The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Downloading Libs Files

Easily_Lost
Easily_Lost
✭✭✭✭✭
I have many addons that have stopped working because it says that they need Library files.
Q1: Should I start to download all the library files that my addons use?
Q2: Will the authors start to remove the library files from there addons?
PC - NA - AD
started April 2015
PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have many addons that have stopped working because it says that they need Library files.
    Q1: Should I start to download all the library files that my addons use?
    Q2: Will the authors start to remove the library files from there addons?

It's usually a good idea to download the library Addons that are commonly used by addons (LibAddonMenu for instance). This helps to ensure that the most recent version of libraries is always used by your other addons.

Libraries exist to make addon devs have an easier time adding in certain features such as the menu items found in many addons, so they are not likely to be removed by authors.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I meant by removing them from their addons, was packaging them with their downloads.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I meant by removing them from their addons, was packaging them with their downloads.

As far as I'm aware, most addon authors package libs as an "Optional Dependency" which means that they typically package a version of the lib WITH the rest of the addon files, but the lib can also be downloaded as a standalone Addon. LibStub is a tiny library which is then used to load the most updated version of the two duplicate libraries.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for myself deciced to remove the libraries from my addons time after time as they are libraries and not meant to be bundled within the addons.
    They can be installed as standalone libraries, just like adodns themselves are.

This way it's easier for Minion to update the libraries too. And you are easy able to check which version of the library you are using. There is an addon called "Votans Addon List" which will put all libraries seperated to the addon manage's bottom list. This way you can easily check which libraries got loaded ingame.
    +it shows the dependencies of addons and marks non-loaded addons red. If you hover the icon at the right column of the adodn you'll see the libraries needed (stated as ##DependsOn in the addons .txt file) for this adodn to load properly.
    -> There is still a bug in the game's addon manager where not loaded libarries are not shown with their name. So the tooltip there might show ", , LibAddonMenu-2.0" e.g. where the first 2 , , show you that there are 2 other libraries missing which weren't found at all.

There is another great addon from Votan called "Votans Settings Menu" which will show you the libraries loaded currently with their version ingame in the addon's settings menu (which is a library LibAddonMenu-2.0 :-) ) + it adds a button to the menu bar to easily open the settings menu of addons, and remember the last changed settings, so you are able to jump to the last changed settings menu again.

The additional benefit for me is that I do not need to update my addon's version just to include an updated library. This took sooooo much time in the past as libraries are updated often. Even if my adodn was not changed in any way I had to update it so the newest library was shipped with it.
    Now you can easily update the libraries with Minion and the addons do not need a repackage, new changelog, new libs included, new zip file, new description text, new upload, etc...
    This will save so much time and i'll be able to concentrate on the addon features and fixes even more.

So this is a win-win situation for you and me.

Known problems are:
    -If you donot install the libraries as standalone library, including their own library's .txt file, and you are only using the same library bundeled from another addon (withut it's own library txt file), some addons will refuse to recognize the libraries properly.
    So be sure to download them as standalone library, like a whole addon. In your elder scrolls online\live\AddOns folder must be a folder of the library then e.g. /AddOns/LibAddonMenu-2.0
    -Some libraries are not uploaded properly as a standalone version on www.esoui.com. They are missing the needed Library LibStub or don't provide a .txt file to load everything properly
    -> You need to check the comments of the libraries then if there is a zip archive with a fix for it
    -Manual extraction of libraries/adodns often raise one error:
    The zip file name is e.g. "LibAddonMenu.zip". The content is a folder called e.g. "LibAddonMenu-2.0" with some subfolders (LibStub, etc.) and files.
    If you exract this to elder scrolls online/live/AddOns manualyl be sure to remove the "Use zip file name as folder" checkbox in your ZIP extraction software!
    Otherwise the path will be wrong.

Example for a wrong path with zip filename createda as new folder:
    elder scrolls online/live/AddOns/LibAddonMenu/LibAddonMenu-2.0/...

Example for the correct foler:
    elder scrolls online/live/AddOns/LibAddonMenu-2.0/...

Your support = our both benefit
    Some ppl just complain this is so much work for them but sorry to say: You need to accept and benefit from it.
    Complaining will not solve this. Understanding how addons and libraries work, and i'm always willing to help and describe/explain this, will help you. This way you'll be able to fix small addon problems or library issues yourself in the future too.

If you got questions feel free to ask.
    Edited by Baertram on September 10, 2018 8:56AM
  • StamWhipCultist
    StamWhipCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I downloaded lib files, all works now.