The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

More profitable to destroy gear and sell mats? - PS4

tallscot
tallscot
Hey, everyone. PS4 North America player here.

I'm 300 in the game and I'm at a point where all my gear is Legendary and I'm wanting to make some gold.

For a little while, I was taking gear I got that was green/blue and improving them to purple and then selling them at a guild store. Turns out that most purple gear might sell at 3,000 gold. I know there are exceptions, but my experience so far has shown that things sell at about 3,000. It seems that the mats needed to improve to purple get more gold on the guild store by themselves than purple gear.

So now I'm only selling gear that drops that is purple and I'm destroying everything I get that is white/green/blue.

It also seems like taking 120 material and making a 160 cp special set piece and then improving it to purple/gold is a huge net loss as well. I made a chest cloth piece of Julianos Divines and sold it at 10K gold as a white piece. 120 ancestor silk will get you about 7,800 gold quickly. That chest took several days to sell. And the mats required to make it purple or gold get way more gold, a lot more quickly, than this chest would get.

If you have any advice on making money with crafting or selling mats, etc, please feel free to share. I'm a newb for sure. THanks!
Edited by tallscot on August 21, 2018 1:05PM
North America - PS4
  • tallscot
    tallscot
    Ugh, my title has a typo. Wish you could edit posts. :) ha
    North America - PS4
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tallscot wrote: »
    Ugh, my title has a typo. Wish you could edit posts. :) ha

@tallscot

You can edit your original post, you just have to click a different place than if you were editing a reply.

At the top of the thread where the title is. Look to the right of the title. You should see an outlined star that you can click to "bookmark" this thread, and you should also see a solid, black "gear". The gear icon is what you click to edit the initial post.

As for your actual question in the post. It will almost always be more profitable to sell raw mats than to sell gear. Definitely in the case of crafted gear, because at this point nearly everyone has access to a crafter of their own or a friend/guild mate who will craft it for only the cost of materials. So there's minimal market to sell crafted set pieces in traders.

For dropped/overland gear, I never improve it before listing it. If the item is in a desirable trait (divines, infused, etc), or just a hard to find item (mother's sorrow inferno staff), the color of the item won't matter. People will gladly buy it and improve it themselves.

And raw material tends to sell better, and for a higher price, than refined materials. Let other people play the RNG roulette for tempers and sell stacks of raw wood, ore, and silk. Silk will always sell faster than leather, and tempering alloys and rosin sell higher/faster than dreugh wax thanks to the bots who farm leather scraps.

Hope that provides some insight.

Edit to rephrase...
    Edited by Feric51 on August 20, 2018 6:57PM
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• tallscot
    tallscot
    Ahhh! Fantastic. I found the gear to edit my posts. Thank you!

Also, thank you for the insight on selling/crafting. And raw materials? Wow! Never thought that would sell. I will check it out. Great info!

Thank you, so much. Have a great day.

Cheers
    Scot
    North America - PS4
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    One other thing I noticed in your post, the chest piece you made probably took so long to sell because it was light.
    Most players will be wanting to use 5/1/1 on there armor for the undaunted passive, so they will want the chest in heavy for more protection
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    tallscot wrote: »
    Hey, everyone. PS4 North America player here.

I'm 300 in the game and I'm at a point where all my gear is Legendary and I'm wanting to make some gold.

For a little while, I was taking gear I got that was green/blue and improving them to purple and then selling them at a guild store. Turns out that most purple gear might sell at 3,000 gold. I know there are exceptions, but my experience so far has shown that things sell at about 3,000. It seems that the mats needed to improve to purple get more gold on the guild store by themselves than purple gear.

So now I'm only selling gear that drops that is purple and I'm destroying everything I get that is white/green/blue.

It also seems like taking 120 material and making a 160 cp special set piece and then improving it to purple/gold is a huge net loss as well. I made a chest cloth piece of Julianos Divines and sold it at 10K gold as a white piece. 120 ancestor silk will get you about 7,800 gold quickly. That chest took several days to sell. And the mats required to make it purple or gold get way more gold, a lot more quickly, than this chest would get.

If you have any advice on making money with crafting or selling mats, etc, please feel free to share. I'm a newb for sure. THanks!

lol, you numpty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fWniDvEFf4
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • Haenk
    Haenk
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about XBOX or console economy, but I vendor the useless stuff - deconstructing gear results in less overall value (unless purple or gold, but you better sell those via guild store). Selling 100 items to the vendor easily nets a couple of k.
    Upgrading to sell is pointless - well, it's not actually, but you will make less profit. So don't do it.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Um, are you bugnuts?

Sell only Ornate
    Research any and all traits you can.
    Deconstruct everything else.
    Max all your crafting skills and learn all the traits.
    Learn any motifs you find.

Save your materials for daily crafting writs. You'll get at least 3k/char/day. You'll also get recipes, gold level improvement items, survey reports etc.
    At max crafting levels you will start to see master writs. Complete the ones you can, buy motif pages if they aren't too expensive to make it possible to complete the writ. Sell any writs you can't complete.
    You can sell items from the mastercraft mediator.
    You can sell gold level tempers, resins, tanins etc.

Outlevel your materials? Save them for when you realize you can make a lot of gold by doing dailies on multiple characters.

*smfh*
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I sell all white-level gear, unless they are intricate, as I decon those for mats. I typically decon everything else for mats as I don't find the merchant prices for green to purple to be significantly different than the whites.

Only exceptions are certain set pieces. Green or blue Spriggan's or Mother's Sorrow will usually net far more than anything purple in a less-desirable set. I saw a purple Spriggan's dagger going for 50,000 that was snatched up almost immediately. Jewelry of any level seems to fetch anywhere from 1,000 to 5,000, with purple at the higher end. But a weapon or armor piece for something like Vanus or Order of Diagna, I will typically decon as its just not worth the effort.
    Edited by El_Borracho on September 11, 2018 9:54PM
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you have a steady stock of blue and green mats, sell all white/green/blue trash gear to the merchant and decon all trash purples. Make sure to look at the style the trash gear is before selling to the merchant, if it is a unique style, like apostle for eg, decon it for the style mat.
    Sell any decent gear to players, don't bother improving them, the colours mean nothing to people who want to buy it, unless it is gold of course, which most people would't buy unless it was cheap.