The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Gold rewards for crafting writs, what determines them? Skill level? Character level?

bee_tiswasnot
bee_tiswasnot
✭✭✭
Ok, so a character needs to be level 6 to do writs, but (call me slow) I have noticed that a character at this level only gets 253 gold per completed writ, while a character at level 50 is getting 633 gold for the same writ, despite only having a couple of points in that crafting tree. The level 50 character has a dozen levels in the skill concerned, and my question is: does the character level, or the particular skill level determine the payment? Apols for asking if this is generally known, but having spent an hour or two searching, none of the usual sources provide any help on this one!
Edited by bee_tiswasnot on August 21, 2018 5:30PM
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The gold reward is based purely on the character level.
  • HidesFromSun
    HidesFromSun
    ✭✭✭
    It's your character level :)

I've got a character under level 50 that'll get around 300 gold for doing the max tier writs. I've also got a CP character that does tier 1 writs and gets the full 664 gold
  • bee_tiswasnot
    bee_tiswasnot
    ✭✭✭
    Ta for all the replies. Looks like I will need to go out and start bashing things.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget that there are three rewards for a writ. The gold, the package of stuff, and the inspiration. Gold depends on character level, inspiration and package on crafting level (and helps increase that level). Once you've capped out the craft level and rank, you become eligible for the Master writs and the voucher rewards from that.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    Don't forget that there are three rewards for a writ. The gold, the package of stuff, and the inspiration. Gold depends on character level, inspiration and package on crafting level (and helps increase that level). Once you've capped out the craft level and rank, you become eligible for the Master writs and the voucher rewards from that.

um, no.

if by 'package' you mean the bit of gear you get from say a blacksmith writ then (assuming your character is cp160 but the craft is not maxed) the reward is pretty evenly split between cp160 and craft level.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think he meant the crate of refined materials, which is purely a function of crafting level and rng. My experience with the item drop (intricate/ornate) matches yours, split between character level and craft level.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "package" I referred to is e.g. "Clothier Satchel X" which is provided for a level ten clothier writ.

Howevr, it contains the item drop, and the shipment of materials or survey, and/or Master Writ when applicable. The package itself is crafting level, but its contents may factor in character level, just to complicate further. The material shipment, if you get one, is at a random level below your crafting one, except at the first two levels, where you can only get Iron/Jute/Rawhide/Maple. Things like Provisioning Recipes complicate it all even more, so I was trying to avoid getting into all that.
  • silvermistktralasub17_ESO
    For explanation, the gold (cash) for writs is based off of character level, broken into 10 level increments. Furthermore, gold crafting materials (tempers), tend to be based off of crafting passives. Both are important to consider, when doing crafting. Also, if you have sufficient characters doing writs to do this, it is a good idea to have one or more characters doing lower level provisioning writs, because the writ boxes for those characters will often contain recipes that are hard to acquire otherwise. It's a nice bonus for me, since I have most of my 15 characters doing max level provisioning writs, but I have one each at the prior 4 tiers, so I can often hand over recipes to characters that sped through the levels too fast to find them.

@Alassirana

SneakyBo, ExSO_Gold, Demure Dragon Dealings
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    search harder: the reward is "scaled gold"... scaled to your character level.
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    And even one more aspect, there is also an XP reward from normal and master writs and it is also scaled to character level. At CP160+, with ESO+, 30 CP Tower, and Enlightenment, a max tier writ can award 3288+ XP each. (max base XP reward from any source is at CP160 and does not scale higher with any more CP)

That XP reward also benefits from XP potions/scrolls as well as XP events, so normal and master writs can also be a quick and easy XP farm if you have the resources to do them.
    Edited by SpAEkus on September 5, 2018 2:40PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »

um, no.

if by 'package' you mean the bit of gear you get from say a blacksmith writ then (assuming your character is cp160 but the craft is not maxed) the reward is pretty evenly split between cp160 and craft level.
    You get gold and an package who contain some materials and gear. Mat is random level from 1 to crating level, gear is either crafting or character level and ornate or intricate.
    You also has an chance for an survey map and master writ at 50.
    Gold is based on character level like all quest rewards.

And level 6 or higher explains why my new character can not do writs.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main crafter gets 670 gold per daily writ. It should be 671 though. #Diplomat
    Edited by Sordidfairytale on September 6, 2018 4:31PM
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos