Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Launcher doesn't launch game after I press Play

HoneygirlSantine
HoneygirlSantine
Soul Shriven
I can open the ESO launcher from Steam just fine, but when I click the blue play button, it greys out (like the game is about to start) and the game does not launch. When I check the Task Manager, it says that ESO.exe is running, but there is no window. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, repairing, changing the UserSettings files, updating to the latest drivers, running as admin, restarting the computer multiple times, everything I can think of doing and that appeared as a solution when I looked up the problem online. It worked one time when I reinstalled NVidia's latest graphics drivers, but after that it went back to its former behavior. Is there any fix for this that I haven't tried yet and/or that will work?
The tears that fall
from my wet eyes,
they are not mine
--and other lies.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @HoneygirlSantine

One more thing you should check is your anti-virus and firewall exceptions.

The application files that may require exceptions are:
    • Bethesda.net_launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\Launcher
    • ESO.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe
    • Steam.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe
    • ESO64.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso64.exe

Some antivirus programs require entire folders to be selected instead of a single file.When this is the case, the file paths below are what players should use. If required by the anti-virus program, include all subfolders since every file is critical to run the game.
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • HoneygirlSantine
    HoneygirlSantine
    Soul Shriven
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @HoneygirlSantine

One more thing you should check is your anti-virus and firewall exceptions.

I tried this, too. In fact, I even tried turning the firewall completely off and running the program. No effect.
    The tears that fall
    from my wet eyes,
    they are not mine
    --and other lies.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @HoneygirlSantine

Please respond back to support in ticket #180822-001562. Our support team can investigate further into what is preventing the game from launching.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • TempPlayer
    TempPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same issue yesterday and after spending an hour to figuring out what happen, I found out that the main cause was the setting file.
    Delete or move the file to different folder, then start the ESO. It should start and ask you to accept the agreement again.
    After that, maybe write protect the setting file should prevent it from changing.
    Edited by TempPlayer on August 24, 2018 3:29AM