Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Nirhoned Versus Sharpened?

Tonestar34
Which is better do you think? I always thought surely you can not go past sharpened... But then I read somewhere someone like sharpened better when it comes to bows.

Best Answer

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends more of whether or not you need penetration for the content you're running. So in a group where you expect to reach max penetration, nirnhoned would be better for the extra weapon damage. In PVP, where penetration is almost always useful, I'd expect sharpened to be more generally useful.
    Answer ✓
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I looked into it, which was quite some time ago, it all came down to how much penetration you could get without it.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nirnhoned will also buff your healing sharpened will not, so you have to think about that too.
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about in PVE?
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also depends on the weapon, main/off hand, stam/mag etc...
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Tonestar34
    I had no idea nirhoned also buffed your healing. So with sharpened you need to put points into penetration. I was wondering what the point of penetration was... Still not quite clear on it... I actually hadn't put any cp points into it because I didn't understand what it was.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tonestar34 wrote: »
    I had no idea nirhoned also buffed your healing. So with sharpened you need to put points into penetration. I was wondering what the point of penetration was... Still not quite clear on it... I actually hadn't put any cp points into it because I didn't understand what it was.

Penetration overcomes physical and spell resistances.

So in PVE, most mobs have about 9k resistances and bosses have around 18k resistances. In a group, you'll get certain amounts of penetration from group buffs and debuffs. For example, your tank can provide Major Fracture and Major Breach by using the Pierce Armor taunt, which debuffs physical and spell resistance by about 5k. For group content then, you want to aim to have enough penetration that your group won't overpenetrate. Mind you, this is more of something you do with trials groups where you want to be efficient.

In PVP, players can stack up to 32K ish resistances (or higher), so its more useful to stack penetration so you can get through your enemy's resistances.
  • Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tonestar34 wrote: »

Penetration overcomes physical and spell resistances.

So in PVE, most mobs have about 9k resistances and bosses have around 18k resistances. In a group, you'll get certain amounts of penetration from group buffs and debuffs. For example, your tank can provide Major Fracture and Major Breach by using the Pierce Armor taunt, which debuffs physical and spell resistance by about 5k. For group content then, you want to aim to have enough penetration that your group won't overpenetrate. Mind you, this is more of something you do with trials groups where you want to be efficient.

In PVP, players can stack up to 32K ish resistances (or higher), so its more useful to stack penetration so you can get through your enemy's resistances.

Remember that penetration is close to useless against classes that stack shields, and some damage like bleeds ignores armor anyway so stacking penitration with a bleed build is counter productive.
    Edited by Chrlynsch on August 21, 2018 5:36PM
    Caius
    Pack Leader of Scourge Alliance- First Fang of Hircine, The Beast of Bruma
    PC NA