Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Controller scheme tweak

stitchesofdooom
stitchesofdooom
✭✭✭✭
So I play PC, but I couch game with a controller.

Yes, I'm aware that this is sacrilege and that I should be deeply ashamed of myself. I live with this shame every day *nods*

Anyway, can the controller scheme be improved so that the quest toggle button is changed to a secondary potion while in combat?
Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
PCMR EU.
  • Xerge
    Xerge
    ✭✭✭
    you can actually use the default key-binding UI to manipulate the controller keybinds. For example almost any button has a secondary 'hold' you can use. Try toggle mount, and hold down the A button; now you toggle the mount by holding down A.

The best thing I did was assign jump to right stick down, weapon swap to A, interact with environment to =, and autorun to a d-pad button. On an xbox controller obviously; same idea for PS4 I would imagine.

This config made the game playable via controller because the way combat works and needing access to certain actions like weapon swapping on the fly. Otherwise you might as well throw the controller out the window.

*edited my post to better inform others; didn't understand buttons can be 'held down' for another button-bind. The more you know.
    Edited by Xerge on August 20, 2018 2:38AM
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    interesting, cheers.
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been using a controller for 3 years now. Like the other person suggested you can do more keybinding.

Only thing I've changed is making my Right Joystick press swap weapon and left on the d-pad sneak.

Recently I've been keybinding things to "___ + HOLD" so my "B + HOLD" now equips my poison via an add-on for managing poisons. "X + HOLD" now equips rapid's so via the "assist rapid riding" add-on so now I never have to have it slotted and can use it at free will. It will automatically remove itself from my bar.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xerge wrote: »
    you can actually use the default key-binding UI to manipulate the controller keybinds. However it is limited by nature; the controls for controllers use 'on hold'(which you can't change manipulate on your own) and only shoulder buttons can be used as modifiers but this doesn't work well because you need your shoulder buttons for abilities.

What does the bolded mean? I can keybind things to "____ + HOLD" the same way "Select + HOLD" uses my mount.

PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Abhaya
    Abhaya
    ✭✭✭✭
    As someone else said make your weapon swap the right joystick because you need to be able to do this on the fly and then I make sneak d-pad down. Controller support for eso works pretty well because of the limited amount of skills you can have slotted but the one issue where I think mouse keyboard has an advantage is that you cannot aim and use skills at the same time so highly mobile opponents become difficult to deal with at times.
    Abhaya - PC NA - Ebonheart Pact
    Stam Sorc 2-Hand / Bow Build: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=169103
  • Xerge
    Xerge
    ✭✭✭
    Xerge wrote: »
    you can actually use the default key-binding UI to manipulate the controller keybinds. However it is limited by nature; the controls for controllers use 'on hold'(which you can't change manipulate on your own) and only shoulder buttons can be used as modifiers but this doesn't work well because you need your shoulder buttons for abilities.

What does the bolded mean? I can keybind things to "____ + HOLD" the same way "Select + HOLD" uses my mount.

I don't use my controller often so I just double checked and youre right. I'll edit my post accordingly. Thanks for this.