to disable it about a week ago.

It took 30% when idle and double and more when it did something.
    Edited by Yakidafi on August 25, 2018 6:42PM
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • Dottzgaming
    Dottzgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay! So after a LOT of troubleshooting I think I found out my issue, I am not 100% sure but I think I got it. The problem is two-pronged, and going to be expensive to fix. The most confusing thing about this is why I did not have the issue from the beginning of getting my new PC, but I have it now, so I have to do what I gotta do to fix it. To give some background here, I have 3 monitors: one 144hz and two 60hz.

The core of my issue was that whenever I streamed, I appeared to get massive FPS clamping on my main monitor, and get frequent FPS spikes. I started to notice this on Monday, after both my OBS and ESO updated. Now I didn’t realize in the beginning that these were being caused by two separate problems and thought it stemmed from the same issue. I tried rolling back OBS to the previous update, and it didn’t fix it, so in my brain I suspected ESO had to be the issue. I tried reinstalling the game, repairing it, disabling all addons, fully uninstalling all addons, nothing worked to solve BOTH issues. I did however notice however that whenever I had a moving picture on either of my 60hz monitors I would get that FPS clamping, so I streamed with no moving pictures on either monitor, but was still getting the FPS spiking whenever I was in combat, but no clamping.

So after doing some research, I’ve come to realize that Windows 10 doesnt like when you have 2 different refresh rates coming out of your GPU. If you have a moving picture on a side 60hz monitor while your primary monitor is playing a game at 144hz, it’ll clamp the FPS of the primary monitor to that of the side monitors. This is a really frustrating issue that is seen in Windows 10 that doesnt, and frankly will never, have a fix (NVIDIA pretty much said they arent able to because it’s a windows 10 problem). So unfortunately, the fix to this issue is that I have to buy two more 144hz monitors. Which sucks that I gotta drop a couple hundred bucks on more monitors, but it is what it is.

Now the second problem was the FPS spiking. I had come to realize I never tested ESO with all addons off AND no moving picture on a second monitor. Turned off all my addons, just had ESO running, and the game ran smoothly. I just have to figure out which adodn is the cause of the problem, which isnt a big deal and will just be some trial and error.

I have to say though that this was one of the most challenging troubleshooting issues I’ve face in a long time. If I can give anyone a piece of advice; if you have an NVIDIA graphics card and windows 10, be VERY VERY careful about running different refresh rates. Massive thanks to ZoS for reaching out to me and trying to work with me to figure out this issue as well as other streamers/viewers who have been trying to help me as well. It makes me really happy how so many people wanted to help me troubleshoot this issue so I could get back on my “streaming feet” so to speak.

Thanks everyone :) Let’s pray the new monitors do the trick. Gonna be rush ordering these now so I can be ready for Monday.
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    qbit wrote: »
    valeriiya wrote: »

And the mod is thinking, "wow yet another idiot that can't defrag his SSD or just simply reinstall the game. We don't know why we suggest this stuff, but it's what we are told to do. The longer it takes the user, the better. Then it can the be the next shift's problem."

Edit: Next they add to troubleshooting script to set jumbo frames on your network adapter. To ensure your packets are fragmented before they get to ZOS. This will make the defragging of the SSD more effective. Also, enable hardware virtualization in your BIOS. And reset your CMOS. But above all else, reinstall the game at least three times and run the repair option. You need to check your md5 hashes again and again because those can get changed when you die from lag.

I think you're my new hero. My sarcasm detector also just exploded in my face, causing massive disfigurement. I'm in love.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Greybeards & Gals Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild