The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Question about 5/1/1 armor setup

Finedaible
Finedaible
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I see a lot of player builds for stamina DD (Stamblade mostly) saying you should have 5 medium, 1 heavy and 1 light armor pieces. I understood this is for the Undaunted Mettle passive, but what good is a little extra magicka on a stamina build that doesn't use magicka abilities? Wouldn't it be better to get more resistances, health, and Constitution return from 2 heavy armor pieces (5 med, 2 heavy)? I was looking at light armor passives and aside from a little spell resistance (which we get more of using 2 heavy), I'm not sure how it's benefiting their builds. Maybe someone can enlighten me? Thanks for any info you can provide.
  • testd4n1
    testd4n1
    ✭✭✭
    6% vs 4% increased stam.
    Increase your Max Health, Stamina and Magicka by 2% per type of Armor (Heavy, Medium, Light) that you have equipped.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a good question, and it does depend on what you are focus on. But its about pool size, full mettle passive gives you 2% per armour type. So 5:1:1 is a 4% gain on all bars over 7 heavy (as you would still get 2% as thats one type) so you get 4% more health and 4% more Stamina.

So depending on your setup, that may give you a gain over 7 or 5:2 - but its personal.

For Magika setups in PVP its clear cut, you need all resources. i'm not a stamina guy tho to answer your specific question
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought medium were better with a full 7 setup due to the medium armor crit passive. Maybe some armor sets negate the need for more crit and the extra % from Undaunted Mettle is better.

The differences aren't going to be huge whatever is chosen, although in a trials situation things can change with all the group buffs (stat buff and crit damage buff from war horn comes to mind).

EDIT:In PvP I tend to use heavy whenever I can for the extra health and resistances and get my recovery etc from drinks/food, although my sorc is 5/1/1 for the mag passives health and extra stam. It's pretty much down to your play style too.
    Edited by Zorgon_The_Revenged on August 21, 2018 3:54PM
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I should have prefaced that my main is Khajiit stamblade. My frontbar crit chance sits at 60-61% currently as I heard that's good amount to stop at (5 med, 2 heavy). 7 Medium seems to be the best way to maximize dps for my character, but even with food, i find it hard to achieve 17k health without speccing into hp or enchants. I'm just not sure what's the best way to get 17-18k health without compromising damage. Khajiit's low pool stats seem hard to work with.
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I had this problem with my Khajiit. In a raid setting you often have a health buff from the tank wearing Ebon armor, but it does have a range and if the tank dies you lose the buff.

The devs were going to give a bit more stamina on one of the Khajiit passives when the racial passives got an update, but a lot of players (no doubt redguard players :D ) complained, saying Khajiit were the highest DPS stam class and didn't need the buff.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, I had this problem with my Khajiit. In a raid setting you often have a health buff from the tank wearing Ebon armor, but it does have a range and if the tank dies you lose the buff.

The devs were going to give a bit more stamina on one of the Khajiit passives when the racial passives got an update, but a lot of players (no doubt redguard players :D ) complained, saying Khajiit were the highest DPS stam class and didn't need the buff.

I still feel bitter about them withdrawing that buff. I'd take a max hp buff at this point though. Any max stat would be an improvement.
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    You not only gain 3% more Crit chance from 7 medium, but also 8% more Stamina recovery and 4% cost reduction. So the 4% loss of undaunted buff is offset in more ways than one, it's an efficient way to gain resource maintenance.

Alternatively, if you like to stack resources, 6 medium + 1 heavy is pretty good. It offers +4% stamina and +6% health (4% from undaunted and 2% from heavy armor passives), +1.5% Crit, 4% recovery and 2% cost reduction. Switching from 5/1/1 to 6/1 is the single most efficient trade-off you can make to gain better resource maintenance, although it's a small gain.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is mostly a matter of race you have chosen. as much as i know khajiit get a bit more out of a 5/1/1 setup, since they already have high crit but lower resource pools. meanwhile redguards would gladly get a bit more crit.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your all of your responses. Wish i had asked this before buying Stormfist helmet last weekend in heavy for my stamblade. Oh well.
  • testd4n1
    testd4n1
    ✭✭✭
    Finedaible wrote: »
    Thanks for your all of your responses. Wish i had asked this before buying Stormfist helmet last weekend in heavy for my stamblade. Oh well.

You usually want heavy on one of your 'big' pieces. This is head, chest and legs. They give you the most resistances. You optimally want medium/light on a small piece, feet, hands, belt, shoulders. They give you the least resistances with belt being the lowest.

Usually however, you go with heavy helm and light/medium shoulders for a dps setup since sets either drop in light or medium.